Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda trainee febuary class 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

SKW17 wrote: »
    Yes, months ago x
    Oh thats great, so is it just the vetting you are waiting on, could you give HQ a ring and see what they say, sounds like you have all stages complete and maybe just give them a gentle reminder that you're still waiting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SKW17

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Oh thats great, so is it just the vetting you are waiting on, could you give HQ a ring and see what they say, sounds like you have all stages complete and maybe just give them a gentle reminder that you're still waiting ?

I emailed them a few months ago and they advised it was complete and I just had to pass my PCT.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if their was any space left in February's class or if it would be more than likely is be offered May x

I emailed them a few months ago and they advised it was complete and I just had to pass my PCT.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if their was any space left in February's class or if it would be more than likely is be offered May x
    I think you should def contact them again just in case they have forgotten about you ? I'm sorry but I don't know if spaces left but know that there 2 guys last week who were offered a place to start in feb. I'm here as my daughter has applied and she has her medical tomorrow so I'm trying to find out as much as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would ring them and see what they say. I would also advise them on the phone that you are in a position to start with minimal notice and would be willing to take the place of someone deferring etc..

Thanks for the x also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sparky_7

Anyone know if the rent allowance and other increases have come in since The start of this month or is all that yet to be officially put in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Loradublin

Does any one know what the gym is like in the college? I thought I read somewhere it's only open for like 3 hours a day....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Anyone using Apple system - iPad or laptop? I know it states windows but apple runs just as good if not better

Anyone using Apple system - iPad or laptop? I know it states windows but apple runs just as good if not better

It says "preferably" windows compatible , so if you have a mac that should be ok. I'd guess it's for handing up assignments in Microsoft office format via email or USB maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Could bootstrap Windows on to a MacBook, best of both.

• Advertisement

Vamp369 wrote: »

Have u done this? I don't think it's possible for iPad air

You could, but I would advise against it, have seen it all end in tears on some installations, hard drive bricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NCGalway

Hi , can anyone tell me where the information is about providing details about your cousins etc in the information pack? Can't seem to find it even though I know I've seen it somehere. Cheers

NCGalway wrote: »
    Hi , can anyone tell me where the information is about providing details about your cousins etc in the information pack? Can't seem to find it even though I know I've seen it somehere. Cheers
    I asked this last week too and was told that it happens after you get offered a place in Templemore, its not a form as such its more a listing you give them and its to make sure that you are not placed in a town or village where cousins reside as there could be a conflict of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NCGalway

Henry2006 wrote: »
    I asked this last week too and was told that it happens after you get offered a place in Templemore, its not a form as such its more a listing you give them and its to make sure that you are not placed in a town or village where cousins reside as there could be a conflict of interest

Ya im due to start my induction week on the 31st. Presume I'll just make my own document and give it to them then so. Cheers

Ya im due to start my induction week on the 31st. Presume I'll just make my own document and give it to them then so. Cheers
    From what I gather yes but maybe check for another reply as I'm very new to this.
    BTW congrats on getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clockwork26

Think it was on the list with the other stuff we need to bring like birt cert, qualifactions and that

TallGlass wrote: »
    You could, but I would advise against it, have seen it all end in tears on some installations, hard drive bricked.

In terms of windows id imagine we will be using - Word / PowerPoint... this is availe to apple anyways. Saving stuff to the cloud and using a USB to retrieve it from someone else's laptop would work!!

Just thinking out handy iPad would be!!

Anyone starting on the 6th but staying down the 5th and needs a lift from Galway - PM me.

Will be driving every week there after so don't hesitate to get in touch before we sign off on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Irishlad199

Well lads! Does anyone know is it just our cousins who live in Ireland that we include on the list they asked for in the information pack?
    And just another question! Does anyone know what the dress code is for the induction week in Horse and Jockey??

Well lads! Does anyone know is it just our cousins who live in Ireland that we include on the list they asked for in the information pack?
    And just another question! Does anyone know what the dress code is for the induction week in Horse and Jockey??

It says on the info pack only those resident in ROI.

I will be going suited and booted. Better to be too dressed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clockwork26

It says on the info pack only those resident in ROI.

I will be going suited and booted. Better to be too dressed up.

Will be going suited a booted myself..
    Would you say brown shoes will be alright?

Will be going suited a booted myself..
    Would you say brown shoes will be alright?

When I emailed about cousins on American visas they told me to include all cousins, so I put their Irish address down.
    Also suit and boot surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ctig00

Hi all, induction next week, with it being first aid and manual handling would dress code be casual? Or should we go formal?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Ctig00 wrote: »
    Hi all, induction next week, with it being first aid and manual handling would dress code be casual? Or should we go formal?

