Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian and alt-right Interference in democracies.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So apparently 4chan created the document and CNN published it.

Which makes it curious how John McCain apparently was the one to obtain it and give it to James Comey over a month ago - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/10/fbi-chief-given-dossier-by-john-mccain-alleging-secret-trump-russia-contacts

Who knows at this point if it's true or not, but it certainly is a new level of absurdity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which makes it curious how John McCain apparently was the one to obtain it and give it to James Comey over a month ago - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/10/fbi-chief-given-dossier-by-john-mccain-alleging-secret-trump-russia-contacts

Who knows at this point if it's true or not, but it certainly is a new level of absurdity!

https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/95568919/#95571329

Timeline checks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It seems from those posts (the one linked and the responses) that story broke November 1st? Got to admit that's confusing, or did someone just heavily hint at it or something or the likes? Sorry but I'm useless at navigating the 4chan layout so a little lost on this one! :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    It seems from those posts (the one linked and the responses) that story broke November 1st? Got to admit that's confusing, or did someone just heavily hint at it or something or the likes? Sorry but I'm useless at navigating the 4chan layout so a little lost on this one! :p

From the 4chan link it was sent to this guy. The story was apparently made up by people on 4chan.

https://sli.mg/xZjbwd

He's the one who handed it to the CIA

I don't know for sure either, but given all the hentai stuff you have to assume it's bs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

At least an event like this shows us just how bad a lot of these news sources are.

Yeah I dunno, if it's fake and the media and "intelligence" agencies fell for 4chan trolling and used it in an official report on Russia then it's insane. They'd have lost all credibility.

Still waiting for retractions and apologies before 100% believing it's fake. It might just be the internet deflecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Where in the documents does it mention the Hentai thing? This is what I found of the documents and they don't go up to 14.

documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

Where in the documents does it mention the Hentai thing? This is what I found of the documents and they don't go up to 14.

documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

You're right, people were spreading that but it turns out not to be in the document, which makes me sway more away from it being fake. If there was hentai you could auto assume it was 4chan.

I don't know what to think now.

Trump's travel records would disprove everything if needs be.

Considering the picture is from an image hosting site popular with Trump supporters I would be even more skeptical of it. The hentai thing went a bit too far but one of the guys involved is meant to be former M16 who worked with Russia, if true, I find it hard to believe he would be tricked by Trump supporters but can deal with Russia.

• Advertisement

Right,I'm not sure what to believe either, we'll find out in the next few hours I guess. The 4chan timeline shows them emailing the particular reporter who leaked the document and they're talking about it being a sex orgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

Right,I'm not sure what to believe either, we'll find out in the next few hours I guess. The 4chan timeline shows them emailing the particular reporter who leaked the document and they're talking about it being a sex orgy.

This all dates back to many months ago. People in the alt right had been mercilessly trolling media pundit Rick Wilson and he was fed this story about Trump leading up to election day, maybe a week/two weeks or so out from election day .. I can't remember exactly.. anyway he was going off on twitter that he had a bombshell to drop and that Trump was finished. I didn't know exactly what he had been told but it was well known he had been trolled hard and predictably it came to nothing. It's pretty funny this is where it all ends up with the MSM and CIA disgracing themselves again. I guess it doesn't really matter to them because no sane person would be listening to anything they have to say anyway. There is no credability there to lose so they'll run with anything.

The 4chan angle is explained well here with screenshots and what not. I'm not discounting it might be true just so I don't have egg on my face if it turns out that way :p

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-10/4chan-claims-have-fabricated-anti-trump-report-hoax

Trump was meant to be in front of the press tomorrow, I am assuming no questions will be taken. The fact that this hasn't been thrown aside completely by those outside of the biggest supporters is damning. If something like this came out about any of the past presidents or other candidates it would have been ignored.
    meepins wrote: »
    This all dates back to many months ago. People in the alt right had been mercilessly trolling media pundit Rick Wilson and he was fed this story about Trump leading up to election day, maybe a week/two weeks or so out from election day .. I can't remember exactly.. anyway he was going off on twitter that he had a bombshell to drop and that Trump was finished. I didn't know exactly what he had been told but it was well known he had been trolled hard and predictably it came to nothing. It's pretty funny this is where it all ends up with the MSM and CIA disgracing themselves again. I guess it doesn't really matter to them because no sane person would be listening to anything they have to say anyway. There is no credability there to lose so they'll run with anything.

Interesting how people's standards suddenly rise.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101381387&postcount=867

The 4chan angle is explained well here with screenshots and what not. I'm not discounting it might be true just so I don't have egg on my face if it turns out that way :p

zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-10/4chan-claims-have-fabricated-anti-trump-report-hoax

Anyone a little more reliable?

zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-10/cnbc-shill-publishes-story-calling-trump-delete-his-twitter-account

I get a feeling they may not be unbiased.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

Interesting how people's standards suddenly rise.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101381387&postcount=867

I don't get it? That was a very damaging video for people involved with the DNC.

Anyone a little more reliable?

zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-10/cnbc-shill-publishes-story-calling-trump-delete-his-twitter-account

I get a feeling they may not be unbiased.

Nah, just posted it to give the 4chan angle and timeline.

Like I said I don't know what to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

You're right, people were spreading that but it turns out not to be in the document, which makes me sway more away from it being fake. If there was hentai you could auto assume it was 4chan.

I don't know what to think now.

Trump's travel records would disprove everything if needs be.

There is tonnes of subtle little mentions of Jews in the document though which is very much the sort of antisemitism 4 chan do.
    Interesting times ahead.

Trumps lawyer who was mentioned in the report. BTW could there be libel action to post a damaging news story that they themselves (cnn/buzzfeed) claim is unverified? ( If it's fake )

https://twitter.com/MichaelCohen212/status/818991277685567489

The more you read it the less credible it gets.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/819033352594423808

• Advertisement

It is a compilation from multiple source so some parts may be true, others false.

I have no idea why Wikileaks are getting involved. There is enough suspicion on them for being biased. Have they decided to move into the fact checking business?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Trumps lawyer who was mentioned in the report. BTW could there be libel action to post a damaging news story that they themselves (cnn/buzzfeed) claim is unverified? ( If it's fake )
    Why on earth is he publishing a photograph of the front cover of a US passport? Does he think this proves something?

They've got a 100% record in authentication as far as document releases go. They know their stuff, as to what's real and what's not.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/819037478627770368

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Why on earth is he publishing a photograph of the front cover of a US passport? Does he think this proves something?

Probably implying that if he visited Prague it would be stamped in his passport. He can't tweet a picture of an empty page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Bahahahahaha this is incredible

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Bahahahahaha this is incredible

Indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Probably implying that if he visited Prague it would be stamped in his passport. He can't tweet a picture of an empty page.
    Prague is in the Schengen zone. If he flew into Prague directly from the US there'd be a stamp showing that it landed in Prague, but if he flew in via Paris or Amsterdam or Berlin or Vienna (or, of course, if he came in overland) there would be no stamp. (And I don't think there are any direct flights from the US; Delta flies the route via Amsterdam, for example.) The lack of a Prague stamp wouldn't mean that he had never been to Prague.

(Having said that, I think the story is almost certainly false, on the basis that it's too good to be true, and stories that are too good to be true are generally not true.)

They've got a 100% record in authentication as far as document releases go. They know their stuff, as to what's real and what's not.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/819037478627770368

Maybe, it is doubtful they would say it was false if there was a risk it was real. They haven't exactly been unbiased the past few months.

Looking at the 4chan stuff there isn't much there. We have an image and one link for a different post. The post they managed to find just says they told the journalist something. What they said is unknown. We have already seen one fake image.

I will be surprised if it is real but but images of text and vague predictions prove nothing.

I agree it's impossible to know for sure but I think it's highly unlikely to be true if Wikileaks says it's bogus. The report is full of slander.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Prague is in the Schengen zone. If he flew into Prague directly from the US there'd be a stamp showing that it landed in Prague, but if he flew in via Paris or Amsterdam or Berlin or Vienna (or, of course, if he came in overland) there would be no stamp. (And I don't think there are any direct flights from the US; Delta flies the route via Amsterdam, for example.) The lack of a Prague stamp wouldn't mean that he had never been to Prague.

(Having said that, I think the story is almost certainly false, on the basis that it's too good to be true, and stories that are too good to be true are generally not true.)

Yeah, this guy https://twitter.com/gavinsblog did some research on his tweets and geotags. Not that it's any proof one way or another, but no tweets show up geotagged from Prague, or anywhere outside the US.

Advertisement