Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking beside the cathedral

Options
  • 07-12-2016 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!

Would the car park beside the Cathedral be full by 10.30 in the morning on a Wednesday? Have to be in u.c.h.g for a few hours and I am not paying their outrageous prices for parking!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, probably. It fills up quickly with people working in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

it's full by 9am, the apcoa car park in the cathedral itself always has a space for you or any other sinners out there needing some parking

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

pure.conya wrote: »
    it's full by 9am, the apcoa car park in the cathedral itself always has a space for you or any other sinners out there needing some parking

I had time to spare so parked in the black box and walked over. I spotted lots of empty spaces around the church itself alright. I'll keep it in mind for the next time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had time to spare so parked in the black box and walked over. I spotted lots of empty spaces around the church itself alright. I'll keep it in mind for the next time! :D

Are the rates at the church less than the rates at the hospital? I'd be surprised if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are the rates at the church less than the rates at the hospital? I'd be surprised if they were.

I think it's the same set up as dyke Road? €4 for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No, you are charged by the hour for the parking spaces around the Cathedral. But you can't miss it, as you have to go through a barrier and have to pull a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

pure.conya wrote: »
    Its official name is called the "PARISH OF THE CATHEDRAL, CAR PARK"
    http://www.apcoa.ie/parking/galway.html

Always wonder as I pass it, is it really a Cathedral with a car park, or a Car Park with a Cathedral in the middle of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Always wonder as I pass it, is it really a Cathedral with a car park, or a Car Park with a Cathedral in the middle of it.
    Tis but a church on a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tis but a church on a roundabout.

Would not argue with that at all.
    A big grey church in the middle of a roundabout surrounded by concrete and tarmacadam.
    It's why it has to be photographed from afar and usually at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Hi!

Would the car park beside the Cathedral be full by 10.30 in the morning on a Wednesday? Have to be in u.c.h.g for a few hours and I am not paying their outrageous prices for parking!

Thanks!

If you go right in through hospital, beside where there is now a new car park, there is a free car park. I used it on numerous occasions. It's somewhat tight however and a little small so your chances of a space are quite limited. In which case just go out the back roundabout and there is on street, legal free parking on Ardilaun Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If I'm stuck I park in the free A*di car park behind the hospital towards Westside. It's for shoppers and I think it's max 3 hours. Buy a loaf and pint of milk and you're sorted. It's never full.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If I'm stuck I park in the free A*di car park behind the hospital towards Westside. It's for shoppers and I think it's max 3 hours. Buy a loaf and pint of milk and you're sorted. It's never full.

I think in Woodies car park there is a sign saying something about 'if you leave the car park... clamped ..." etc. Is there any similar notice in Aldi car park that would make you think twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

bobbyss wrote: »
    I think in Woodies car park there is a sign saying something about 'if you leave the car park... clamped ..." etc. Is there any similar notice in Aldi car park that would make you think twice?

I've never seen a parking attendant working there (Westside a*di). Woodies, Tesco and Argos do have parking monitors walking around taking reg numbers. HSE and NUIG employ clampers for their car parks.

Advertisement