Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 mick byrne....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

What time is it starting?
    200k at 8am, 160k at 9am - not sure about the 100k.
    Did 160km last year, wrongly took the turn for the 200 (around 90 odd km iirc) and turned back after 5km or so of that, but there was nothing to stop me carrying on.
    So starting at 9 wouldnt preclude anyone from doing the 200 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

terrydel wrote: »
    Did 160km last year, wrongly took the turn for the 200 (around 90 odd km iirc) and turned back after 5km or so of that, but there was nothing to stop me carrying on.
    Yes, but the 200 is an audax so you'd be putting yourself under more pressure to arrive at the control points within the allocated times.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Could the strong lads please take it easy at the start and carry the rest of us in a nice peloton?

I know we're starting in Sorrento.. but come on, it's not the Giro :P

Yes, but the 200 is an audax so you'd be putting yourself under more pressure to arrive at the control points within the allocated times.
    Surely that only applies to people actually doing it as an audax? Which I wouldnt be.

I went a bit hard at the start last year in the 160, was cycling with a string group of 4 lads and they dropped me around 80ish, just before I took the turn I shouldnt have and ended up on the 200 route! Ended up doing the MB 171 instead :P its deffo one to ease into as theres a lot of climbing early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Don't they need to know if you change route during the spin as they are expecting you at a control and then you don't turn up? On a side note I am now officially bricking it. And I have done the 200 twice before and the 160 once.

Luxman wrote: »
    Don't they need to know if you change route during the spin as they are expecting you at a control and then you don't turn up?   On a side note I am now officially bricking it.  And I have done the  200 twice before and the 160 once.
    I dunno, I know nothing about audaxs in fairness. But my thinking is it only matters if you are actually doing it as an audax, which Im assuming many do not (they just take part as if it were a regular sportive?) Maybe someone with more understanding will clear it up.

I dunno, I know nothing about audaxs in fairness. But my thinking is it only matters if you are actually doing it as an audax, which Im assuming many do not (they just take part as if it were a regular sportive?) Maybe someone with more understanding will clear it up.
    If you've entered the 200, a brevet card will be presented to you at registration for signing at the controls and with the earliest and latest time you may pass through. The controls are also food stops so it's no hassle getting the card signed/stamped. You've nothing to lose by doing it as an audax.

If you've entered the 200, a brevet card will be presented to you at registration for signing at the controls and with the earliest and latest time you may pass through. The controls are also food stops so it's no hassle getting the card signed/stamped. You've nothing to lose by doing it as an audax.
    How accomodating are the time windows? Couple of hours window for each control? If that was the case, starting at 9 with the 160 and doing the 200 shouldnt be an issue, a moderate pace would be fine.

How accomodating are the time windows? Couple of hours window for each control? If that was the case, starting at 9 with the 160 and doing the 200 shouldnt be an issue, a moderate pace would be fine.
    Yes, there's plenty of scope. Under Audax rules you must travel between 15 and 30km/h - that is total average not moving average as the clock continues to run even if you stop. I'll dig out my card from last year and have a look.

• Advertisement

Here we go.

It would appear that you can start any time between 8 and 9am.

1st Control at 68k - between 10.16am and 12.32pm
    2nd Control at 115k - between 11.50am and 3.40pm
    3rd Control at 143k - between 12.46pm and 5.32pm
    Finish - between 2.40pm and 9.30pm

IMG_2291_zpskkaq7kym.jpg

(Battery is just there to cover my name/address)

IMG_2293_zpsbdeusnog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Power Ace?!?! I'd swear you run on Duracell WA...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

But why would someone want to start the 200 at 9? They will be on their own for most if it. Can do that any day of the year for free!

MediaMan wrote: »
    But why would someone want to start the 200 at 9? They will be on their own for most if it. Can do that any day of the year for free!
    He's attending a concert at Slane Castle the day before and, presumably is cycling to the start line in Dalkey from Slane. Intoxicating liquors will probably have been taken in generous quantities throughout Saturday which may impede arriving for a 8am start. It's an appetite for destruction! Welcome to the jungle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

From Met Eireann
    Sunday: A dry, bright and fresh day with spells of sunshine coming and going throughout the day. Highest temperatures of 16 to 19 degrees in light southwest breezes. Dry and clear on Sunday night but fog patches will develop in almost calm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    From Met Eireann

That fog could be a problem then eek.png

See you at 8.00 if you want to ride with WA and myself again.

... if you want to ride with WA and myself again.
    I think I'll let you off on your own this year Mercian Pro and pace myself in a better manner. I was in a sorry state near the end last year after spending the day holding your wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I think I'll let you off on your own this year Mercian Pro and pace myself in a better manner. I was in a sorry state near the end last year after spending the day holding your wheel.
    I will be Billy no mates this year as one mate lost his Cycling mojo in recent weeks and the other hasn't the training in
    I will have a beer strapped to my handle bars and I'll be crying into in for 9 hours. Donate a pretzel as you pass me by

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone know if people can just rock up on the day even though the tickets are sold out? I mean for the 160 as i'm sure it doesn't matter how many take part unless it's the Audax..

There are no numbers on the bikes, so no one can tell.... I would probably tag along if tickets were sold out, just skipping the food stops to be fair. I dont think anyone would mind anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

If you head out earlier does it still "count"? i.e. you can still use the control card and get your medal etc if you finish?

How early? Many riders leave just after signing in and collecting their brevet cards.

g0g wrote: »
    If you head out earlier does it still "count"? i.e. you can still use the control card and get your medal etc if you finish?
    If you arrive too early the card may not be available. Even if it is, you may be too early at the first control and have to arse around to wind down the clock.

Alek wrote: »
    How early? Many riders leave just after signing in and collecting their brevet cards.
    Yeah was thinking quarter half past seven

If you arrive too early the card may not be available. Even if it is, you may be too early at the first control and have to arse around to wind down the clock.
    Cool thanks, and I highly doubt the second point will be a problem for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hopefully the wind dies down for yous on Sunday. The wind today up to Sally's gap onto luggula was as strong as I cycled in, even the 2015 and 2016 Orwell randonnee. If it was cold and winter time they'd be calling it a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm kinda hoping for a southerly breeze. I'll handle a headwind early on but by the time I get to Glenmacnass I'll need all the help I can get. The headwind coming up Sally Gap on this year's Orwell was pure torture. Don't fancy that with another 40 done and 50 still to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wind looks to have died off completely by Sunday. It was savage going over the feather beds yesterday evening.

Looks like Met Eireann just threw random wind direction symbols at the map..
    nat02_wind.png?1847

Phone is showing a Northerly turning to North East during the day, earlier in the week it was showing a strong Southerly pushing us home.

I was feeling weird whole day: aches all around the body. I was thinking this was due to cold air-condition at work but just checked my own temperature and its 38C.
    I AM GUTTED.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »
    I was feeling weird whole day: aches all around the body. I was thinking this was due to cold air-condition at work but just checked my own temperature and its 38C.
    I AM GUTTED.

Paracetamol and fluids as an old doctor friend (of a friend) used to tell me.

Advertisement