Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultra Wide lens for Nikon FF recommendations

• 06-12-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of picking up an ultra wide lens for myself this Christmas. It's probably not a lens that I'll use much,however, and my budget is limited to around €500. Obviously the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 would be the ideal lens ,but is well outside my budget. I'm considering the Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 but am reading mixed reviews as to it's quality. Anyone here shooting with the Sigma,if so what are your impressions of it? Any other lens in this price range worth looking at?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I had the original Sigma 12-24, the copy I had was great, really sharp and nicely built. I ended up selling it though, at 12mm on full frame everything more than 20 ft away looked tiny and I had better Nikon lenses covering the longer end. The starburst shape when the sun or some other light is in the frame is also weird looking compared to Nikon lenses. I have heard good things about the Samyang 14mm fixed lens, manual focus. Cheap and very good optics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I had the original Sigma 12-24, the copy I had was great, really sharp and nicely built. I ended up selling it though, at 12mm on full frame everything more than 20 ft away looked tiny and I had better Nikon lenses covering the longer end. The starburst shape when the sun or some other light is in the frame is also weird looking compared to Nikon lenses. I have heard good things about the Samyang 14mm fixed lens, manual focus. Cheap and very good optics.

Thanks Cianmcliam. It was the mkII version that I was looking at , which supposedly has better optics. I've had someone mention the Samyang alright. Worth considering . Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I picked up a Nikon 20mm f2.8 prime a few years back. Use it a lot on the FX bodies.

It was well under your budget at €400 and came with a Nikon F4S camera in mint condition.

Worth looking out for one of those on the used market.

Thanks Cabansail. Would prefer something a bit wider as the shots I will be taking will be in somewhat confined spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I bought a Sigma 15-30mm back in 2003. Its a good lens but not a 2.8

I think its 3.5-4.6 through the zoom and pretty good quality. I still have it back in Ireland somewhere but I did upgrade to the 14-24mm Nikon 2.8 which is, obviously a better lens.

The Sigma 15-30mm could be a good solid cheaper option...but they are hard to find 2nd hand now though. They go for between €300-€400 I imagine.

The good thing is it has an aperture ring and it can take gel filters in rear of the lens. I've shot with it using colour infrared film and used the appropriate gel filter in the rear. I'll find something I've shot with it.

Try the UK maybe?

5354990571_a31f3b8fe2_b.jpg[/url]

• Advertisement

Thanks Pete. Hadn't heard of the Sigma 15-30 till now. Will do some research into it. Seems to be priced around the same as a used Sigma 12-24.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When looking for wide lenses you should probably compare the field of view rather than the focal length. Then look at the distortion you will get as this varies with different optics.

On my Dx body I had a Sigma 10-20mm. Compared that with a Nikon 10mm Fisheye. Same focal length but very different field of view.

The 20mm f2.8 has an field of view of 94 degrees. It is am Ultra Wide lens, but you may want to go wider.

When shooting wide I also carry my Nikon 16mm f2.8 Fisheye with 180 degrees field of view and swap between the two.

You could consider the Nikon 16mm then crop and transform in post.

Advertisement