Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Facebook Giveaways

Options
  • 07-12-2016 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Not sure which forum to post this in so hopefully this is the right one.

People please be aware that the "facebook shopping centre (blanch, liffey valley, etc) giveaways" are scams.

The latest one - "River Island Ireland" requires you to sign up to a mobile phone subscription (mintedmobi) which charges €7.50 per week and more for any texts that they send you (think it is about €2.50 per text). It states very clearly at the bottom of the "giveaway links" on mintedmobi that they are in no way sponsored by, affiliated with or endorsed by the product or retailers in question, meaning they cannot actually provide a gift card.

I just thought I would help make people aware as it's close to Christmas I for one would hate to see naive people shafted out of money because some fraudsters take advantage of social media pages.

Facebook "competition" link - <SNIP>

River Island "gift card" link - <SNIP>

Some people still inevitably fall for stuff like this but hopefully this wisens the majority up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't even care that they're scams. They're just annoying as fcuk and clutter up other people's feeds with rubbish and spam. People just need to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've removed the links provided, as I don't think we need to be adding to their publicity. And also, it's possible that someone will sign up through the links shared here.
    It states very clearly at the bottom of the "giveaway links" on mintedmobi that they are in no way sponsored by, affiliated with or endorsed by the product or retailers in question, meaning they cannot actually provide a gift card.

I wouldn't interpret that the same way. The statement just means that they are receiving no support at all from the retailer. However, they can purchase a gift card from the retailer and offer that as a prize (whether they are actually doing that or not is another matter).

I would recommend complaining to Facebook about these competitions. I don't know if they are in breach of any Facebook rules, but if there are enough complaints, Facebook might get the message that they are not wanted. As a user you can also select to hide these posts, or "see less like this"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Under the pretext of warning us not to go near them, the logic of posting a list of URLs pointing to scams is beyond me.

Here is a list of links, don't click on any of them..... :confused:

What does 'subscriber' as a user type mean under the OP's handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone stupid enough to click rubbish like that deserves any and all consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

coylemj wrote: »
    Under the pretext of warning us not to go near them, the logic of posting a list of URLs pointing to scams is beyond me.  

Here is a list of links, don't click on any of them.....  :confused:

What does 'subscriber' as a user type mean under the OP's handle?
    Paying a subscription to Boards.ie for extra content, is what I believed it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hey there, my wife acidentally got into this crap via Facebook /ryanair and she just told me she's getting this 7.50€ texts for a week or two. We're on bill pay, one account, billing period was just over so I looked at the bill and we've been charged (ffs!!!)

she texted STOP to the 5 digit number listed in the text but I'm just wondering if this method did work to anyone ever or I need to ring them or connect them thru their crappy website?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Balinov wrote: »
    Hey there, my wife acidentally got into this crap via Facebook /ryanair and she just told me she's getting this 7.50€ texts for a week or two. We're on bill pay, one account, billing period was just over so I looked at the bill and we've been charged (ffs!!!)

she texted STOP to the 5 digit number listed in the text but I'm just wondering if this method did work to anyone ever or I need to ring them or connect them thru their crappy website?

What company are you with?

Comreg will be able to assist you if you are getting nowhere with them.

the Mrs and myself are both on Meteor BillPay.thanks for Comreg, I had them in my mind, just forgot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Balinov wrote: »
    the Mrs and myself are both on Meteor BillPay.thanks for Comreg, I had them in my mind, just forgot about them.

Generally theres not a lot the mobile company can do to stop this on your behalf; whats the 5 digit number from the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

You can check who provides the service on the comreg website, contact the company to ask them to make sure your number is removed on their side and also ask for a refund.

• Advertisement

57976 is the number, thanks lads, I'll use this if the texts and the scam won't stop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I stupidly entered a FB competition supposedly from Aer Lingus. Within minutes I was inundated with text messages from 57976 and 57030. I immediately texted STOP to both numbers. Checked my bill and there is a €7.50 charge along with 13 premium texts costing €2.03 each.
    I contacted my service provider (Three) and they were very helpful, told me I was entitled to apply for a refund and gave me contact details for both companies.
    I've just completed a refund form and sent it with a copy of my bill to claims@sb7mobile.com. Here's hoping.....
    In the meantime I've c+p'd the reply from Comreg when I emailed them:

Thank you for your email.

ComReg can become involved in the resolution of individual complaints only when a consumer has first lodged a complaint with the premium rate service provider in question.

To lodge a complaint we would advise you to contact the premium rate service provider directly and proceed as outlined below:

1. Contact MintedMobi helpdesk via e mail on help@sb7mobile.com;
    2. State that you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a complaint;
    3. Give the full details of your complaint.

If the premium rate service provider does not respond to your complaint within 10 working days or you feel the provider has not adequately addressed the issues you have raised, you can contact ComReg. We will review your complaint and refer the matter to the premium rate service provider if appropriate.

We will keep track of the progress of your complaint and when the service provider confirms that the issue is resolved with you we will examine the resolution of your case and close as appropriate.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance you can call our Consumer Care Team on 01 8049668/ 1890 229668 or email consumerline@comreg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jos28, what was the prize supposed to be in that fake comp?

It was to win flights by participating in an Aer Lingus survey. I've attached a screenshot for you. It looks really genuine until you look closely and see Aer Linus in small print. I've sent the screenshot on to Aer Lingus but they never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Report the page to Facebook as a scam and its usually down within a day or so - will save someone else.

I reported it to FB who weren't exactly helpful. They suggested using the 'report' button on the offending post. I'd obviously have done that if there was a 'report' button but there wasn't one .:rolleyes:.
    I emailed them with the screenshot and I also contacted Aer Lingus so hopefully that's it. Until the next scam - seriously how are these companies allowed to operate :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Send them the link at least they won't be able to find it easily from a screenshot.

Will do Chizler, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Looks genuine except for grammar and spelling..... So not genuine then would be an assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

jos28 wrote: »
    It was to win flights by participating in an Aer Lingus survey. I've attached a screenshot for you. It looks really genuine until you look closely and see Aer Linus in small print. I've sent the screenshot on to Aer Lingus but they never got back to me.

You will laugh at this.

I saw a previous aer linus page a couple of weeks back and decided to report the page. Whatever way it worked, I thought I was sending a message to Facebook, but it was to the aer Linus person.

The person came back to me and said who are you...I sent back....who are you???

They then said you are very cute, can I take you to dinner? Lol

I also managed to report it to Aer Lingus and it was taken down.

See it's back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MzG.Liffey

Hi all, MzG.Liffey here,
    I've just had to deal with this. To lodge your complaint, COMREG will send you the right email address for each company. Then COMREG told me to say the following: "COMREG advised me to contact you. I wish to be unsubscribed immediately. I never received a message about a double opt in service. I never knowingly subscribed. How did you get my number? I want a full refund".

If they fob you off COMREG can then get involved on your behalf but you must have lodged the above complaint first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The relevant minister supposedly had legislation on the table a while back to force these companies to add an additional confirmation layer so that people would not be unknowingly sucked into 'competitions' which involved premium text messages but nothing appears to have happened ???

Advertisement