Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor number

Options
  • 07-12-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a business and want a phone number that spells out the business name on Meteor. I explained how I didn't currently have the number (at length) and customer service rep #1 said yeah, no problem just get a sim and we'll port the number over to the new one when the sim arrives.

Sim arrives, customer service rep#2 and his supervisor both say "computer says no" :(

Apparently, the number I want (which I phoned and googled to make sure no-one has it) has not been issued to Meteor.

I checked for variants on other networks and a man in Galway has the 087 version of it, but neither the 086 or 085 numbers ring and there's nothing on google for those two either.

So my questions are;

1. Is there some new rule that says two people can't have the same number on different networks eg. if someone has 087 1234567 no one else can have 086 1234567 and 085 1234567?

2. If it's possible to get the 085 number issued who do I contact to make that happen since Comreg issue the numbers apparently...

I've heard wild tales on here of two brothers who had the 087 and 086 respectively of the same number so it must be possible.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Excluding number portability for a second, lets take Vodafone for a second. They have 35387 XXXXXXX as their block. That doesn't mean they automatically use 353870000000 to 353879999999. They use chunks. So you'll see lots of 87 407 XXXX numbers, and loads of 87 828XXXX (made up). Not every permutation is used.

The second bit is 087 444 5555 might be registered with Vodafone, ported to Meteor then abandoned. You won't be able to call it, but it won't be free for re-use for 366 days and when it is I'm not sure if it by default will revert to its original network.

If you're starting a business IMO a landline looks much more professional. Register an 076 non geo VOIP line with the trailing digits of your choice. Customers think its a traditional line but its not and you can answer on your mobile or a deskphone or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

ED E wrote: »
    Excluding number portability for a second, lets take Vodafone for a second. They have 35387 XXXXXXX as their block. That doesn't mean they automatically use 353870000000 to 353879999999. They use chunks. So you'll see lots of 87 407 XXXX numbers, and loads of 87 828XXXX (made up). Not every permutation is used.

The second bit is 087 444 5555 might be registered with Vodafone, ported to Meteor then abandoned. You won't be able to call it, but it won't be free for re-use for 366 days and when it is I'm not sure if it by default will revert to its original network.

If you're starting a business IMO a landline looks much more professional. Register an 076 non geo VOIP line with the trailing digits of your choice. Customers think its a traditional line but its not and you can answer on your mobile or a deskphone or both.

Note you can get VoIP numbers that are geographic also (01,021 etc) and still answer anywhere in world or on your mobile. They lifted the restriction to 076 only a few years ago.

Advertisement