Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 mick byrne....

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Good day out, I'm falling asleep here in work.

Alek i passed you at at the canal of all places @ 19.57 on the way home

Edit: I don't know you at all just noticed it on the FlyBy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    I was feeling weird whole day: aches all around the body. I was thinking this was due to cold air-condition at work but just checked my own temperature and its 38C.
    I AM GUTTED.

My 4th MB this year, I decided to make it a bit special: went door to door, throwing in Ticknock at the beginning and the end, plus Kippure in the middle. With 4800+ total elevation and 265km to go I didn't want to burn off early so took it handy, surprisingly my avg was only 1.1kph off the usual :)

Whatever you took to cure yourself Alek, I want some of it. I'd say some of the professional teams might be interested tootongue.png

This wouldn't be an event thread without the perennial question:
    Anyone know where photos are being posted? I'm reliably informed that there was a photographer lurking in the bushes at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My secret recipe: 4:1 carbohydrate/protein mix in bidons (x5), five bananaritos (tortilla+cream cheese+whole banana) for food.

It seems that the 4:1 has done its magic, its supposed to reduce fatigue in muscles during endurance efforts. And it tastes better than normal electrolyte tabs for me, less sweet yet gives you a lot of slowly released energy (if you sip consistently)

Oh, and a large ibuprofen every 6 hours - i would not take it normally, but a low grade fever was still creeping in...

Today some minor aches in the lower back and midge bites (bloody second control) are itching like hell, but otherwise just fine. Fever is gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

five bananaritos (tortilla+cream cheese+whole banana)
    Not sure whether I want to puke or try this! Mind you, google giving much nicer options if you search for bananarito's!

Haha, one man's garbage another one's treasure ;-) I normally alternate them with tortilla+peanut butter+banana version. Can eat them all day - works for me!

(btw by cream cheese i mean natural Philadelphia or the like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

My secret recipe: 4:1 carbohydrate/protein mix in bidons (x5),

How'd you manage the 5 bidons?

Did you bring powder and add it to water at the stops?

As a matter of interest, how many bidons do most people here go through on a ride like that?

Glad to hear everyone had a good day. I was delighted with the organisation and food stops at its usual high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cajonlardo wrote: »
    ....As a matter of interest, how many bidons do most people here go through on a ride like that?...
    I used one and a half 500ml bidons (over 242kms) but I also had a seperate drink at the first two controls and 2 cups of tea in Laragh.

Two bidons, 3 extra Ikea bags with the Hi5 powder, refilling on controls. One coffee in Laragh (they know how to make a strong one!).

I always forget to drink enough water during a ride and end up dehydrated and feeling bad at the end.

And even though I drank 3.5l+ fluids yesterday I was 1.5kg lighter after 13h of moderate excercise. Eating and drinking in one keeps it under control in my case.

WA, you must have had a camel in your family tree.

Also, I've read on one Everesting blog that rider drank 23l of fluids in one 16h long ride on a sunny warm day, and peed maybe twice.

Wasn't R. Sherlock talking about 15 bidons during a race in Indonesia on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I got through 5 bidons. One was 4:1 mix, three were high5 electrolyte tabs and one was cordial that was at the control. If I don't get enough fluids I get cramps but on Sunday I had no cramps at all. Also had a nice flat white in Aughrim and two small cups of coffee in Laragh.
    Sunday wasn't overly warm, I think around 13-14 degrees avg temperature on my Garmin with a max of 19. Lost just over a kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My secret recipe: 4:1 carbohydrate/protein mix in bidons (x5)

It seems that the 4:1 has done its magic, its supposed to reduce fatigue in muscles during endurance efforts. And it tastes better than normal electrolyte tabs for me, less sweet yet gives you a lot of slowly released energy (if you sip consistently​

This is pretty much my W200 plan, except I plan on using possibly 6 if needed but adding an extra electrolyte tab to the mix.
    Adding the rice cakes I pulled from Aqua Blue page as my go to food on the road with the usual copious amounts of gels late on.

• Advertisement

Note that the Hi5 4:1 has already salt in it, adding extra electo tab to the bidon may not be too good for you...

Note that the Hi5 4:1 has already salt in it, adding extra electo tab to the bidon may not be too good for you...

I have long standing issues with cramps at times and been trying different ways to help with them.
    Latest is Magnesium oil spray and mix above but if that's too much salt I'll stop if it's that bad to do so.

Double sodium concentration may cause water retention... But if if works for you, it works!

Magnesium oil? Like in magnesium being absorbed through skin into muscles? I have my doubts if it can work this way, but i am open for correction :-)

Double sodium concentration may cause water retention... But if if works for you, it works!

Magnesium oil? Like in magnesium being absorbed through skin into muscles? I have my doubts if it can work this way, but i am open for correction :-)

Ssshhh...it's a head thing nearly at this stage...it was recommended by a couple of people to me.
    Sodium is a fair point and will take that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I don't think I've been drinking nearly enough and what I did drink was just water.

Going to concentrate on drinking between now and the next big outing. I've ordered the 4:1 mix and will see how that works out. I did use gels on the Mick Byrne but will need to give fuel and hydration some serious thought. Appreciate the posts above - some handy hints thanks

EDIT: just found this http://road.cc/content/feature/223185-eat-right-your-sportive
    Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I don't think I've been drinking nearly enough and what I did drink was just water.
    Going to concentrate on drinking between now and the next big outing. I've ordered the 4:1 mix and will see how that works out. I did use gels on the Mick Byrne but will need to give fuel and hydration some serious thought. Appreciate the posts above - some handy hints thanks

Did the MB160 with one water bottle, topped up at the 3 stops along the route, also can of coke and a coffee in Laragh, which was fine up towards the end, though if i was doing the 200 maybe i'd have two water bottles..

Did the MB160 with one water bottle, topped up at the 3 stops

So that makes 4 bottles, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So that makes 4 bottles, right?

Dunno, they weren't empty at the stops... Just call them bottomless water bottles! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haha, one man's garbage another one's treasure ;-) I normally alternate them with tortilla+peanut butter+banana version. Can eat them all day - works for me!

(btw by cream cheese i mean natural Philadelphia or the like)
    Well didn't have the posh stuff, just the lidl triangles the children use, but was actually quite nice as a quick snack after my lunch run. Not sure about the whole cheese in the back pocket on a long spin though!

Still want to try the bananaritos that google gives you from the states though - what could possibly be wrong with banana in a fajita deep fried and then covered in sugar?

Advertisement