Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Components for VR

Options
  • 06-12-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi All,

Below are my PC's current components, the build was assembled by Vibox. I currently only use it for older gaming titles but am interested in upgrading to work with an Occulus Rift. My budget is about 1000 euros (obviously not including price of the Rift). I'd be very grateful for any input into what I should be looking to get. My main concern is the GPU.

24x DVD-RW Optical Drive (Don't use but see no harm in keeping).

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

AMD ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Graphics Card

AMD FX-4300 CPU

2TB Sata III Hard Drive - (This has been replaced with a 500 GB Crucial SSD)

XFX Pro Series 550W 80+ Bronze PSU - CORE

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Hi All,

Below are my PC's current components, the build was assembled by Vibox. I currently only use it for older gaming titles but am interested in upgrading to work with an Occulus Rift. My budget is about 1000 euros (obviously not including price of the Rift). I'd be very grateful for any input into what I should be looking to get. My main concern is the GPU.

24x DVD-RW Optical Drive (Don't use but see no harm in keeping).

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

AMD ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Graphics Card

AMD FX-4300 CPU

2TB Sata III Hard Drive - (This has been replaced with a 500 GB Crucial SSD)

XFX Pro Series 550W 80+ Bronze PSU - CORE

Thanks in advance

GPU Msi armor 1070
    CPU i7 6700
    Motherboard Msi h170 gaming m3
    Ram crucail 2x4 GB
    Case nzxt 340s (no room for optical drive so swap for another if necessary)

Approx 1050

Reuse PSU and SSD.

Sell all your older bits and bobs should get back over 100 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You would probably get away with upgrading to an FX8350 if you want to keep the same board and ram, thought it would be fairly far behind an i5-6600 or i7-6700, but still pretty OK in general for gaming and VR.

Obviously for VR you would need a much better graphics card, with that budget I would agree a GTX1070 is ideal.

Right at this moment, the FX4300 is actually the major bottleneck, the HD7850 is pretty dated but still gets through the latest games pretty OK at 1080p medium or so.

I'd probably just take the plunge and go with Sterling's suggestion and pony up for a full system overhaul, sell the old board/cpu/ram/GPU for €180 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to go with the suggested components. One question I have remaining is should I look at anything else for cooling?

Thanks

Advertisement