Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses

Options
  • 06-12-2016 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any private computer classes in Waterford for an over 55s lady one to one

Comments

http://naglecentre.com/
    Have a look at the nagle centre. They do a lot of beginner IT courses which might interest you, I don't have much experience with them but I heard great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tipplady77 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend any private computer classes in Waterford for an over 55s lady one to one

This might be useful

https://www.ageaction.ie/how-we-can-help/getting-started-computer-training

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

are there any worthwhile part time/night courses in Waterford City ??

A lot of courses are good but not enough for Employment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote: »
    are there any worthwhile part time/night courses in Waterford City ??

A lot of courses are good but not enough for Employment etc

anything there?

https://www.wit.ie/schools/education/parttime-courses

Wanderer78 wrote: »

cheers man will take a look at whats on offer

• Advertisement

Are ECDL courses useless now ????

tried doing one in WCFE years ago but they cancelled the course

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have no IT certification, it is the minimum standard, so worth having.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have no IT certification, it is the minimum standard, so worth having.

I have a Third Level Level 6 Business in Tourism Higher Cert which involved IT modules

Good chance i could prob pass the ECDL Exam without doing the modules as ive done a lot of IT stuff between my time in WCFE and WIT

life is hard in todays economic world for Jobs, plenty of educated people constandly upskilling themselves to try and stay in the workforce. Gone are the days when u work in the same factory as your Dad/uncle

I have a Third Level Level 6 Business in Tourism Higher Cert which involved IT modules

Good chance i could prob pass the ECDL Exam without doing the modules as ive done a lot of IT stuff between my time in WCFE and WIT

life is hard in todays economic world for Jobs, plenty of educated people constandly upskilling themselves to try and stay in the workforce. Gone are the days when u work in the same factory as your Dad/uncle

welcome to the world of free market economics and neoliberalism!

what industry would you like to work in? i personally think theres too much talk of 'the career'! chose an area in which you have an interest in and go for it. ignore what others think do or say. its your life. being happy in your job in essential.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    welcome to the world of free market economics and neoliberalism!

what industry would you like to work in? i personally think theres too much talk of 'the career'! chose an area in which you have an interest in and go for it. ignore what others think do or say. its your life. being happy in your job in essential.

A simple full time job not retail. A job in a credit union/bank/post office would do fine or a factory job. In retail atm i dont hate it, i just think once you hit 30 years of old its time to move on. turning 27 after xmas so life is moving fast

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    A simple full time job not retail. A job in a credit union/bank/post office would do fine or a factory job. In retail atm i dont hate it, i just think once you hit 30 years of old its time to move on. turning 27 after xmas so life is moving fast

Have you been applying in those industries? I hear of a few factories continually hiring, wouldn't recommend it myself but you could love it. Have you a genuine interest in those industries? It really is important to be happy in your job. The job for life is as good as gone, its even difficult to get a decent paying job nowadays, but job satisfaction really is a must. Nothing worse than being miserable in your job

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

ECDL is a waste of money if you can use a computer already.

If an employer sees you've a college qualification, they'll know you'll have some IT skills.

You'd be better off spending the time/money learning something more specific e.g. a CRM system. That would be way more impressive on a CV than an ECDL cert. Computer skills are taken as a given for any job you need to use a computer in, nowadays.

Having CRM experience would look good in any office job or a credit union/bank job that you may apply for.

ECDL is a waste of money if you can use a computer already.

If an employer sees you've a college qualification, they'll know you'll have some IT skills.

You'd be better off spending the time/money learning something more specific e.g. a CRM system. That would be way more impressive on a CV than an ECDL cert. Computer skills are taken as a given for any job you need to use a computer in, nowadays.

Having CRM experience would look good in any office job or a credit union/bank job that you may apply for.

What is a CRM course ???

What is a CRM course ???
    Customer Relationship Management

Customer Relationship Management

cool i will look into that

can it be done from home or class based ??

cool i will look into that

can it be done from home or class based ??

I have no idea if there is any courses in that, I only know what it meant because it came up on a few modules in my degree. Maybe someone else here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I'm sure classroom based CRM courses pop up time to time but you'll find online ones easier.

It doesn't really matter which one you learn, but Salesforce is very popular in a lot of businesses.

Udemy have decent courses on it. There's a Salesforce academy too. Not sure of the costs on that though.

For a prospective employer, they'd see CRM experience on your CV, and even if they use an alternative to Salesforce, they'd be likely to think you can be trained quickly on their CRM system. Quicker than somebody without CRM experience so it gives you a slight edge.

Best of luck with the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I left retail 2 years ago, you might not realise it but you have very good transferable skills.

There must have be something in retail that you got a kick out of?

I always enjoyed project management and training so that's what I went into.

Think about what (if anything!) You enjoy and explore that.

Originally I only wanted a 9 to 5 job, I thought I'd do anything as long as I got those hours, turns out I hate working offices!

I agree though, if you have a college course, it is understood that you are can use office etc. So probably no need for ecdl.

For everyone else, is nice to do and have.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I left retail 2 years ago, you might not realise it but you have very good transferable skills.

There must have be something in retail that you got a kick out of?

I always enjoyed project management and training so that's what I went into.

Think about what (if anything!) You enjoy and explore that.

Originally I only wanted a 9 to 5 job, I thought I'd do anything as long as I got those hours, turns out I hate working offices!

I agree though, if you have a college course, it is understood that you are can use office etc. So probably no need for ecdl.

For everyone else, is nice to do and have.

I'll enjoy Xmas and think my future in the new year

Thanks for the advice everyone

Advertisement