Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Pay

Options
  • 04-09-2015 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just a question about Android Pay.

Are there plans for that to launch in Ireland do you know? And if there is, will you be supporting it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi C-Shore, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

We are constantly reviewing the services available to our customer to take account of new and up coming developments and technological change. 

Please be assured, if this technology is introduced will will happily notify our customers via the usual channels, including our Boards.ie form here. 

Thank you for your feedback today and if we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Now that Android Pay has officially been launched in Ireland, does BOI have any upcoming plans to support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

I would also be interested in this.  Was very disappointed when I went to set this up and saw that only AIB and KBC cards would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Upgraded to Android 7.1.1 this morning myself. Very surprised to see KBC beating BOI to the punch here. I would love this feature. No €30 limit and I can pay with my fingerprint (to wake the phone), yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

BOI on Twitter said that they have "no immediate plans" for compatibility with Android Pay.

That would show an extraordinary lack of foresight if true. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Also interested in availing of this, I need to know if BOI plans immediate roll out of support for this within the next couple of months, if not it may be the final push to switch banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Evil_g wrote: »
    BOI on Twitter said that they have "no immediate plans" for compatibility with Android Pay.

That would show an extraordinary lack of foresight if true. 
    Shocking stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Hi C-Shore, 

We are constantly reviewing the services available to our customer to take account of new and up coming developments and technological change. 

Please be assured, if this technology is introduced will will happily notify our customers via the usual channels, including our Boards.ie form here. 

Thank you for your feedback today and if we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

https://blog.google/topics/shopping-payments/android-pay-ireland

So... what's the plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Yeh i'd like to know the plan also.
    This was brought to your attention at least a year ago going by this thread.
    I already have a KBC a/c but my BOI a/c is the main one I use day to day.
    If these advances aren't offered to customers then why should we stay.
    A bank can't push online banking and not keep up with technological advances like this.
    I'll be closing my account and moving as will many others if we aren't offered these services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

Final nail for me also.

Looks like it's time to move bank. Huge swoop for AIB. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

Hi C-Shore, 

Elaine 
    So really all the news you have is that, if BOI ever does decide to launch Android Pay, you will tell us about it. 

Wonderful news Elaine, many many thanks!

Hi ho, hi ho, to AIB we go, with an up-turned nose and our fancy phones, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi All,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We've no immediate plans for this but we'll notify customers here and through our website if this changes.

Thanks,

Tara C

Good luck with the students next September.

AIB should start running ads showing people how convenient this is as soon as possible. 

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Hi All,

We've no immediate plans for this but we'll notify customers here and through our website if this changes.

Thanks,

Tara C

I know it's not customer care's fault, but as mentioned above, the largest or second largest bank failing to have even a plan at launch show's an incredible lack of foresight.

Because this certainly couldn't have taken you by surprise. Rumours were abound for months, and I find it incredible (i.e. not credible) that Google wouldn't have actively approached you about it.

Not having it at launch isn't a big deal, but the fact that the official line is basically one of complete ignorance as to this development really doesn't give me much faith in the bank's forward-thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nilim

"No immediate plans"???

Time to open an AIB or KBC account...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

No immediate plans = no plans at all other than we might look at it at some future stage
    That really is ridiculous I will be very tempted to move my banking elsewhere now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

BOI are like the Fianna Fail of banks. They're safe enough with the older generation and are content in their old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Hi All,

Thanks,

Tara C

[Removed]

I've been with BOI since college and I'm telling ya now, this has forced my hand. I'm more than happy to go through the pain of switching accounts, DD's & SO's get get Android Pay.

Its actually ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

The worst mobile app when they were first released..even today its probably the worst even after adding a few basic functions!

Now this shambles.

100% switching my main account to KBC now! I'm not the only one either by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Hi All,

Thanks,

Tara C
    i think this is a big mistake for bank of ireland. In a business where the bank is doing its best to drive customers way from face to face transactions and on to automated services, not to have android pay integrated on day one is very disappointing. If the banks policy is to serve customers at arms length then it has a responsibility to provide the most up to date methods available as soon as possible. As I write this I see AIB have add on the TV already for their mobile services. Not good BoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Well. After 22 years of banking it looks like boi have finally dropped the ball too many times. I'll be switching along with so many others.

Not being in a position to roll it out on day 1 is one thing, but it looks as though they only heard about this yesterday. 

I could understand if they were "in negotiations" or "addressing some technical issues", but BOI have had two years notice of this, and they have "no immediate plans" to take advantage of a technology, that 90% of their customers have in their pocket, which would save their customers, retailers and BOI themselves, time, money and inconvenience?   

"No immediate plans" is the same as "We do not intend to".

This is really going to hurt them when the general public pick up on how convenient this technology is. I hope AIB eat them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I use my contactless card on a daily basis and I've been counting down the days until I could do the same with my phone so its very disappointing that BOI don't support it from the get go; I will seriously consider moving to another bank purely on this issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I think they're right! Its a bit like updating your iPhone the first 6 month there's nothing but bugs. We know nothing about safe guards, potential hacks you'd be mad to go all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think they're right! Its a bit like updating your iPhone the first 6 month there's nothing but bugs. We know nothing about safe guards, potential hacks you'd be mad to go all in.
    To be fair its been released elsewhere a good long while I think 6 months ago in UK, so any major flaws should be worked out, also its not like they are saying 'We are eager to get it implemented but want to make sure we have it all working correctly before roll out' they are basically saying 'Eh Google Pay, what's that, pay with your phone, jaysus no we've no plans for that'

cruizer101 wrote: »
    To be fair its been released elsewhere a good long while I think 6 months ago in UK, so any major flaws should be worked out, also its not like they are saying 'We are eager to get it implemented but want to make sure we have it all working correctly before roll out' they are basically saying 'Eh Google Pay, what's that, pay with your phone, jaysus no we've no plans for that'

It still may be too soon for the criminal underworld to find a way to exploit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

It's disappointing that this is not being supported. Time to look into switching accounts to a bank who want to provide customers with more convenient and also secure methods of spending our money. A blanket we have no plans to do this and the impression given that this is not even on your radar would also make me worry about how quickly the bank would be able to respond to new security and fraud methods. 

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

It still may be too soon for the criminal underworld to find a way to exploit it.

Yes because I'm sure it was the 4 million people in Ireland that will finally provide the incentive to find a hole.... It's availability in the US for years just wasn't incentive enough.

• Advertisement

Yes because I'm sure it was the 4 million people in Ireland that will finally provide the incentive to find a hole.... It's availability in the US for years just wasn't incentive enough.

I was thinking more London, evey scam you could think of is a business in itself. You should watch those undercover investigation documentaries scary stuff.
    I do understand that younger people will want this to become the norm but all these electronic methods of payment lure you into spending money you don't have or junk you don't need.

Advertisement