Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due August 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Hello!

Happy to be joining you all in this thread! Our little baby is due on August 14th <3 Like a few others I'm living abroad and navigating a system I know nothing about. Although, being my first pregnancy I feel like I know nothing at all anyway.

I had a scare yesterday as I woke up with some light pink bleeding which progressed to a dark brown throughout the day. I was so upset and stressed. We went to a private hospital and I had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed us the heartbeat :) The doctor said there was nothing wrong with the pregnancy and that we could relax. Apparently 1 in 4 spot or bleed at some point during the pregnancy.

We had the pregnancy confirmed by my Irish GP during the Christmas break and we're booking a 10 week scan once we find a maternity hospital. Is there anything else we should be doing? I know nothing about HCG levels?

I've been feeling tired with back pain and headaches, anybody else experiencing symptoms?

I'm so happy! Congrats to everyone :)

I'm very early days yet, could be 5 weeks tomorrow so would be September rather than August - have to wait until next week to see my GP as she's on leave and I don't want to go to a different doctor. I am getting some cramping though, feeling a bit on the tired side and some back pain (which my boyfriend reckons I have to be imagining this early!). Also my boobs have got bigger already!

Hoping to book an early scan once I've seen GP and will need to decide on hospital too - in Dublin so will be going to Coombe or Holles St, anyone know do they have catchment areas or can you just pick?!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

BOB2017 wrote: »
    I'm very early days yet, could be 5 weeks tomorrow so would be September rather than August - have to wait until next week to see my GP as she's on leave and I don't want to go to a different doctor. I am getting some cramping though, feeling a bit on the tired side and some back pain (which my boyfriend reckons I have to be imagining this early!). Also my boobs have got bigger already!

Hoping to book an early scan once I've seen GP and will need to decide on hospital too - in Dublin so will be going to Coombe or Holles St, anyone know do they have catchment areas or can you just pick?!

It's your decision, whichever hospital will suit you best for appointments etc. There are specified catchment areas if you want to do the Domino scheme which is midwife led care. They are listed on the hospital websites. Domino is offered to public patients who live in certain areas; if you are outside these areas or want regular public care or semi private or private care then the hospital choice is down to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

And just to add, if you do want to go on the domino scheme (which a midwife in Holles st recently told me is the best... particularly for aftercare as a midwife will visit you at home every day for the first 5 days), then you need to get on to them pretty much as soon as you get your positive pregnancy test!

I waited until I was 11 weeks and it was too late then

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I am getting some cramping though, feeling a bit on the tired side and some back pain (which my boyfriend reckons I have to be imagining this early!). Also my boobs have got bigger already!

I'm the same. I'm eight weeks with all of the above. I'm hoping they'll pass :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congrats :) I'm a little behind you. Did an early test and it's positive. Not due my period for a few days but we've been trying and I had a 'feeling'.

Light cramping, sore boobs, tiredness, thirsty a lot and weeing a lot. Also, I'm not quite sure what I want to eat... But I KNOW I want to eat it.

Fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Thanks for the info everyone I'm kinda leaning towards the Coombe but I'm in the catchment area for Holles St domino scheme so I'm not sure what I'll do but will talk to my GP during the week. So excited to get it all confirmed with her!

So far managed to keep it quiet from everyone but have a night out on Saturday and I'm hoping no one says anything because I don't want to deny it, think I'll be claiming I'm doing dry January although someone is bound to guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mouseylocks

Hi All, Congrats on everyones BFPs!! I'm due August 17th, my first so equally terrified and excited! :-)
    Just wondering if anyone is suffering from morning sickness (though it should be called all day sickness)? I haven't really been tired, not that I've noticed but I have mild to medium nausea 100% of the time, it's my third week of it and it's beginning to really annoy me :-) i've tried ginger and ginger nut biscuits but I really don't think it works aside from a slight sugar buzz off the biscuits? Any advice / suggestions would be fantastic! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi All, Congrats on everyones BFPs!! I'm due August 17th, my first so equally terrified and excited! :-)
    Just wondering if anyone is suffering from morning sickness (though it should be called all day sickness)? I haven't really been tired, not that I've noticed but I have mild to medium nausea 100% of the time, it's my third week of it and it's beginning to really annoy me :-) i've tried ginger and ginger nut biscuits but I really don't think it works aside from a slight sugar buzz off the biscuits? Any advice / suggestions would be fantastic! :-)

Congrats Mouseylocks! I am defo nauseous all day! I only get relief when I eat a big meal of carbs like pasta! I find plain vanilla ice cream, 7up, gin gin ginger sweets from the health food shop and ginger tea all help. Waking up every night at 3.30am and unable to get back to sleep til 7 so finding work tough and looking forward to sleep all weekend!

Where are you going to? :)

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    Congrats Mouseylocks! I am defo nauseous all day! I only get relief when I eat a big meal of carbs like pasta! I find plain vanilla ice cream, 7up, gin gin ginger sweets from the health food shop and ginger tea all help. Waking up every night at 3.30am and unable to get back to sleep til 7 so finding work tough and looking forward to sleep all weekend!

