Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Pay

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Yes because I'm sure it was the 4 million people in Ireland that will finally provide the incentive to find a hole.... It's availability in the US for years just wasn't incentive enough.

I was thinking more London, evey scam you could think of is a business in itself. You should watch those undercover investigation documentaries scary stuff.
    I do understand that younger people will want this to become the norm but all these electronic methods of payment lure you into spending money you don't have or junk you don't need.
    If anything it's far more secure than carrying around contactless cards.

In order to use it you have to register the card, using the card number. However, what it actually transmits during the transaction is not the real card number, so even if you intercept this, it can't be used to register it on another phone, or to pay for things online (because it doesn't represent a real card).

And while I'm not overly concerned about it, contactless cards do transmit nearly all of their data (just not name on card and CVC as far as I know) in full to any NFC enabled device. The only thing they don't do is transmit a transaction signature (to authenticate an in-person transaction) and you can't fake that without the actual chip. But that doesn't stop you using the card number they transmit to make online payments etc. Because not all retailers require CVC codes online (e.g. Amazon)

It also makes a transaction (legitimate or otherwise) impossible when the screen is off, so you can't be "skimmed" while your phone is in your pocket walking down the street.

Any vulnerabilities it has, are a subset of those present in contactless cards. 

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

Any update from the BOI yet? Now that you have had another month to consider android pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

yekrallum wrote: »
    Any update from the BOI yet? Now that you have had another month to consider android pay!
    Hi vekrallum,

No update at the moment.  Please be assured, we will notify our customers on our social channels and websites if this changes. 

Thanks
    Tara O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Interesting article in the Sunday Independent Business section yesterday.  It talked about EVO Payments and their partnership with Bank of Ireland in regard to contactless payments.  EVO Payments are creating new jobs in Ireland.  EVO themselves, support Android Pay.  As this is the case, why can't Bank of Ireland start to support it?  Why is it, according to this thread and other sources, that there are no plans to support it?  If Bank of Ireland can do contactless payments and they have a partner in this facility that supports Android Pay, surely there should be some plans in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Flukey wrote: »
    Interesting article in the Sunday Independent Business section yesterday.  It talked about EVO Payments and their partnership with Bank of Ireland in regard to contactless payments.  EVO Payments are creating new jobs in Ireland.  EVO themselves, support Android Pay.  As this is the case, why can't Bank of Ireland start to support it?  Why is it, according to this thread and other sources, that there are no plans to support it?  If Bank of Ireland can do contactless payments and they have a partner in this facility that supports Android Pay, surely there should be some plans in this regard.
    Hi Flukey, 

Thank you for your feedback today. 

I'm afraid we have no plans currently to introduce this. However, as mentioned if this changes we will notify our customers. We appreciate your comments and we will certainly pass this to our development team. 

Thanks again, 
    Eliane 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Elaine and the other ladies, I know you are only doing your job, giving us the party line and are limited in what you can say, but is there not someone who can come in here and give us a bit more explanation than what you can give us, or if not here in some public manner?  It seems incredible and pointless to have an article in the paper promoting the merits of contactless and also the partnership of Bank of Ireland and Evo Payments in regard to that, and then to come in here the next day and yet agan see the same standard answer of having no plans to do this.  We have got that message, but we would like to know why.  Back in 1980, Bank of Ireland led the way with the Pass Card and the first ATM, and from being the leader in technology we have come to the stage where you are not prepared to say if you will even run in the race.  Some explanation, perhaps that you are still in negotiations with Google or that you are going to aim for a partnership with Apple or Samsung instead, or whatever the issue is, please get someone to tell us. 

I am certain that Bank of Ireland will at some stage provide a phone contactless service, but some indication that it might happen with one provider or another would be nice.  I know we don't matter much, just being your dwindling customer base and the people that pay your wages, but it would be nice to get a little more than the same bland line in response to this question.  So again, let the developers know about my comment, and those of others that have contributed here, and pass it on a bit higher up and get someone, somewhere to give something more of an answer than you are allowed to do.  Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Flukey wrote: »
    Elaine and the other ladies, I know you are only doing your job, giving us the party line and are limited in what you can say, but is there not someone who can come in here and give us a bit more explanation than what you can give us, or if not here in some public manner?  It seems incredible and pointless to have an article in the paper promoting the merits of contactless and also the partnership of Bank of Ireland and Evo Payments in regard to that, and then to come in here the next day and yet agan see the same standard answer of having no plans to do this.  We have got that message, but we would like to know why.  Back in 1980, Bank of Ireland led the way with the Pass Card and the first ATM, and from being the leader in technology we have come to the stage where you are not prepared to say if you will even run in the race.  Some explanation, perhaps that you are still in negotiations with Google or that you are going to aim for a partnership with Apple or Samsung instead, or whatever the issue is, please get someone to tell us. 

I am certain that Bank of Ireland will at some stage provide a phone contactless service, but some indication that it might happen with one provider or another would be nice.  I know we don't matter much, just being your dwindling customer base and the people that pay your wages, but it would be nice to get a little more than the same bland line in response to this question.  So again, let the developers know about my comment, and those of others that have contributed here, and pass it on a bit higher up and get someone, somewhere to give something more of an answer than you are allowed to do.  Thank you.
    Good Morning Flukey, 

Thank you for coming back to us on this thread. 

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our responses to date on this topic however, this is the only information we have. We always aim to help with the majority of queries raised, but in some instances, if information is deemed business sensitive we would be unable to discuss publicly. 

We appreciate all our customers feedback and please be assured that your comments here have been escalated to the most appropriate department. 

Thank you again, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement