Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give me some hope for my cat!

• 06-12-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

My lovely 3yr old tabby tom cat has been missing since last night. It's very unlike him, he's an indoor/outdoor cat who comes and goes as he likes during the day but is in at night. He never goes far and comes straight away when you call him.

I only let him out later than usual last night because I had him locked in the sitting room most of yesterday when I was painting the kitchen.

There's been no sign of him all last night or today, I've been walking and driving around for hours calling him. I've looked everywhere I can think of. We live in the middle of nowhere so there's no neighbours who feed him or anything.

I'm so worried about him and I'm fearing the worst at this stage.

Has anyones cat disappeared for a while and turned up again? Cheer me up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, one night isn't a big deal for a cat, though I understand how you start to worry when he is mostly around. My very home loving tabby occasionally takes off for 24 hours or so, has always come back so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

looksee wrote:
    Yes, one night isn't a big deal for a cat, though I understand how you start to worry when he is mostly around. My very home loving tabby occasionally takes off for 24 hours or so, has always come back so far!

Hopefully he'll turn up soon. I'm extra panicked because I had a cat a few years ago that went out one day and vanished for good, although she had been unwell before she disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Is he a full tom or a neuter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BlueSkyes

Hello, I know the feeling as my cats are also like this they go out during the day and come home before night.
    Occasionally they come home late maybe got distracted with something but like looksee has said my cats have always come home usually later on in the night and the longest was the next morning. Maybe it is the same case for your tabby too so don't worry to much.

Is your cat microchipped btw? Maybe you can post a picture of him online in your area in case someone has seen him.
    I hope he returns home soon to you. I really know the feeling of cat returning late always get so worried.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My cat has spent has spent a couple of nights recently out all night. He has done it occassionally in the past as well.
    I think that someone is feeding him and getting company from him during the night.....he's not arriving home cold!

When I was worrying then, the best advice I was given is that cats will always return to their home.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote:
    Is he a full tom or a neuter?

He's neutered so he's not gone after the ladies anyway! He is microchipped. He had a collar with his name and my number until a couple of weeks ago. When he lost it I replaced the collar but hadn't gotten around to getting a new tag. I'm kicking myself now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

He's neutered so he's not gone after the ladies anyway! He is microchipped. He had a collar with his name and my number until a couple of weeks ago. When he lost it I replaced the collar but hadn't gotten around to getting a new tag. I'm kicking myself now!

Ah don't blame yourself. I know you said you are rural, any chance he headed off for a feed from the neighbours?

Hopefully he will be back very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I read something once where if you put out his litter tray, he can smell his way home. I never had to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My Dude went missing for a night last summer, I posted here about it too. I was out of my mind with worry as he had been sick (happened about a month before he passed away) and had convinced something had happened him. He showed up the following evening warm and dry and not looking for his dinner so he obviously found a nice spot for himself for the night!
    Also had another old cat when I was Frodo, who went missing for 10 months (he was an outdoor cat). We were convinced he was gone, even got two new kittens in the meantime.. then he showed up one morning while I was getting ready for school sitting on the windowsill waiting for his breakfast as if nothing had happened!
    Cats are a mystery, and it's sickeningly worrying when they are missing; but fingers crossed everything will be fine and he'll show up looking for his grub soon!

Knine wrote:
    Ah don't blame yourself. I know you said you are rural, any chance he headed off for a feed from the neighbours?

My only neighbours are farmers and wouldn't be the sort to feed cats. My biggest fear is some of them have left out poison.

This will be his second night gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Oh poor you.
    I hope he comes home tonight.
    Could he have gotten locked in in a shed at your farmer neighbour?
    Tux stayed out for a night/day once, and I thought she was gone - fingers crossed, your little chap will make it home tonight

Still no sign of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Call around to your neighbors and see if he's in any of the sheds. I had a cat missing for weeks and than one day by chance I had to pop into my neighbors and there she was all snuggled up on the old ladies lap.Do ask your neighbors if they left rat poison out. If you can get your hands on a can with his kibble rattle that. Further - is he a large cat? or one that would fit in a car engine?

Still no sign of him. I've asked the neighbours and put up posters in the local shops. I'm fearing the worst.

Cats are territorial.Whilst ferals can roam for miles a pet cat simply won't.This will give you an idea
    https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/205315
    Could he have gotten into an engine?

Farmers try to poison fixes but they won't tell you that. He's a large cat, doubt he would have gotten into an engine.

