Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobby/Pastime around Dundalk?

Options
  • 06-12-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Looking to take up a new hobby now or early in the New Year around Dundalk area. I'm male,in my 40's,unfit so looking for something not overly taxing but enjoyable!Probably a sport of some type.Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

R11 wrote: »
    Looking to take up a new hobby now or early in the New Year around Dundalk area. I'm male,in my 40's,unfit so looking for something not overly taxing but enjoyable!Probably a sport of some type.Any suggestions?

Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

I was a member of a local golf society but had to have surgery 2 years ago and haven't gone back since.I heard there's 2 archery clubs in Ardee,is there any locally?Was also thinking about table tennis but dont think theres a club in Dundalk,there's one in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Angling?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

WOn't be long getting fit if you take up Tennis or Squash in the tennis club opposite the fire station. Squash is simply an amazing way to get fit fast even if you're not brilliant at it.

I've had hip replacement surgery so don't think I can do squash or tennis,thats why I was thinking table tennis,less impact on the hips maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Join a pool team. The local Tuborg League is home to some of the finest athletes this town has to offer. They play every Monday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Dundalk have an excellent photography club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

if you like cycling maybe try the local cycling club http://www.cuchulainncc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

+1 for Cuhulainn Cycling Club.

They're not all speed demons. There's a group that leave Felda every Saturday morning called Pats Saturday Morning Coffee Cycle. All very welcoming and out for the leisure more than the pace. Headed by Pat Kilboy who is an absolute gentleman, if you're able for it, it's a great way of getting out, getting exercise and meeting new people whilst seeing our fair county in a way many don't appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Dogging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

MugMugs wrote: »
    +1 for Cuhulainn Cycling Club.

They're not all speed demons. There's a group that leave Felda every Saturday morning called Pats Saturday Morning Coffee Cycle. All very welcoming and out for the leisure more than the pace. Headed by Pat Kilboy who is an absolute gentleman, if you're able for it, it's a great way of getting out, getting exercise and meeting new people whilst seeing our fair county in a way many don't appreciate it.

This or join Run DMC, new running group set up in town to run the Belfast marathon, set up by north east runners. Get on facebook, details in there

Thanks everybody,cant run due to hip surgery but I can look into some of those suggestions.Keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I got kicked black and blue for years playing Gaelic and Soccer. Even got broken bones and teeth knocked out. I had to quit. Then I discovered Golf. What a sport. You can play as much or as little as you like and some clubs like my own, Greenore, have beautiful scenery and are very friendly clubs.

You should consider it OP.

There are many leads playing who have had hip and knee replacements and who still have great enjoyment playing.

PS

There are great deals going there at the moment.
    You can PM me anytime for advice or information. Cheers.

Thanks.I played a bit before,was pretty crap but enjoyed it.....some of the times!I've a young family so don't have the time for golf,could take up 4 or 5 hours off my weekend.I'll definitely give it another go in a few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

A couple of my nieces are members of Dundalk tennis club and often play table tennis there.I don't know if there is an organised league etc.. but could be worth checking out.

Advertisement