Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quando Wheels and service intervals

Options
  • 06-12-2016 6:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with Quando road wheels? I bought a rear wheel maybe August September from my LBS, cash being a bit tight this year, and already a fair amount of play has developed. The drive side bearings are quite dull, cone is a bit pitted and the bearing surface feels rough. Based on the state of the grease it looks like a load of road crud got in causing friction. I'm averaging 140km a week so I probably should have serviced it much sooner but I would've expected the wheel to get me through the winter at least. Am I expecting too much from the hub and how often would you expect to have to service the hub? THoughts, comments and occasional insults welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Quando stuff is relatively basic, and not sealed, so 140km/week in all weathers will mean they'll need frequent servicing to survive.

For now, replace the cone and bearings (your LBS should have a suitable cone and loose bearings knocking around) and be prepared to re-grease them every month or so.

While in theory, you shouldn't over-pack bearings with too much grease, a bit of extra grease, especially at the unsealed gap between the rotating and static parts will keep crud out a bit better.

If you do replace the wheel, try to get one with sealed cassette bearings - you can get even quite basic hybrid wheels with them, although most of those are the unsealed Quando ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Type 17 wrote: »
    Quando stuff is relatively basic, and not sealed, so 140km/week in all weathers will mean they'll need frequent servicing to survive.

For now, replace the cone and bearings (your LBS should have a suitable cone and loose bearings knocking around) and be prepared to re-grease them every month or so.

While in theory, you shouldn't over-pack bearings with too much grease, a bit of extra grease, especially at the unsealed gap between the rotating and static parts will keep crud out a bit better.

If you do replace the wheel, try to get one with sealed cassette bearings - you can get even quite basic hybrid wheels with them, although most of those are the unsealed Quando ones.

Thanks so do you mean cartridge bearings or just ones that are sealed by a proper dust shield?

Thanks so do you mean cartridge bearings or just ones that are sealed by a proper dust shield?

Yes cartridge bearings, as if/when they wear out, you can change them and the rest of the wheel will be fine - cup-and-cone wheels are toast once the cups become worn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Thanks for the clarification. By the way is it common for the drive side to wear down more. The bearings on the left-hand side of the hub were nice and shiny as opposed to the right ones.

The bearings on the drive-side are under more load, but they shouldn't degrade sooner, I reckon that water/grit got in and spoiled the grease, leading to the lack of lubrication and accelerated wear. That could happen on either side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP crap bearings, with crap grease and crap seals won't last long!

Generally you'll probably do better with bearings from a bearing shop (there is somewhere in Finglas I think), seals will depend on wheel you buy.

On grease the post on page 1 from CJ is good
    http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42374#p341163

https://www.pli-petronas.com/assets/pdf/products/iml/grease/petronas-grease-lix-syn-1-1500.pdf

Advertisement