Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - national infrastructure?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW I just want to make the point, that the idea of 24/7 parcel lockers really isn't that radical. If you think about it, An Post have already been doing that for more then a hundred years for flat mail!

They are called post boxes! You can send a letter 24/7 and you receive your post 5 days a week, all without ever needing to step in the door of a post office. A fully automated (but low tech) 24/7 service that has operated for a very long time.

24/7 Parcel Lockers are really just a logical extension of this concept using some modern technology to allow you to do the same for parcels, what you have long done with letters.

I don't understand why An Post would be so slow to take up this great idea. It has massively successful for Deutsche Post and has helped them greatly reduce redelivery costs while attracting lots of new customers and staving off competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Slightly off topic, but it's an example of the issues with An Post.

I want to pay my tv licence by Direct Debit this year and was trying to get it sorted today as I'm off. Went online and it turns out you can't set it up online, you have to download a form, print it out and send it by post.

I don't have a printer, so dropped into the local post office and asked if they had a mandate form. You would swear I asked for his first born, barked that it was a retail office and that was all online.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A big thing with PM, arguably how the system works at all, is they load during the night. My old box would always be filled around 11:20 or so, sometimes as late as 01:00. Would AP staff insist on increased rates of pay for night work? I suspect so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ED E wrote: »
    A big thing with PM, arguably how the system works at all, is they load during the night. My old box would always be filled around 11:20 or so, sometimes as late as 01:00. Would AP staff insist on increased rates of pay for night work? I suspect so.

Well, they would be entitled to extra pay if shift rates applied, but if the work was valuable, it would create extra revenue to pay any premium.

They must work shifts now to deliver 'next day' post - collect at 5 pm and deliver next day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly UPS has now purchased Parcel Motel/Nightline Deliveries.

Had AP been smart they would have been the ones making that purchase.

Instead they will need to scramble to build their own competing service. I suspect UPS will be investing heavily in Parcel Motel to expand it to compete more with AP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement