Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare village

Options
  • 07-12-2016 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Kildare next week where is the best place to shop where I can find bargains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Impossible question to answer as it totally depends on what you like.

Bit of advice - avoid 12noon to 5pm. Its open til 8pm Sat & Sunday and eases off from 5pm. At 7pm its practically empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

You wont find any bargains in kildare village, the perception is that its an outlet village. Thers a few outlets, Nike, Clark's. But by large its all high price designer labels.

You wont find any bargains in kildare village, the perception is that its an outlet village. Thers a few outlets, Nike, Clark's. But by large its all high price designer labels.

Some people like designer labels. They market themsleves as a designer outlet centre and that's precisely what they are.

I particlarly like Timberland and find that €85 for a pair of decent waterproof boots is extremely good value. Others may baulk at paying €85 for shoes and otehr would think nothing of paying €300 for a pair.

If its what you like, then its great. If you are into fast throwaway fashion, then Penneys is more suitable.

The world would be dreadfully boring if only one market segment was catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you're in the area, you might as well visit the Whitewater in Newbridge. Again, you won't necessarily get bargains but there's a good enough variety of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have to disagree there...sure it may not be as cheap as NYC or the same choices as elsewhere but to me it's one of the best places to shop in Ireland, I love the place. Half my wardrobe is KE village. Something for everyone there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

road_high wrote: »
    Have to disagree there...sure it may not be as cheap as NYC or the same choices as elsewhere but to me it's one of the best places to shop in Ireland, I love the place. Half my wardrobe is KE village. Something for everyone there.

Almost my entire work wardrobe is from Jaegar, LK Bennet, Hobbs, and a few others between Kildare Village and the Outlet in Banbridge.

I've picked up trousers there for less than I'd pay in the likes of Next and they last far longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I agree that there are bargains to be found I find the superdry store very good value with some big discounts compared to the shop they have in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I don't think I've ever got what I'd call a "bargain" there. Never seem to have much but taste is subjective.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SATSUMA wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever got what I'd call a "bargain" there. Never seem to have much but taste is subjective.

Ive gotten suits and trousers there for 20% of what they retail for but it is aimed at people looking for high end stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Levis were doing a 3 for 2 last week on all jeans

Look carefully at them as some of the imperfections are more obvious than others but got 3 pairs that all passed the Lex Luthor test

• Advertisement

The prices of clothes in Kildare Village is actually very good and compares favourably with the outlet stores in other European countries.
    Armani and Hugo Boss are good examples. Check out their online retail prices and see the bargains you can then get in the outlet store. As mentioned Superdry has much less expensive clothing than the Dundrum Store.
    I think the place is great. When you sign up to their newsletter, you get 20% off invitations a few times a year.
    Sign up in Ralph Lauren and you will rarely if ever pay the price in the store as they are always sending emails with 15 or 20% off the outlet price.

Stheno wrote: »
    Almost my entire work wardrobe is from Jaegar, LK Bennet, Hobbs, and a few others between Kildare Village and the Outlet in Banbridge.

I've picked up trousers there for less than I'd pay in the likes of Next and they last far longer.

Totally. Though I was only in the Outlet Banbridge maybe 4/5 years ago, I thought it very poor. Not a patch on KE Village as regards brands, quality or value. Unless it's improved since...

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Plenty of bargains - maybe a season or two behind but cheaper
    Personally i regularly buy in Under Armour, Super Dry, North Face, Hillifiger, Pandora
    all have decent reductions on retail

micks wrote: »
    Personally i regularly buy in Under Armour, Super Dry, North Face, Hillifiger, Pandora

Never really understood the "last season" thing myself- especially with casual menswear. A Tommy hilfiger short or sweater is usually still broadly similar year to year. Nike stuff for the gym rarely dates either...unless you're very wealthy and stylish and shopping in BTs often, then it's no big deal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cath Kidston stuff is good value, have bought mugs, umbrellas and bags for presents there.
    Molton Brown and L'Occitane handy too and many weddings get Le Creuset pots and pans.
    Joules and Barbour for outdoor people presents (if there's nothing I see in nearby TRI)
    If you are in the area, you could also hit Newbridge Silver, they often have nice frames etc. reduced.

