Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 mick byrne....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Hopefully its just meteoropathy and as soon as the rain drops tomorrow I'll feel better :) If not, I'm not sure if its wise to kill the temp with drugs and go on a 200k+ spin... ;) Fingers crossed, still two sleeps before the big ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    Hopefully its just meteoropathy and as soon as the rain drops tomorrow I'll feel better :) If not, I'm not sure if its wise to kill the temp with drugs and go on a 200k+ spin... ;) Fingers crossed, still two sleeps before the big ride.

Hope you recover in time Alek. If you do, go straight to Dalkey and save the warm-up ride for another day🤒

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=MB200+profile.jpg

Profile of the MB200 tomorrow with the control points as red dots. Can't remember where the creamed rice cones are!

Best route map for downloading I found was at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20744704 - thanks Daniel.

YR still showing no rain for Laragh tomorrow and very light breezes. 11 to 17 degrees and cloudy. Met Eireann much the same. Just as well it's not on today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Any boardsies doing the 160km?

I'll be starting at 9 or so. It would be nice to have some company for a while until I run out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

sbs2010 wrote: »

I'll be starting at 9 or so. It would be nice to have some company for a while until I run out of steam.
    Just latch onto a group or lost soul that is pacing same as yourself. We are all In This together with the common goal to survive😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Can't remember where the creamed rice cones are!...
    Yuck. I can't think of any food less appealing than creamed rice.

(They were at Mucklagh Bridge last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=MB200+profile.jpg

Profile of the MB200 tomorrow with the control points as red dots. Can't remember where the creamed rice cones are!

Best route map for downloading I found was at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20744704 - thanks Daniel.

YR still showing no rain for Laragh tomorrow and very light breezes. 11 to 17 degrees and cloudy. Met Eireann much the same. Just as well it's not on today :)

last year creamed rice cones were around the 116km or so mark- you were able help yourself to them from the back of a van !!- just before the doddgy road down to start climbing slieve mann

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

(They were at Mucklagh Bridge last year).

sugar , carbs, creamy goodness whats not to like

Normally I'd agree but I devoured a couple last year. Creamed rice reminds me of An Oige when it was often the only food available to buy in the hostel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nevermind :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Can't make it up for this.

If entries are transferable send me a pm if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Yep i've no marmotte to train for this year so I'm going 160. I'll be riding a cannondale sporting my marble city cyclers jersey. I'm happy to group in as I'll be on my todd too.

WA, I'll happily have your rice cone again if I can make it tomorrow! :) They were at second control last year.

Yep i've no marmotte to train for this year so I'm going 160. I'll be riding a cannondale sporting my marble city cyclers jersey. I'm happy to group in as I'll be on my todd too.

Cool. I'll be in black Brooks jersey and on a red Colnago.

Cool. I'll be in black Brooks jersey and on a red Colnago.

Sorry man, I'm gonna have to give it a miss. A few things have come up.

Best of luck to all doing it. Hope to make the Evil in a couple of weeks.

Great spin today big bualadh bos to sorrento on organising everything. The recovery splash in the 40 foot was well needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Its a brute, third year in a row for me. Bloody shredded now. Kudos to Sorrento for organising it and what a spread of food at each control. Speedy recovery to the two lads who came down in front of me before the first control. One lad from Slaney Valley seemed to take a heavy knock. The other lad on a green Stevens went over him. Fresh oil on the road apparently, and there were 4 slips on total on the same spot. I beat last years time by 3 mins which I will happily take home. Suffered like a dog between the 1st and second control. Must join Orwell now, there are some beasts in that club.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Met Alex on it (several times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Did the 160, it was actually grand, starting to realise I'm actually ok at the climbing and don't mind it so much, but get absolutely smoked on the flat! Pretty happy all in all was a really great day, fair play to the organizers... Had never been on the road (s) from Roundwood to the meeting of the waters before, so beautiful, was worth it just for that. HATED the descent from Glencree to Shopriver, the surface is terrible, got lost in Dalkey at the end, arrows pointing everywhere! But I can't really fault it for that. Excellently done Sorrento.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the 200. Seriously seriously tough spin. Had the best of company all the way around in Wishbone Ash and Mercian Pro, and a few other lurkers. I couldn't have done it without you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I am home a few hpurs now after the Wicklow 200 .. did 247kms in total including my ride to & from Dalkey..
    Was very tough.. i think i went too hard in the first 150km & then i had a major bonk.. my legs were aching & i could barely turn the pedals .. i kept eating & turning the pedals & then got my 2nd wind after 30-40 mins & i was all good for the last 20-30 km!
    I have had the dreaded bonk a few times but today it was fairly bad.. glad i got thru it!

Thanks to Sorrento for a fab event!

Oh yea, i thought a lot of the road surfaces were very poor & found tbe constsnt vibrations the most tiring part of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Did the 200 today.. tough but very enjoyable. Congrats to Sorrento for excellent organisation and fantastic food stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Did the 160 plus much of the hill in dalkey at the end. Shudda turned right in dalkey and instead went through and found a few yellow arrows that sent me up the hill. When I started to recognize the route from the morning, Google had to guide me back or else it would have been a 320.

Great day. Well done Sorrento. Back for more next year

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Had a few pints last night but still woke up to do the 200 this morning, got chatting along to WA in the prologue to the event as we tried to find it, and got to meet MP, nice people :cool: I was in the blue astana jersey

The event started and I was feeling quite good but in hindsight I was pushing quite hard early on as I got stuck along to some really good groups that got me to the food stop after the oil spin at 25 kph average.

I struggled afterwards up basic hills so wisdom told me to do the 160 instead. I got lapped by some pros racing on the 200, and finally made it to Laragh thinking it would never come.

I chilled out at Laragh for a bit, and then I went up over the Sallygap and got pulled along by VC Beechwood, great lads. I had no intention of then doing Vico again so I went down the featherbeds - viewpoint and home instead, overall 22 kph, just under 170 km in all https://www.strava.com/activities/1009992769

Sorry to hear about the spills, dangerous enough downhill even without the oil!

Imagine how fast and better we'd all be if the roads were silky smooth as they were in patches like up past Glenmacnass Waterfall.... really harsh road vibrations, hands are in bits... and the whole body for that matter too!

Arequipa wrote: »
    Hi! I am home a few hpurs now after the Wicklow 200 .. did 247kms in total including my ride to & from Dalkey..
    Was very tough.. i think i went too hard in the first 150km & then i had a major bonk.. my legs were aching & i could barely turn the pedals .. i kept eating & turning the pedals & then got my 2nd wind after 30-40 mins & i was all good for the last 20-30 km!
    I have had the dreaded bonk a few times but today it was fairly bad.. glad i got thru it!

Thanks to Sorrento for a fab event!

Oh yea, i thought a lot of the road surfaces were very poor & found tbe constsnt vibrations the most tiring part of the day...

Agreed I'll definitely do the event again but I wont be doing on my good wheels again :)

As we may never see each other again in the course of the day, how about a Boards photo at 7.55 to the right of the clubhouse entrance? A chance for a last smile before the agony.

fvxukg.jpg

A small but select crew.
    I think I'll let you off on your own this year Mercian Pro and pace myself in a better manner. I was in a sorry state near the end last year after spending the day holding your wheel.

I think all four of us paced ourselves well today, especially during the 30mins at the cafe in Aughrim.

Einstein? wrote: »
    ... got chatting along to WA in the prologue to the event as we tried to find it...
    Nice to meet you Einstein? and apologies of making a pigs ear of getting to Dalkey!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ... I couldn't have done it without you :D
    No bother to you - you were still hammering along at the end! I'll be submitting your name for the Evil ride.
    ...I think all four of us paced ourselves well today....
    I found it much easier than last year even though I did an extra 40k. Could have kept going for another hundred but had to show my face at home. Those hard boiled eggs at Laragh were the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, did the 160k yesterday, good groups of people out, almost all Orwell! :D

Sorrento did a brilliant job, from the guys at the waterstops, and at the fuel spill to warn us...And the spread in Laragh and back at the club house...
    Knocked about 25mins off last year's time, though was pretty much on my own from Ballyman road back into that cruel ascent of Vico road at the end...

• Advertisement

that cruel ascent of Vico road

I can never understand why people hate it so much after all the climbing they've done already ;) Its just the last bump...

My 4th MB this year, I decided to make it a bit special: went door to door, throwing in Ticknock at the beginning and the end, plus Kippure in the middle. With 4800+ total elevation and 265km to go I didn't want to burn off early so took it handy, surprisingly my avg was only 1.1kph off the usual :)

Huge kudos to Sorrento as always, such a welcoming bunch of people! I officially declare the Laragh food stop the best one ever in the universe. And they made the food even better this year!

WA, I had your rice cone, thank you very much.

Also shamelessly drafted the green Laois train for a while - thanks Charlie69 ;)

Advertisement