Where are you going to? :)
    I'll def try the ginger sweets, I'm not sure how much ginger is in the biscuits it could be more ginger flavoured than actual ginger :-) I also hadn't thought of 7up and considering that's an Irish institution when you're sick I should have :-) thanks!!

I'm going to Limerick maternity, haven't got any letter/appointment or anything though. I have my second appointment at my GPs week after next (i'll be almost 10weeks then) so I assume i'll get my appointment soon. Where are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I had constant nausea until 21/22 weeks. I couldn't really get any relief from it, and found the ginger stuff no use. Only things that helped were eating little and often - nausea got so much worse on an empty stomach - and also I found some relief when I drank ice cold fruity drinks and sucked on fruity boiled sweets.

Nausea eventually disappeared but then returned again at 27 weeks and I'm now 38 weeks and still have it. Thankfully it isn't constant or as severe as it was on the first trimester, so is much more tolerable.

• Advertisement

I'll def try the ginger sweets, I'm not sure how much ginger is in the biscuits it could be more ginger flavoured than actual ginger :-) I also hadn't thought of 7up and considering that's an Irish institution when you're sick I should have :-) thanks!!

I'm going to Limerick maternity, haven't got any letter/appointment or anything though. I have my second appointment at my GPs week after next (i'll be almost 10weeks then) so I assume i'll get my appointment soon. Where are you going to?

Ooh doesn't Limerick give out those baby boxes? Going to the Rotunda, totally clueless about the whole thing but excited!

I had constant nausea until 21/22 weeks. I couldn't really get any relief from it, and found the ginger stuff no use. Only things that helped were eating little and often - nausea got so much worse on an empty stomach - and also I found some relief when I drank ice cold fruity drinks and sucked on fruity boiled sweets.

Nausea eventually disappeared but then returned again at 27 weeks and I'm now 38 weeks and still have it. Thankfully it isn't constant or as severe as it was on the first trimester, so is much more tolerable.
    God I really hope that mine doesn't last that long!! thanks for the suggestions, think I'm going to visit Tesco tonight after work and stock up on everyone's suggestions, if even one worked that would be great!! although I should be grateful as I could be worse I haven't gotten sick or anything! #positivethinking!

Ooh doesn't Limerick give out those baby boxes? Going to the Rotunda, totally clueless about the whole thing but excited!
    They do! A friend of mine had her baby in December and got one, they're very cute and you get a few bits with them aswell! I'm the same as yourself totally clueless but excited! I'm hoping once I get over the first trimester and can let people know then all my friends with children will impart all their worldly baby information and tips and i'll be sorted! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Is anyone more nauseous after eating? Mine comes and goes throughout the day but gets worst after eating.

I also have a lot of cramping throughout the day (like period pains). No bleeding at all so I'm not too worried but they can be sore. Don't last very long though at all.

I know you're not meant to have a bath but I felt so sick today I got one (not very hot). It was so relaxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

I had terrible sickness on my first up to 20 weeks, ended up in hospital few times. Sucking on a hard sweet gave me relief the odd time or if i ate something starchy like mcdonalds chips.
    I have had no sickness this time so im a bit worried

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

Starface I'm the very same, I feel sick after eating and it's always worse in the evening. Ginger tea has been helping but not always,I read that drinking a lot of water helps too but I'm not convinced. I was so hungry last week was eating all around me, trying to be a bit more careful this week but I've an hour bike ride every day for work and feel like it's making it worse! Having a lot of pinches and aches today I'm assuming this is just stuff stretching inside? Have first midwife appointment next week so can get all my answers!!

Meubles wrote: »
    Starface I'm the very same, I feel sick after eating and it's always worse in the evening. Ginger tea has been helping but not always,I read that drinking a lot of water helps too but I'm not convinced. I was so hungry last week was eating all around me, trying to be a bit more careful this week but I've an hour bike ride every day for work and feel like it's making it worse! Having a lot of pinches and aches today I'm assuming this is just stuff stretching inside? Have first midwife appointment next week so can get all my answers!!

Yeah I was so hungry last week too. Nearly died when I weighted myself. Loss of appetite kicked in over the weekend.

Fair play to you cycling - I'm so tired after work I'm struggling to do any exercise. I'm really conscious of putting on weight too early. I don't mind putting on weight for the baby. I just don't want to put on unnecessary weight.

How come you are getting in to see the midwife so early? Are you going private? I found out last week that Wexford don't offer a scan until 20 weeks so I have to wait a long time before I see anyone but my doctor.

I have a feeling I'm having twins too - sounds completely insane I know but it's just a feeling. I don't mind either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

Not sure how long the cycling will last! I live in Holland so it's the normal way to get about! Also the system here is intake around week 8 for blood tests and history then first scan at 10 weeks and I think again somewhere between 12 and 16 for gender scan which I definitely want to do. So tired today already :/

starface wrote: »
    Yeah I was so hungry last week too. Nearly died when I weighted myself. Loss of appetite kicked in over the weekend.

Fair play to you cycling - I'm so tired after work I'm struggling to do any exercise. I'm really conscious of putting on weight too early. I don't mind putting on weight for the baby. I just don't want to put on unnecessary weight.