Never really understood the "last season" thing myself- especially with casual menswear. A Tommy hilfiger short or sweater is usually still broadly similar year to year. Nike stuff for the gym rarely dates either...unless you're very wealthy and stylish and shopping in BTs often, then it's no big deal.

How outlets work.

In Europe the material and quality must be similar to the comparable full price item. If the item is specifically an outlet item, it must be described as such.

Items are "previous season designs" - rarely "previous season stock"

The design cost no longer is factored in, neither is the sampling cost, marketing cost and other costs such as less glamorous packaging in some cases. All the product is made for the outlet market with these costs not applying.

As they have sales data for the previous season, they also don't have to factor in as much a "redundant stock" cost.

All these cost savings easily add up to 30%+++

It does mean a smaller selection, but better value.

There is one huge difference between European and American outlets - in USA, they can use lesser quality materials in their outlet items and use the word "compare to" retail comparison, whereas in Europe, they must manufacture to the same quality and standards of the goods they are giving the rrp of.

micks wrote: »
    Walter2016 wrote: »
    How outlets work.

In Europe the material and quality must be similar to the comparable full price item. If the item is specifically an outlet item, it must be described as such.

Items are "previous season designs" - rarely "previous season stock"

The design cost no longer is factored in, neither is the sampling cost, marketing cost and other costs such as less glamorous packaging in some cases. All the product is made for the outlet market with these costs not applying.

As they have sales data for the previous season, they also don't have to factor in as much a "redundant stock" cost.

All these cost savings easily add up to 30%+++

It does mean a smaller selection, but better value.

There is one huge difference between European and American outlets - in USA, they can use lesser quality materials in their outlet items and use the word "compare to" retail comparison, whereas in Europe, they must manufacture to the same quality and standards of the goods they are giving the rrp of.

Is there some kind of legal basis for the above? Must be from the way you describe it. If any remembers the Rathdowney "outlet", these rules must have been stretched to their limits!!

Is there some kind of legal basis for the above? Must be from the way you describe it. If any remembers the Rathdowney "outlet", these rules must have been stretched to their limits!!

Yes there are eu regulations on it. Rathdowney did stretch it as it had a lot of "clearance" stores and not many were true "outlet" stores.

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Yes there are eu regulations on it. Rathdowney did stretch it as it had a lot of "clearance" stores and not many were true "outlet" stores.

Hence the reason Rathdowney died a death but Kildare Village is going from strength to strength as demonstrated by the big expansion this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Have on,y bought stuff here when they have a 20% sale on. The place is nice to walk around but can be pricey

• Advertisement

Are Hackett gone? Seemed to have just disappeared from where they were for years in KV.
    Also, Tommy Hilfiger have moved to a pokey little store beside Nike with less than half the floor area as last shop. I'd have thought they'd be doing a lot of business and could afford the bigger shop. Have rents gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

It's based on turnover. The shops doing the most business will be moved to a bigger unit as required. Likewise, you move to a smaller unit if the take is down. Every sale goes through the outlet operator's system, so they know to the penny who is doing what. They take their percentage and that's where they make their profit and get the funds to maintain etc.

Like all the best ideas, the brilliance is in the simplicity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Are Hackett gone? Seemed to have just disappeared from where they were for years in KV.
    Also, Tommy Hilfiger have moved to a pokey little store beside Nike with less than half the floor area as last shop. I'd have thought they'd be doing a lot of business and could afford the bigger shop. Have rents gone up?

Hilfiger is getting a refit - there are signs on the doors saying that.

Temporary unit beside Nike

As for Hackett - it was never busy.

Advertisement