Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 mick byrne....

Options
  • 06-12-2016 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the date? Don't see it online anywhere. Hoping it doesn't clash with Slane!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Usually on the last Sunday in May (same as Tour of Louth).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Doc07

terrydel wrote: »
    Anyone know the date? Don't see it online anywhere. Hoping it doesn't clash with Slane!

Will you cycle it wearing a G&R t-shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Doc07 wrote: »
    Will you cycle it wearing a G&R t-shirts

Sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Done it this year, great day on the bike but very nearly ruined by having to go up Vico Road and through Dalkey Village on a jam packed Sunday afternoon with 220k in the legs

If i do it next year, I'll find alternative route to the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm thinking of doing it too. Realistically, how tough is it? My biggest spin to date is about 150km, most climbing is about 2600m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing it too. Realistically, how tough is it? My biggest spin to date is about 150km, most climbing is about 2600m

That entirely depends on how fast you want to go......

I've never done the MB, would love too but it falls on my parents anniversary mass day so not the easiest to get to, but I have done enough longer spins to know that pacing is everything, if you take your time early doors things usually work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It would be my 4th in a row. No much chance for long distance training next year though ... this year I've done it after 8 months of no spins over 80k and it was quite hard by the end...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

There's a choice of 100, 160 or 200k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nilhg wrote: »
    That entirely depends on how fast you want to go......

I've never done the MB, would love too but it falls on my parents anniversary mass day so not the easiest to get to, but I have done enough longer spins to know that pacing is everything, if you take your time early doors things usually work out.

Nail on head.

Enjoy a nice long day on a lovely (but hard route) in Wicklow.

I enjoyed the start as much as anything, an area of Dublin I'd never seen before.

Great name to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Did it last January as a permanent. Even in the dark its a nice route.

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Done it this year, great day on the bike but very nearly ruined by having to go up Vico Road and through Dalkey Village on a jam packed Sunday afternoon with 220k in the legs

If i do it next year, I'll find alternative route to the finish.

I did the 160, and turned it into the Mick Byrne 171 because I took a left turn for the 200 when I should have carried straight on at about 90k. It added about 10k overall and plenty of extra climbing. Decided to turn back after speaking to an organiser at a food stop who told me I was on the 200 route with plenty of climbing to come. I'd probably have got thru it as I was in good shape, but just wasn't in the humour. Added another km getting lost in the final turns before the finish which I felt were a bit confusing. Other than that its a great sportive. Plan would be the 200 this year.

I personally found the 160 tougher than the W200. So I'd imagine the 200 to be connsiderably tougher.

but very nearly ruined by having to go up Vico Road and through Dalkey Village

Ah c'mon.... :rolleyes:

Alek wrote: »

Seriously, the traffic was horrendous.

A really bad end to a great route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://ridewithgps.com/

Knock yourself out with a better one:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I personally found the 160 tougher than the W200. So I'd imagine the 200 to be connsiderably tougher.

Been considering this for a few years now, might go for the 160k this year as I do the WW200 most years as my first long hilly spin.

Seriously, the traffic was horrendous.

Haven't noticed much myself, but we may have finished at different time of the day.

However complaining about Vico Road bafter all the climbs you've done is a bit of a princess and a pea thing :P

(Note you're not the first person I've heard this from)

Haven't noticed much myself, but we may have finished at different time of the day.

However complaining about Vico Road bafter all the climbs you've done is a bit of a princess and a pea thing :P

(Note you're not the first person I've heard this from)

it wasn't the hill, it was the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I fricking love the challenge of the 200. Just love it. It's very tough. One word. Pacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

it wasn't the hill, it was the traffic.

Yeah I had that traffic issue as well. If I recall it was a stunning afternoon with everyone out enjoying the sun....was totally jammed on that beautiful stretch overlooking the sea on the right (don't know any road names in that part of the world). Ruined my avg speed for the day....well....that's my excuse anyway :-) ha!

That was the only time doing the MB and had traffic like that...usually it's just a normal run in if I remember correctly, and it was only for a short while so didn't really impact that much I think ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I did the MB the day after the Foo Fighters concert in Slane. Only had 3 hours sleep between getting home and getting out the door with my bike.
    I remember it being a slow day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I'ts a toughie for sure. I've only done it (200) the once in 2013 and went off and stayed with the front group until the food stop in Laragh, I was well kooked at that point.

I rather enjoyed the Vico Road at the end although traffic was light on my occasion. Not usually one for medals etc but I paid for the medal that day as I felt I deserved it.

If you find sportives lacking challenge this route will remind you how hard cycling can be and provides a great sense of accomplishment (depending on how hard you ride it).

Daroxtar wrote: »
    It will be no bother to you. There's about 3,400m of climbing but it's well spread out. As others have said, pace yourself and let the mountain goats off.

(I nearly ruined it for myself this year by trying to stay with Mercian Pro on the climbs. Was at breaking point coming through the Scalp on the way home and had to get to a shop for sustenance.)

(I nearly ruined it for myself this year by trying to stay with Mercian Pro on the climbs. Was at breaking point coming through the Scalp on the way home and had to get to a shop for sustenance.)

How was it - "lets take it easy, my last 200 was in 1972"? :-D

How was it - "lets take it easy, my last 200 was in 1972"? :-D
    His last 200k was in 1969 (I was still in nappies! :eek:) so he was apprehensive about it and said he would be pacing himself well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Ah guys, I never blushed reading Boards before.

No bother to you Daroxtar - we can all take it easy next year ;)

His last 200k was in 1969 (I was still in nappies! )

Speechless. My mum was 11...

Mercian Pro, Hats off on all fronts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

His last 200k was in 1969 (I was still in nappies! :eek:) so he was apprehensive about it and said he would be pacing himself well!

Ya, I've seen him pacing himself on the Reservoir Dog chasing down two cyclists on TT bikes ;)

• Advertisement

A big plus for the MB200 it goes past Glenmalure Lodge, perfect pitstop for a sneaky half way pint with a stunning view

Advertisement