If he had ingested poison he would have made it home.it takes some time to act.Furthermore, would you find your cat poisoned - which i doubt, get a report and involve the gards. Laying poison is illegal. again - ask your neighbours to check their sheds...otherwsie you've done what you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Could be he's shut in a shed, or just out exploring?

We have cats that head off on their hols - the longest being 7 weeks.

For the others not used to wandering, if they do head off - then so do I - and I shout as loud as I can for them. Generally they will hear and come back, but you need to keep doing it. (few neighbours that there are are well used to me by now.)

I hope your boy comes home soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. There have been times when she hasn't turned up when expected. Once she was lockedin our attic. OH had been up getting something, she scooted by the ladder when he wasn't looking and only discovered her after searching for her outside. Most of the time she doesn't turn up when expected it is because we've locked her into the shed by accident.

Check your shed and then call to the neighbours and ask them to check their sheds. Does she answer when called? Our cat is very vocal! Which helps alot when she's locked in the attic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Snookercues

My cat disappeared for 7 days - it was very out of character for her... She was trapped in a neighbours shed, so it really is worth calling around all houses near you and asking them to check house and outhouses.

I hope she returns - it is very stressful!

Laying poison is illegal.

It most certainly is not illegal to lay poison for pest control. Laying poison for rats in particular is part of any well managed farm yard.

It is very unlikely poison is the problem those as its slow acting so the cat would easily make it home after eating it.

Guess who popped in the window last night screaming for his dinner?? Fast asleep on the bed now! I'm so relived he's home, thank you to everyone who replied!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

So please he's back. It's so horrible when they go off travelling.

:heart: delighted for you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

That's cats for ya :P They break your heart ... Happy for you he's back home!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Delighted for you! The worst part is that they don't care about how happy you are they are back :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Delighted for you! The worst part is that they don't care about how happy you are they are back :P
    Yes, and despite asking them over and over again they'll never tell you where they got to! Time for a cat GPS tracker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

We found our cat after six months and some 15 miles away. Don't give up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

It's a cat, cats don't give a fck. They have no loyalty, like dogs. Cats are independent, they can look after themselves. You mean nothing to them, at al,l so just get a new one if you must.

Forget about your old cat, trust me he/she has already forgotten about you.

Mod note: Red carded for being a dick.
    Posts like this will not be tolerated in this forum.
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Rainman16 wrote: »
    It's a cat, cats don't give a fck. They have no loyalty, like dogs. Cats are independent, they can look after themselves. You mean nothing to them, at al,l so just get a new one if you must.

Forget about your old cat, trust me he/she has already forgotten about you.

Well your post is not only clueless, but also heartless.
    My cat is very loyal and affectionate, and cried like a baby when we took him home after he was lost last year.

OP I'm delighted to hear your guy came home. I was about to tell you not to give up, as I found my fella last summer after three months missing. He'd jumped into a van at the house and ended up in a nearby town several miles away.
    Make sure to spoil him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP Im so glad your cat is home - when I saw your new post, I was nearly afraid to look in case it was bad news - as long as he doesnt make a habit of taking off and giving you stressful few days. Wonder where he was the little maggot - wouldnt it be lovely to have a camera on him :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Great to see he turned up !!

I was about to post to check all neighbours places as my Mams cat used to dissapear for a day here and there - then one time he was gone for 3 days and she was really worried, he turned up with what looked like coal dust on his paws - he had gotten trapped in a neighbours shed !

:D

Cats are gas like that they can have these unknown adventures :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Super that he turned up. Feckers aren't they. Cats are great. I have three. One super friendly, one getting friendly and one still quite feral. Their is a theory out there that cats are aloof as put across in an earlier post. Yes they can be but I find they are very affectionate. One of mine follows me everywhere. I hear the jingle of her collar bell behind me most times. I find my three fascinating to watch. I love how they are so clean. Mine are indoor and seem content. I had a dog before so a cat never mind three was a big departure. But its been wonderful. So easy to mind.

Cats are not loyal??? grrrrrrrrrrr. I have a girl who came to me 9 years ago.Totally feral and pregnant. Wouldn't let me near her until the day she delivered and one of the kittens wanted out tail first (very difficult for mothercat).She decided at that point I was trustworthy and let me help.She is very adventurous and has climbed in 2 different vans and has been transported as far as the next town (about 20 miles away). I know cause the vandriver called when he opened his doors and a black and white streak shot out of the van. She always came home. On her own!!She follows me around when I walk the dog.demands to be lifted and carried when the land is mucky. >fuming<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Delighted to hear ur lovely friend is back !! I consider my cat my friend he is an amazingly loyal animal . Id be lost without him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement