Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing the poolbeg chimney

Options
  • 07-12-2016 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this been mentioned on a website yesterday so had a look on youtube. Some Danish kid was over and decided to get into poolbeg power station and climb one of the chimneys. I was getting dizzy at the end watching him walking around and sitting on the side

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Mentioned in after hours a few days ago.
    My palms were sweating just watching it!
    I'd say security has been tightened up since!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Pull the feckin' things down and be done with them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh God no!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That fish eye effect on the camera is head wrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Fella climbs a ladder that someone else put there and stands on a solid platform.

So ??? :confused:

Do these young YouTube "adverturers" not know that climbing towers and chimneys and the like used to be a proper job in the olden days (without a load of preliminary H&S evaluations :cool: ) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do these young YouTube "adverturers" not know that climbing towers and chimneys and the like used to be a proper job in the olden days (without a load of preliminary H&S evaluations :cool: ) ?

Was still a successful TV series about them then! (Fred Dibnah)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Birneybau wrote: »
    Oh God no!

A thousand times No !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

On the subject. They could do with a paint job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'm always a bit disgusted by this sort of stuff, there's people in wheelchairs who'd give anything just to be able to walk down the street and this tool is risking life and limb for nothing.

Not that he'd be calling for an ambulance if he fell...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

dd972 wrote:
    I'm always a bit disgusted by this sort of stuff, there's people in wheelchairs who'd give anything just to be able to walk down the street and this tool is risking life and limb for nothing.

So because some people can't do something, no one should do it? What he didn't isn't for me but if everyone did the bare minimum for fear of offending someone, the world would be a very dull place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

dd972 wrote: »

So because there's people in wheelchairs other people shouldn't enjoy the use of their legs to climb a ladder? Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ridiculous. Every sports person should stop out of sympathy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

this tool is risking life and limb for nothing

What risk? He climbed using steps that were put there for the specific purpose of climbing that chimney; then he stood on a full-width platform that's since been added to the much narrower top. Precious little danger, no unique skills, no particular stamina required. It'd be more of a challenge to sit on the head of the statue of Daniel O'Connell. :pac:

Following L1011's lead, have a look at a pro taking on a real challenge (bearing in mind he had to put the ladders up himself before filming) !

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It could make for a decent tourist attraction if they were to enclose the ladders in perspex, set up a roping rig and pop a guard rail around the platform on one of the towers. I know I'd pay to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You wouldn't need to call an ambulance for him if he fell. Splat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That kid has got balls, you have to give him that. No doubt he is a serious climber in the making

Advertisement