How come you are getting in to see the midwife so early? Are you going private? I found out last week that Wexford don't offer a scan until 20 weeks so I have to wait a long time before I see anyone but my doctor.

I have a feeling I'm having twins too - sounds completely insane I know but it's just a feeling. I don't mind either way.

Starface would you consider a private scan? We went for an early private scan on our first at about 8 weeks and it gave us great reassurance to see the little heartbeat. This time around we were going to do the same again but due to a bleed I ended up having a scan in the Early Pregnancy Unit and have another one as a follow up next week so we didn't need to book a private one in the end.
    If I remember right it was about €120 and I got half back from my health insurance.
    I do feel that 20 weeks is a very very long wait, sure we will probably be feeling kicks by then.
    As far as I remember the first standard scan in CUMH was at 12 weeks but that was two years ago now so that may have changed to longer.
    My friend was up for her routine scan last week and she had to take a number when she got there and she was number 325, when they called the next number it was number 90... she was up there waiting for 6 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tinylion

Wow thats a seriously ridiculous time to wait.

We ve finally had our intake with the midwife clinic here in the Netherlands and as a "gift" they did an ultrasound. So amazing to see that little heart beating. It was quite early at 8weeks so have to wait another 3 till the 11 week scan where they will get a more accutate due date.
    @Meubles its funny that even within the Netherlands there is so many different standards!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion! I would definitely consider a scan. Can anyone recommend the best place for an early scan? Do all hospitals offer them? I'd rather go to Wexford if possible but i could go to Dublin if need be.

I'd just have to take the full day off if I'm heading to Dublin and I'm a teacher so it's a lot of effort taking a full day off. I could head up during midterm though. I'd be around 12 weeks so that would probably work.

I was doing some investigating there and saw online that Wexford will do early scans if there is a possibility of multiples. There is a very strong history of twins on both my Mam and dads side and my husband was a twin himself (his twin was miscarried).

I completely forgot to mention this to my doctor. Do I need to book another appointment now to tell her? I don't really mind paying for an early scan but if it's possible to get it free of charge I'd gladly keep my money.

It's probably not important but I just joined this practice as I moved home in the last few months so we don't really have a relationship built up yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

starface wrote: »
    I was doing some investigating there and saw online that Wexford will do early scans if there is a possibility of multiples. There is a very strong history of twins on both my Mam and dads side and my husband was a twin himself (his twin was miscarried).

I completely forgot to mention this to my doctor. Do I need to book another appointment now to tell her? I don't really mind paying for an early scan but if it's possible to get it free of charge I'd gladly keep my money.

It's probably not important but I just joined this practice as I moved home in the last few months so we don't really have a relationship built up yet.

The fathers side history of twins has no impact on your likelyhood to have them from what I've read online, only your side of the family. Not sure how that works, but it's what I've read anyhow.

5starpool wrote: »
    The fathers side history of twins has no impact on your likelyhood to have them from what I've read online, only your side of the family. Not sure how that works, but it's what I've read anyhow.

Yeah I've heard that too. I did see a few people say online though that their Dr brought them in early for a scan because the dad's were twins.

I'm more inclined to believe though it's all down to the Mothers side - we've enough of them anyways on this side for it to be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Starface google private scan Wexford and you'll find your nearest option.

Starface google private scan Wexford and you'll find your nearest option.

Got it! Thank you.

My sickness has nearly evaporated overnight, has this ever happened anyone at 9.5 weeks? Was v sick between 6 and 9.5 weeks now it's nearly completely gone, had a MC in May when symptoms all disappeared but this time I saw a strong heartbeat in a scan last week. I'm probably paranoid but any reassurance v welcome!

My sickness has nearly evaporated overnight, has this ever happened anyone at 9.5 weeks? Was v sick between 6 and 9.5 weeks now it's nearly completely gone, had a MC in May when symptoms all disappeared but this time I saw a strong heartbeat in a scan last week. I'm probably paranoid but any reassurance v welcome!

I'm not much help as I haven't been in that situation but I'm sure everything will be fine, I think once you see a heartbeat your chances of MC go way way down.
    Just try to relax. Easier said than done I know, I'm in a panic myself as on my first pregnancy I was sick 24/7 up until week 20 and this time I have had literally zero sickness and can't stop worrying. Seen little heartbeat last week but just can't stop worrying.

I think we will worry for the rest of our lives now no matter what, I don't think it will ever stop

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tinylion

Sherlof3 my symptoms have also gone a bit down and according to my pregnancy app (great for reassurance) this may be due to the placenta taking up its job and making us less hormonal. So lets believe in that. And my midwife said once you are past 9 weeks your chances are very high everything will go well. Thumbs pressed for all of us in any case

• Advertisement

Tinylion wrote: »
    Sherlof3 my symptoms have also gone a bit down and according to my pregnancy app (great for reassurance) this may be due to the placenta taking up its job and making us less hormonal. So lets believe in that. And my midwife said once you are past 9 weeks your chances are very high everything will go well. Thumbs pressed for all of us in any case

Thanks Tinylion what's the name of the app you have?

Advertisement