Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skills assessment - VETASSESS

Options
  • 07-12-2016 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi all,[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]I'm hoping one of you could give me some advice on my options for visas - namely Employer nomination Scheme - Direct entry.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Background and current situation:[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]My partner is sponsored and I am defacto on his 457 visa[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]We are eligible for PR nomination since last June[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]His employer is refusing to lodge the nomination application as they say he will leave once he gets it[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]His occupation (OH&S) is no longer on the SOL but is still on the CSOL.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]I am currently working for a national sporting body in game and market development.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Sports administrator (skill level 1 - AFQ Level 7) and sports development officer (skill level 2 - AFQ level 6) are both on the CSOL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]My qualifications are as follows:[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]BA Outdoor education and leisure (AFQ equivalent 7)[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]BA (Hons) in Outdoor education (AFQ equivalent 8)[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]MSc Sustainable Development (AFQ equivalent 9)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I've spoken to a migration lawyer and he has said that I need to get my skills assessed by Vetassess. He has said that I would have the 60 points needed for the direct entry route for PR and my employer has said they would be happy to nominate me for this.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]My main concern is that my degree doesn't exactly match up to what i'm nominating in. There were sports modules in the degree (health and fitness, physiology etc.) but obviously it's not a sports management degree. I've worked for my employer for 18 months now.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Before I spend all the money on the assessment;I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting their skills assessed when it's not as cut and dry as trades and certain occupations (nurse) etc.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Vetasses have the following information on their site:[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Qualification which is at the required educational level in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation as well as at least one year of highly relevant employment completed at the required skill level within the last five years. In some cases, additional years of highly relevant employment at the required skill level can compensate for lack of relevance of your qualification to the nominated occupation.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]1. Will having an education level up to a masters be taken in to consideration or will they just look at the qualifications in relation to the role i am working in. Half of my Bachelors degree would have been sport related but more so in adventure sports[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]2. Will having over the years experience go towards my assessment also?[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]3. Would including experience i have at home in the sports field help, this was on a voluntary basis so wouldn't have payslips?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Any advice anyone could give me would be really appreciated. Our last resort would be for me to get sponsored by my current employer and i'm really glad to have this but we really don't want to reset the clock on PR for what could possibly be another 3 years if we can avoid it. We're here almost 4 years so would love to gain PR before we hit our 7 year anniversary![/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Thanks! [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Sinead [/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Outside of the assessment, with an employer like that I'd be seeking to get my 457 transferred to another employer willing to take it on and nominate for PR. It's like being held to ransom.

As for the assessments, just send an email inquiry to whoever you need to get to assess you. They'll usually answer any of your questions without any problems as they know you'll still need to pay to get the assessment should you want/need it.

I got PR through de facto visa but eventually needed to get my skills assessed to get my qualifications recognised as being equivalent to an Australian degree. Sent an email to the assessing board to see what I needed to do, what they needed from me and then submitted everything and paid the fee.

Your education and/or experience might count towards CPD for the assessment criteria.

Advertisement