Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting advice

Options
  • 06-12-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello Irish guys,

I have following situation:

I am IT contractor invoicing from within European Union to Irish IT company. My contract is currently for 6 months and I am already on 4th month now.

I invoice monthly with 0 VAT rate and specify that reverse-charge applies, it is completely legal to invoice from one EU country to another so I am fine. Irish company now came to me and said that after 6 months I would have to create Irish limited company.

My question is - if I create Irish limited company and would like to invoice myself as before (to another EU country) - what are the limitations ?

This is what I know:
    * if getting services from another EU country (as Irish ltd) I would have to register for VAT
    * I can invoice from another EU country my Irish Ltd unless I have tax residency in Ireland (which is 180 days per year, two consecutive years it is I think 280)

Thanks

Jirka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sanchito

Is it possible to have LTD company with only one director or is the secretary required ? Also I would not like to have any payroll in Ireland.

Jirka

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sanchito wrote: »
    Hello Irish guys,

I have following situation:

I am IT contractor invoicing from within European Union to Irish IT company. My contract is currently for 6 months and I am already on 4th month now.

I invoice monthly with 0 VAT rate and specify that reverse-charge applies, it is completely legal to invoice from one EU country to another so I am fine. Irish company now came to me and said that after 6 months I would have to create Irish limited company.

My question is - if I create Irish limited company and would like to invoice myself as before (to another EU country) - what are the limitations ?

This is what I know:
    * if getting services from another EU country (as Irish ltd) I would have to register for VAT
    * I can invoice from another EU country my Irish Ltd unless I have tax residency in Ireland (which is 180 days per year, two consecutive years it is I think 280)

Thanks

Jirka

It doesn't matter where you're resident if you have a Ltd. company. The company operates exactly the same as any other Irish company. Not sure why they want you to set up an Irish company but if they're insisting I suppose you'll have to. Quite a bit of work involved.

Thanks for reply, what accounting software would you guys recommend ? There will be just two invoices per month - one to invoice the Irish company second is the incoming invoice for service of myself.

Another question - what would be the suggested amount I should pay to file the taxes by the end of the year ? Given the information above (no payrolls - if possible) two invoices a month. I would like to make the accounting myself with probably Bullet HQ software.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

My best advice would be to go to a search engine and type "IT Contract Accounting". There are plenty of companies out there that charge small enough fees. Maybe ask colleagues who they use and recommend.

I was an accountant in a previous life and recently set up my own company. I got someone else to do it, it just takes the hassle out of it. But shop around, there are some cowboys out there. I worked with about 30 IT contractors in that previous life... I'm surprised the Revenue Commissioners are still turning a blind eye to it (employee vs contractor in IT).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 irlcncrk

Hi,
    They want you to go limited as I presume you're currently billing them as a self employed contractor and they don't want hassle from the revenue thinking that you should be documented as an employee with all that that involves.

In the short/medium term take a look at umbrella company services, as has already been mentioned. They'd handle all the revenue returns, vat issues and payroll for a monthly fee. They'd also give you a good overview on expenses that can be claimed.

If your contract were to be long term your own limited company may well be a better option, umbrella company could sort that for you also.

I've no recommendations for you, maybe someone on here could offer suggestions. There's always good old google!

Best of luck.

Advertisement