Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hague Design Registration System

Options
  • 07-12-2016 1:03am

Hi

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the WIPO Hague Design Registration system that they could perhaps perhaps give me some tips and pointers on it?

Ive 2 figurine designs i wish to register and they will come in several different colourways (10 of each design to begin with) There is a bit of terminology on the site which can be confusing if you are new to the whole area of industrial design.

Basically i want this covered Worldwide if anything so i can have the option to licence out the manufacturing down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

WIPO filings are best done by professionals unless you have plenty of prior experience.

mrawkward wrote: »
    WIPO filings are best done by professionals unless you have plenty of prior experience.

Expensive process id imagine especially with a solicitor added to the bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Expensive process id imagine especially with a solicitor added to the bargain?

You could probably do most of the prep work yourself to keep costs down. The way to find out is ask for quotes see https://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/Patents/Patent-Agents/Register-of-Patent-Agents/. Many offer first consultation free, again just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I have been to quite a few different IP attorneys this year. The best ones I have found is Tomkins in Dublin. To keep costs down we have registered designs in only Europe initially but in about 5 months time we will be doing it in the US too.

I was very tempted to do most of the work myself as applications for similar products all seem very alike. I decided against it however as this was my first time and it needed to be right.

It took us 2 weeks to go from agreeing on a price to getting drawings made to having our designs registered so its a pretty quick process if you do it for the EU only.

Sorry but I have no experience with the worldwide one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

tacofries wrote: »
    I have been to quite a few different IP attorneys this year. The best ones I have found is Tomkins in Dublin. To keep costs down we have registered designs in only Europe initially but in about 5 months time we will be doing it in the US too.

I was very tempted to do most of the work myself as applications for similar products all seem very alike. I decided against it however as this was my first time and it needed to be right.

It took us 2 weeks to go from agreeing on a price to getting drawings made to having our designs registered so its a pretty quick process if you do it for the EU only.

Sorry but I have no experience with the worldwide one!

Would you mind giving a ballpark figure for all of the above?

• Advertisement

Would you mind giving a ballpark figure for all of the above?

€1,500 ex Vat to prepare the forms and file them. That included a main design application plus 3 variations. We have delayed the publishing of our product so there will be another €200-300 charge when we do decide to publish.

Drawings from a draftsman cost €350 ex Vat. This was pretty expensive but there were quite a lot of drawings.

I got quotes from 5 different companies and that was the cheapest by about €300. Funnily enough, although they were the cheapest I also found them to be the most professional company!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

tacofries wrote: »
    €1,500 ex Vat to prepare the forms and file them. That included a main design application plus 3 variations. We have delayed the publishing of our product so there will be another €200-300 charge when we do decide to publish.

Drawings from a draftsman cost €350 ex Vat. This was pretty expensive but there were quite a lot of drawings.

I got quotes from 5 different companies and that was the cheapest by about €300. Funnily enough, although they were the cheapest I also found them to be the most professional company!

Fair play - I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive

Fair play - I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive

Really depends who you go to. I did get quotes that were more than €2,500 ex Vat that didn't include drawings or publication.

Main thing that I would say is to meet with at least 3 companies then see what each one recommends. Eventually you will have a good idea of what route you should be taking with regards to designs or patents and what product variations you should also be registering.

Some companies will also recommend doing IP searches however these are ridiculously expensive and a lot of attorneys aren't willing to stand over the search. You could also do quite a significant IP search yourself if you wanted.

Advertisement