Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Back-Up Pre-Installed Games (2DS)

• 07-12-2016 12:07pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Santa is bringing a 2DS to my 5 year old this year. It's got Pokemon Moon pre-installed and I've been reading that because it's pre-installed, if we ever have to format it, we'll lose the game. From what I can see, it's pre-installed on the SD card, so I'm wondering would it be possible for me to take the SD card out and make a copy of it in case we ever need it? It'd suck to have to go out and buy the game again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you back up the files on the SD, including the directory structure, you should be able to transfer those backed up files and directory structure to another SD card should something happen to the original.

BUT
    • Make sure you back up all relevant files, including any hidden ones. there are at least 2 key directory tree's you'll be worried about
    • Remember that those files are convolved with the system ID, you cannot move them to another 2DS / 3DS just by copying and pasting. They are tied to THIS 2DS.
    • If I remember correctly, Pokemon games in the recent past had some way of ensuring you were playing with the latest version of your save file and would have a mickey fit if you connected to GTS or other online features with a previous version of your file, probably to stop you cloning legendaries using the GTS and swapping SDs around. So don't mess around with multiple SDs!

I've never had a pre-installed game. Surely there's some means to "claim" the game for your NNID so that you can transfer the license if you ever upgrade or move on?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for that! I must check and see if there's some way to claim it back. It'd be a bit lousy if the DS had to be formatted for some reason and we lost the main game. I set it up earlier but there wasn't an option to register the product that I could see. Might get it out again when he's gone to bed and have another look ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As it's registered to that console, you can re-download it from the eshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

Also write down the serial number, in case it does vanish nintendo support can right it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

You'll be able to re download from Eshop pre installed or no. It will automatically link to the Nintendo ID.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Also write down the serial number, in case it does vanish nintendo support can right it.

The serial number of the 2DS vanish? I hardly think that's likely.

Serial Number sticker on my 3DS migrated about 1 inch to the left and a 1/4 inch up from where it's supposed to be over the course of a year, so i wouldn't rule it out.

Banjo wrote: »
    Serial Number sticker on my 3DS migrated about 1 inch to the left and a 1/4 inch up from where it's supposed to be over the course of a year, so i wouldn't rule it out.

System settings?

System Settings is great when you can access the OS. But if you can access the OS, you can fire up the 2DS and play games - why do you need your serial number to get Nintendo to move the game ownership to another handset?

Checkmate!

Put it this way, if you write it down and put it somewhere safe, you have at worst wasted a small piece of paper and 15 seconds of your life. If you don't you have at worst wasted some of the cost of the 2DS (accounting for value declining over time and/or any enjoyment derived between day 1 and the point of failure) + any time you spend frantically trying to get that serial number back and/or looking for the box (the serial is on a sticker on the box usually, too).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks so much for all the help guys! Serial number has been photographed and emailed to my email address and my husband's, and going to look into doing a backup tonight. I think that's the bases nice and covered (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

The serial number of the 2DS vanish? I hardly think that's likely.

Heh. I meant the game. But my og 3ds had the serial rubbed off.

Advertisement