Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trying to increase rent, is this illegal?

Options
  • 06-12-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody,

I'm a first time poster and member and thought this would be the best place to get some clarity on an issue.

I moved into a rental property just at the start of October 2015 and just to mention I have had no issues with my landlord at all, I have found him to be fairly reasonable and approachable.

The property was not in the best condition prior to moving in and it was clear the place hadn't been painted in a number of years and the furniture is quite worn, especially the sofa and has huge rips all over the sides and cushion areas.Despite this I still rented the property knowing fully well, but I really had no choice as my other property was sold and there is such a lack of accomdation in general. I haven't asked the landlord for anything at all , only asking for a new sofa once I passed my 12months lease agreement. Also said I didn't mind if it was second hand as long as it's in decent condition.

Landlord agreed to getting a replacement sofa and was nice about it but made it clear they are not willing to pay more than 150e for a replacement. I'm finding it very difficult to find a reasonable sofa for that price. The very same day that I asked for this sofa he also said he has to increase the rent by 100e extra per month.

I have spoken to threshold and citizens information regarding this and they have both stated that he cannot increase my rent for another 12 months due to the new law, as I only started my tenancy a little over 12 months ago now. I really don't know how to approach this with my landlord without things getting a bit strained .

Sorry for the long message but any positive input would be appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

For once Threshold are spot on. Your rent cannot be reviewed after just one year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Maybe just send him a friendly letter stating he might not know what the law says but attach the relevant section of the tenancy act?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

not OP but have a question - would ignoring a letter of increased rent have any consequences in these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

not OP but have a question - would ignoring a letter of increased rent have any consequences in these circumstances?

Legally no, the RTB is notably pro-tenant and expect the landlord to be better versed in the law.

However, they're still your landlord and it would be a professional courtesy to treat your business dealings with them as such and at least respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 irlcncrk

Hi,
    Your LL can only increase the rent every 2 years from start of the lease. At the end of each 2 year term LL must give plenty of notice of any proposed rent increase.

Here's the detail in brief that LL should be aware of.....

rtb.ie/landlords/rights-responsibilities-obligations

FYI You're lease should be registered with the RPT but rules still apply even if they've not bothered registering.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Theunkown22

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Now all I have to do is approach this with my LL. Wish me Goodluck 😄

Advertisement