Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1months rent and deposit stolen

Options
  • 07-12-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

We are in a shared flat which has two double rooms. The tenant that lives In one of the double rooms has been there for two years. He advertised the second room and we moved in on the 17th of October. We had to pay 1months rent and deposit up front, which I know is normal. He said we were to put it into his account for it all to be lodged straight to the agency as one lump sum. And we did this.
    4weeks later the agency contacted my boyfriend and I to say she never received the money and when we asked the flatmate he apologised and said there was a problem with the transfer. Another week went by and it still hasn't been sorted.
    The agency had to issue and eviction notice 2weeks ago today. We had paid the rent direct to the agency for this month to secure us in the flat. The flatmate promised it would be lodged in the agency account yesterday morning at the latest, which still hasn't happened. We arrived home last night to his TV gone from the living room and his room locked and we fear he is going to do a runner with our money. What do we do?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like scam, fraud, theft. Call the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Report it to the Gardai immediately. Bring all evidence possible, including bank transfer details, bank statements, emails/texts from letting agent, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All the above, and get the locks changed. Do it via the agent and he has to collect new keys from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Call the RTB to see where you stand too, so that the agent can't simply changes the locks and force you out. See if you can find any spare keys to open the room.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FWIW, here's what I would do:

1) Contact the flatmate and let him know if the missing rent is not returned within 24hours you will be reporting the theft to the Gardai
    2) Report the theft to the Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I don't suppose he could have sold his tv to get the money, really don't understand how he thinks he could get away with it as he lives with you and he is getting kicked out aswell i assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smc_w

The latest text we have received from him after mentioning we are going to the gardai.

Is that he doesn't appreciate being threatened and that he's in serious debt and he doesn't believe any money has been stolen. He said he will pay the money all back that is owed. And that he feels uncomfortable in the flat. We both are not home from work until after 7 and are both in bed by 10.30/ 11. We can't afford to pay deposit again and the months rent even if he is in money trouble. There just has been so much lies, it's hard to believe what he says anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

smc_w wrote: »
    The latest text we have received from him after mentioning we are going to the gardai.

Is that he doesn't appreciate being threatened and that he's in serious debt and he doesn't believe any money has been stolen. He said he will pay the money all back that is owed. And that he feels uncomfortable in the flat. We both are not home from work until after 7 and are both in bed by 10.30/ 11. We can't afford to pay deposit again and the months rent even if he is in money trouble. There just has been so much lies, it's hard to believe what he says anymore.

I wouldn't get into a debate with the other tenant about his finances. I'd just reiterate if the money is not returned within 24hours you will have no choice but to report the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Bring everything you have in text, email, letters to th Gardai ASAP.

You could also check with the bank and see if they can do a chargeback of the transferred money. It may not be possible though. It's probably too late for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"I'm in debt, I haven't stolen your money, it'll all be paid back", smells very much of a man with a gambling problem.

Your money is gone. You'll have to accept that now. Contact the Gardai.

I would go directly to the letting agent to explain what has happened and offer to pay your rent directly to them in order to hold onto your place.

Also it also now possible to do chargebacks on all bank transfers, so ask your bank to attempt this. They may not let it go through, but no harm in trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You say his room was locked but was he in there? Is he already gone and stalling for time by saying he'll return it

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Sounds like he is just stalling you while he makes his getaway.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he is already gone to live somewhere else.
    Go to the guards asap no excuses get to the station now.
    you have been conned out of your money you need to try and get it back asap.

Then I would call threshold and ask for there advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chargeback, and once you get your money back, move in somewhere else. Because even if you got this sorted now, I'd say this will be a continual problem, and I'm guessing the room is free because the last tenant moved out due to related bullsh|t.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I had this with a housemate years ago, don't believe the lies, go to the gardai straight away, contact the landlord and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

smc_w wrote: »
    There just has been so much lies, it's hard to believe what he says anymore.

what thesycho posted rings true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You say they tenant advertised the place but you are meant to be paying money to an agency, how did the agency get your details, did you sign a lease with them, have you signed any lease.

I'd be getting onto guards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Him being in debt is not your problem , being in debt doesn't mean someone can take my money/deposit and spend it. He always planned on taking it , that's why he asked for the money to be transferred into his account , he is taking you for a ride do not listen to any of his rubbish he has no intention of paying you back.
    Go to the guards and as others said get on to your bank, also explain exactly what is going on to the agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can't do a charge back on a money transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Is there anything lying around the house with his details on it? Get a full name, pps number, previous address, workplace, anything that'll help trace him because he's definitely doing a runner.
    The text was basically an admission he's taken your money.
    I'd try to get the guards to the house urgently, while he's there if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Wheety wrote: »
    You say his room was locked but was he in there? Is he already gone and stalling for time by saying he'll return it

I think he knew he was leaving and decided to rip you off for the money before he left. I think you won,t be seeing him or your money again and you might be evicted.

This is all another outcome of how people are being taken advantage of from this country,s property crisis.

• Advertisement

Nomis21 wrote: »
    This is all another outcome of how people are being taken advantage of from this country,s property crisis.

What a load of nonsense. This is the outcome of an individual getting into serious debt and taking advantage of an innocent couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I agree, if you can get your money back, move out. living with people with money (from gambling/drink/drug) problems only leads to things and money constantly going missing. I put up with it for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

benjamin d wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. This is the outcome of an individual getting into serious debt and taking advantage of an innocent couple.

It's even more a case of somebody being very naive and trusting somebody they only met, Disney films ain't real.

JamboMac wrote: »

It's even more a case of somebody being very naive and trusting somebody they only met, Disney films ain't real.

Not really, it's perfectly normal, standard behaviour to hand over rent and deposit when you move in somewhere. That's how it works, generally. It's not as if they're not seeing the guy every single day in normal circumstances. It's a bit unfair to call that naive imo.

It is an outcome of the property crisis because people are more pressured to accept circumstances and take risks like this because they are desperate for a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nomis21 wrote: »
    It is an outcome of the property crisis because people are more pressured to accept circumstances and take risks like this because they are desperate for a place to live.
    When you move into a houseshare, do you not pay rent and deposit? Because that's what everyone else does...!

the_syco wrote: »
    When you move into a houseshare, do you not pay rent and deposit? Because that's what everyone else does...!

Yes of course you pay those, but if you are desperate for a place to live you may be more inclined to take a risk rather than losing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RossieMan wrote: »
    You can't do a charge back on a money transfer.

If it was a SEPA transfer, then yes you can, in theory. I'm not sure though what burden of proof is required

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dudara wrote: »
    If it was a SEPA transfer, then yes you can, in theory. I'm not sure though what burden of proof is required

Its relatively straightforward- and for any new recipients (in the last year anyway) pretty much all transfers are SEPA transfers.

OP- contact your bank immediately- there may be time limits on initiating a SEPA chargeback- you need to get this in motion ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 bizleads

its quite common scam. unfortunately, landlord, agency wont help you - they will chase you for their money.
    You are in deep trouble because you gave the money voluntarily and its his word against yours, do you have anything signed with him, still then you would have to take him to court. Guards wont help you, in this case, just file a report. Try to live as long as possible in the property and move on or renegotiate with the landlord new terms.

Advertisement