Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a "social swig" out hunting

• 06-12-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭

This is something that I've noticed has increased over the last few years out hunting, and something that has really become extremely frequent in thenlstn2-3 years, with photos doing the rounds on social media and me getting funny looks when I don't join in.....

I don't mind anyone taking the odd sip over the course of the day's hunting, and I know that it can be very welcome on a cold and frosty day, or maybe even to calm a few nerves. However, I do take issue with people having two, three or four drinks (I've seen it with my own eyes, otherwise I'd actually doubt it!) before hopping up on the horse. There would then be a few little tipples from a rather large hip flask over the course of the day. And not just a sip, but a pretty decent swig or three! Even people who have young kids on the lead or with them do it. Sometimes I'm curious what would happen if they were asked to blow into a breathalyser!!!!

Anyway, enough of my rant, I'm suppose I'm just trying to give a little background to a few queries that have entered my head: what happens if someone who'd had a few drinks was involved in an incident, such as getting a bad fall, maybe jumping into someone beside/in front of them, causing an incident on the road, like hitting off a car (have seen this happen, too, but not from someone who was drinking, but I'm just using the example for argument's sake). If they've had a drink before getting up, take a few decent swings throughout the day and then have another drink before heading home, are they ok to drive home? Or would the passing of x number of hours mean that they'd probably be ok (depending on how much they'd had, obviously).

I never ever take a drink getting behind the wheel of a car or before getting up on a horse, no matter what I'm doing, so I suppose I'm curious to other people's opinions/insights into having a drink before hopping into the saddle. While I'm not asking if you do it, I suppose I'm curious to see if it's a common practice or if it's just in the groups I know. Or if anyone else has any other insights, comments, etc. And maybe we could get a discussion going....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Good point.. but actually being drunk in a public place can become a public offense and lead to various fines and sanctions, this would apply to any pedestrian, cyclist or rider involved in an accident - in some cases they can even take away your driving licence!
    Technically, parents getting too drunk to look after their children can be accused of child neglect, with all the consequences.

What you want is a law against stupidity - won't happen any time soon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

I havent hunted for a while but for me it was all part of the day. Id always carry a hip flask and often have a drink before heading out if i were early ( which was rare). Would often have a tipple afterwards too. I dont know how the body works out hunting but i never even felt tipsy on the horse from the hip flask ( and Id be a lightweight generally). It was just a nice warmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Jesus, I'd hardly bother going if there wasn't going to be a few drinks. Same with lots down our way. And in UK and USA also.

Advertisement