Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Orders with Amazon - No return needed?

Options
  • 06-12-2016 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else had this before with Amazon?

Bought three ps4 games which arrived in one parcel today. One of them wasn't what I wanted (I stupidly ordered an older version, and thought I was getting the more recent sequel)

Went on the site to go through the returns process. It obviously wasnt a case of a clothes item not fitting, or a faulty electrical appliance, so I chose "accidental order" as the reason for return.
    Thought it would give me a docket to stick to my parcel as per usual before sending it back to them, but it says they are going to go ahead and process the refund right away (£18) and there is no need to return the item? :confused:

Seems odd? I'm pretty sure anything I've ever ordered from them had to be returned and inspected before a refund was processed......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What's your issue? Your getting a refund which is what you wanted without the hassle of a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

What's your issue? Your getting a refund which is what you wanted without the hassle of a return.

Why does it have to be an issue? I'm aware it's very convenient for me thanks!

I'd just like to know whats the thinking behind this, does it apply to only certain items etc etc. It seems a crazy business policy to me is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have heard of it in few cases. Mainly in older stock. Basically the cost of returning and processing the item is not worth it to Amazon who may or may not ever sell the item again and are unlikely to sell it at a high enough price to cover the cost of the processing the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Agricola wrote: »
    Why does it have to be an issue? I'm aware it's very convenient for me thanks!

I'd just like to know whats the thinking behind this, does it apply to only certain items etc etc. It seems a crazy business policy to me is all.

You posted in consumer issues. That usually means there's an issue no need for the smart comment???

Miaireland wrote: »
    I have heard of it in few cases. Mainly in older stock. Basically the cost of returning and processing the item is not worth it to Amazon who may or may not ever sell the item again and are unlikely to sell it at a high enough price to cover the cost of the processing the return.

That makes a lot of sense. The game is 4 years old and a sequel released this year is out. Knowing their track record it's only going to drop heavily in price after Xmas anyway.
    Pretty sweet. Might stick it up on adverts. Will pay for a few cups of coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazon have been known to do this for straight up "I don't like it" returns - although not often and definitely not repeatedly for the same person.

As above, the costs of processing the return may be more than the product is worth to them. If you want to use something like camelcamelcamel to see if it had been heavily reduced at some point that'd give an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Agricola wrote:
    That makes a lot of sense. The game is 4 years old and a sequel released this year is out. Knowing their track record it's only going to drop heavily in price after Xmas anyway. Pretty sweet. Might stick it up on adverts. Will pay for a few cups of coffee!

If you do maybe consider passing the money onto a Charity. I know the Simon Community and Saint Vincent de Paul could do with help at this time of year. Karma.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you do maybe consider passing the money onto a Charity. I know the Simon Community and Saint Vincent de Paul could do with help at this time of year. Karma.

Funny you mention charity,
    When Amazon tell people to keep stuff now and then its actually common for Amazon to often ask customers to consider giving the item to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabaal wrote: »
    Funny you mention charity,
    When Amazon tell people to keep stuff now and then its actually common for Amazon to often ask customers to consider giving the item to charity

May be item specific - I've been asked to give a double-delivered book to a library before. Games are not that widely accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I ordered a DVD before and there was slight damage to the case. Nothing much but it was for a present so I asked them to replace it. They sent out a new one and asked that I donate the first to a charity shop. Wasn't worth them paying for me to return it when they couldn't sell it again because of the damage.

• Advertisement

Good idea.
    Actually, I heard a radio ad recently asking for people to donate their old consoles somewhere so kids (orphans?) would have videogames for Xmas. Does anyone happen to know what charity or organisation that is?

Advertisement