Hi, I've asked students that have gone through the process before and said go formal, we are required to purchase tracksuit on day 1 then wear the following 3 days

• Advertisement

Hey guys can't remember which forum i read about car insurance but mine is out in the next month, rang company and said about car being parked at college and dropped quote by €65 so if anyone due a quote etc worth trying out!

Repost if anyone missed it....

Anyone starting on the 6th but staying down the 5th and needs a lift from Galway - PM me.

Will be driving every week there after so don't hesitate to get in touch before we sign off here.

I will be traveling from North Kildare each week if anyone needs a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Repost if anyone missed it....

Will be driving every week there after so don't hesitate to get in touch before we sign off here.

I'm hoping to be down in May so I might jump in with you then!! I'm in Clare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Garda91

For people going down on induction week next week and the week after, does anyone have a clue what we need to bring down. I assume we don't need to bring the list of things they gave us down until the 13th. I'm planning on just bringing suits and casual clothing, anybody else any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coffeeguzzler

Garda91 wrote: »
    For people going down on induction week next week and the week after, does anyone have a clue what we need to bring down. I assume we don't need to bring the list of things they gave us down until the 13th. I'm planning on just bringing suits and casual clothing, anybody else any ideas?

I'm planning on bringing all the forms we need to give back to them (anything in the info pack) a notebook for all the info they're gonna throw at us, gym gear and a laptop for the evenings, money for all the stuff we need to buy and formal and normal clothes. And an extra bag to carry all the new stuff home.
    If anyone else can make more suggestions that'd be sound!

I'm bringing formal wear for the first day , we have to buy our tracksuit then on registration day so we wear them the rest of the week then. Gym gear for the hotel gym & normal clothes for evening. My forms aren't complete (some family members aren't being cooperative ha) so Bringing that the 13th (info pack says the 13th so that's grand ). Laptop too! I'm
    Also open to hearing other people's suggestions :)

Also just in case people aren't sure I enquired about the room situation for induction week and we will be sharing in double or family rooms!

I wonder if we can leave some stuff in our assigned rooms in the college at the end of induction week..the college is only 20 minutes away? That's if the rooms are sorted by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SKW17

Loradublin wrote: »
    Also just in case people aren't sure I enquired about the room situation for induction week and we will be sharing in double or family rooms!
    Can I ask who told you this? I just presumed we'd have our own x

Thanks for info, there are 65 rooms in hotel (i checked website) so was thinking we would be sharing with 100 of us going up, thanks for clarifying.

I was a bit anxious about it so contacted HR who cc'd me in an email to one of the coordinators. It'll be strange alright

I'm planning on bringing all the forms we need to give back to them (anything in the info pack) a notebook for all the info they're gonna throw at us, gym gear and a laptop for the evenings, money for all the stuff we need to buy and formal and normal clothes. And an extra bag to carry all the new stuff home.

That's pretty much what I'm planning. Best thing I ever learned about packing is better to have it and be looking at it rather than looking for it!
    I was a bit anxious about it so contacted HR who cc'd me in an email to one of the coordinators. It'll be strange alright

We will probably get split into our classes (171A, 171B etc) so hopefully we are bunking with soon to be class mates.

So who all will be there tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Police1

Hey guys,anyone any luck getting white runners?

• Advertisement

Thats a relief thanks a mill,only got called on tuesday so everything is a mad rush

Police1 wrote: »
    Thats a relief thanks a mill,only got called on tuesday so everything is a mad rush

Short notice ! :pac:

TallGlass wrote: »
    Short notice ! :pac:

I know,best news ever..stressful getting prepped but so worth it :)

Super, thanks! I have some good ones and I didn't want to waste money on average shoes just because they're white. White would get filthy pretty quick too!

Finishing all the packing at the moment, early start in the AM

Finishing all the packing at the moment, early start in the AM

Same here. Up at 0530. Just like a regular day of work tho!

Same here. Up at 0530. Just like a regular day of work tho!

That's miserable! I thought 6.30 was bad. Gonna get there early and get breakfast to keep me going for the big day!

Just checked in!! Place is lovely!! There's a newsagents beside it too .... and a pub of course haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 JS533

Hi I have my fitness test tomorrow at 3:30 . It'll be the last thing I have to do before the dreaded wait to be called haha. Does anyone have a rough idea of how long it took them to be called after they had everything done? Fingers crossed for May batch .
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 1012tipp

Police1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,anyone any luck getting white runners?

Sportsworld had a choice of about 5 'predominantly' white runners yesterday...
    Picked up a pair for €40 I think...
    They'll do for the first few weeks until the dust settles, I might be over thinking things but I didn't want to risk drawing attention to myself in the opening few weeks!! Can't see them being too strict though...

• Advertisement

Good luck to those staring tomorrow, can't wait for next week ...

Advertisement