Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this bullying?

Options
  • 07-12-2016 12:24am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

I work in a healthcare setting, I was out sick last Thursday, and have had one of my managers talking badly to other nurses about me, that she didn't belive I was sick etc and that I'm constantly tired these days. She went around asking all the staff why I was out sick. I've rang in sick twice this year and work pritty dam hard. I have been bullied before and do not want this happening here. Any suggestions on what to do?.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Sounds like the manager is a dick. Would be difficult to prove without the support of someone she ran you down to.

I'd ignore it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Sorry to hear it . sounds like a bad boss. technically its not bullying if its a once off .as said if its a once off id just ignore it

heres the definition

The Health and Safety Authority’s definition of Bullying is that it is:

"repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work."

An isolated incident of the behaviour described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

AmberGold wrote: »
    Sounds like the manager is a dick. Would be difficult to prove without the support of someone she ran you down to.

I'd ignore it tbh.

I dropped the manager above her an email outlining what had happened, to be honest I'm one of those guys who let things eat me up and think about things to much. I'll just take note of it if it happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wouldn't have done that. I would have just brushed it off. Now you're after making a big thing out of it. If you're one of those people that deal badly with such stuff, why would you want to do that?

I wouldn't have done that. I would have just brushed it off. Now you're after making a big thing out of it. If you're one of those people that deal badly with such stuff, why would you want to do that?

Because I dont feel its okay that certain people can just talk about people in a bad way when ever they want, I felt embarrassed that I had colleagues come to me and say it. As an above comment stated a once of is not bullying now I have documented this once of occurrence with the manager and if it keeps happening then it's bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no hharm . might keep the boss in line

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    Because I dont feel its okay that certain people can just talk about people in a bad way when ever they want, I felt embarrassed that I had colleagues come to me and say it. As an above comment stated a once of is not bullying now I have documented this once of occurrence with the manager and if it keeps happening then it's bullying.

Will those colleagues back you, if the Senior Manager decides to investigate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Hard to see why the boss would make observations about you from thin air. Very rare that people make such observations about a person without some reason. Not coming down on either side just looking at your situation as an outsider looking in. Why would she need to ask others why you were sick. Surely if your off sick you are obliged to inform your boss as to why?

Will those colleagues back you, if the Senior Manager decides to investigate?

Yes two of my colleagues will, I will be happy if it's just acknowledged and that it shows I won't be taken for a ride. Been bullied before in school and let it happen, just want to nip this in the bud.

Thanks for your help guys

holyhead wrote: »
    Hard to see why the boss would make observations about you from thin air. Very rare that people make such observations about a person without some reason. Not coming down on either side just looking at your situation as an outsider looking in. Why would she need to ask others why you were sick. Surely if your off sick you are obliged to inform your boss as to why?

Yes when we ring in we have to leave a message for the director of nursing stating why etc on her answering machine, I even rang the ward I was allocated to that day which she was on so she would of got the message. But she still felt the need to go onto another ward and ask other colleagues where I was. Sounds strange I know and I don't see why she did this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Perhaps there is a simple answer, she had been busy and had not listened to her answering machine, then meeting some colleagues on her rounds she was asking if they knew where you were, reassignments or SNAFU can happen?

Also, beware sh1tstirrers, be 100% sure that it happened as you describe, you are working off secondhand information, and while the people involved may be willing to speak to you, it can be very different once the process gets formal and you can be left swinging.

It is always better to actually address these kind of issues directly with the person involved, once you have a discussion and both of you can present your side of the issue in a calm and considered manner, a resolution can be found.

I hope that you can resolve this and maintain a good work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like you did a potentially Career Limiting Move their OP. Hope it works out for you.

Either way, I think you should do some research into what bullying is and is not. It will be helpful for you in future roles.

Spoke with the main manager, she thanked me for the email and that I informed her with what was going on. she will speak with the other manager to see what the problem is, thanks for all the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 waferthinboy

We all deal with things in different ways. Personally I'd have gone straight to the manager concerned to try and resolve it directly with them, but depending on what this person is like, it could have made the situation worse. No doubt you used your own judgment well. (Former) victims of bullying like you (and me) become good at judging situations, trust your own judgment!

Advertisement