If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little bit of help?

Options
  • 07-12-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭

I know ye'r not a tech support forum, but someone might have a solution to this issue - I've contacted SKY support and the guy didn't have any solution, so throwing this out to ye to see if anyone else has any ideas -  may be something i can solve without having to arrange an engineer call out....

SKY Q box, connected to an Onkyo Receiver and surround sound system, which is connected to the TV. Sound quality is generally good except for a double crackling sound which often, but not always, occurs when changing channels, but only on changing between HD channels.

the sound interference also occurs in recordings going from fast-forward to play - so press ff, then press play, then interference, then normal sound...

It's like a loud, quick, double tap sound and can be heard on all 5 speakers

The receiver is working perfectly with all other devices (xbox one, apple tv, chromecast, PC, Bluray Player) and worked perfectly with the older Sky+ HDbox.

I've done a reset on the SKY Q box, but no joy.

It's probably unrelated, but I'm also experiencing sound drop outs - picture is fine, but sound drops for upto 40 seconds or so...seems to be random across channels

any ideas, comments or solutions greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

actually, just discovered this on the SKY site - could a ferrite clip be the answer?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Able,

thanks for the update - what model Onkyo AVR do you have?

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Able,

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc
    onkyo TX-NR609, bought from richersounds in 2012, i think.

I changed the HDMI cable, but no change.

Crackling sound is something like when you tap a microphone twice to see if it's on.

It does not seem to occur when settings changed from Dolby to Normal on the SKY Q box.  Which defeats the purpose of having HD sound so I won't be doing that.

The sound drop outs only seem to occur in the first minute of watching a channel or recording, or after fast-forwarding thru an adbreak.

SKY are sending out an engineer, but I'm not entirely sure that a replacement box is going to solve it.  It must be something to do with the HDMI interface or control.  

I've gone into the settings of the Onkyo but there doesn't seem to be any obvious change to make.  The firmware is uptodate too.

ablelocks wrote: »
    Able,

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc
    onkyo TX-NR609, bought from richersounds in 2012, i think.

I changed the HDMI cable, but no change.

Crackling sound is something like when you tap a microphone twice to see if it's on.

It does not seem to occur when settings changed from Dolby to Normal on the SKY Q box.  Which defeats the purpose of having HD sound so I won't be doing that.

The sound drop outs only seem to occur in the first minute of watching a channel or recording, or after fast-forwarding thru an adbreak.

SKY are sending out an engineer, but I'm not entirely sure that a replacement box is going to solve it.  It must be something to do with the HDMI interface or control.  

I've gone into the settings of the Onkyo but there doesn't seem to be any obvious change to make.  The firmware is uptodate too.
    Able,

Sorry for the inconvenience but could you PM me the serial number of that unit - there was a component issue on some Onkyo AVR and only have been good and are extending the warranty on the affected units, if you send me the serial number I'll ask one of my guys to check it out for you and we will get back to you asap with a plan of attack.

Thanks again,
    John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Able,

Sorry for the inconvenience but could you PM me the serial number of that unit - there was a component issue on some Onkyo AVR and only have been good and are extending the warranty on the affected units, if you send me the serial number I'll ask one of my guys to check it out for you and we will get back to you asap with a plan of attack.

Thanks again,
    John Mc
    will do this evening, thanks John.

• Advertisement

after an update from John, the issue may be the receiver and if so it would be covered for repair under warranty.

However, when the sky box is connected directly to the TV, there is no sound on HD channels, but there is on the non-HD channels.

suggests there is also a problem with the SKY Q box, doesn't it?

edit - nope, the direct hdmi to TV doesn't support dolby so the HD channels will only work on the "normal" setting.

thanks to John for great customer service again!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

after an update from John, the issue may be the receiver and if so it would be covered for repair under warranty.

However, when the sky box is connected directly to the TV, there is no sound on HD channels, but there is on the non-HD channels.

suggests there is also a problem with the SKY Q box, doesn't it?

edit - nope, the direct hdmi to TV doesn't support dolby so the HD channels will only work on the "normal" setting.

thanks to John for great customer service again!
    Hey Ablelocks.

Thanks for letting us know.

Should we be able to help you part with some more of your hard earned cash in future please let us know ;)

I had this with an Onkyo receiver a few years back,
    sorted by richersounds.top class service!

I had this with an Onkyo receiver a few years back,
    sorted by richersounds.top class service!
    Cheers BrownFinger.

Have a great Christmas :D

I got the receiver replaced under the trade in programme, but am still experiencing similar issues with the new box.

the loud crackling sound is still an issue - it's not as frequent as on the other receiver but still there - random across the HD channels. Onkyo say this is a Sky issue, Sky say it's an Onkyo issue.

this crackling sound occurs on both HDMI input and on Optical.

there is also a very loud "click-pop" sound from inside the receiver, which Onkyo say is the sounds that the internal relays make as they open and close between different sound output types - to me they are quite loud? Onkyo says these sounds are normal. These sounds are only heard on HDMI, not on Optical.

I am disputing this with Onkyo and have asked for an exchange - but I don't think I'm going to get any satisfactory resolution from them.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭wandererz

I got the receiver replaced under the trade in programme, but am still experiencing similar issues with the new box.

the loud crackling sound is still an issue - it's not as frequent as on the other receiver but still there - random across the HD channels. Onkyo say this is a Sky issue, Sky say it's an Onkyo issue.

there is also a very loud "click-pop" sound from inside the receiver, which Onkyo say is the sounds that the internal relays make as they open and close between different sound output types - to me they are quite loud? Onkyo says these sounds are normal. These sounds are only heard on HDMI, not on Optical.

I am disputing this with Onkyo and have asked for an exchange - but I don't think I'm going to get any satisfactory resolution from them.

Those sounds are normal. 
    If you don't like them then switch to a soundbar or the TV's inbuilt speakers.
    Or in-deed another sound system.

Why not pick up one or more comaprable sound systems, compare them and then let us know the outcome?

wandererz wrote: »

Those sounds are normal. 

Why not pick up one or more comaprable sound systems, compare them and then let us know the outcome?
    that's really helpful advice   - John, can you send me 1 of each of your most expensive receivers please so i can compare and contrast, thanks.  Also, based on wandererz advice, maybe I should return the monitor audio sound system you sold me and just go with the TV speakers in future?

I appreciate the internal relays will make a noise, but is it normal that the click pop sounds so loud while changing channels?

as for the crackling sound, surely that isn't normal? 

Those sounds are normal. 

that's really helpful advice   - John, can you send me 1 of each of your most expensive receivers please so i can compare and contrast, thanks.  Also, based on wandererz advice, maybe I should return the monitor audio sound system you sold me and just go with the TV speakers in future?

I appreciate the internal relays will make a noise, but is it normal that the click pop sounds so loud while changing channels?

Hi Ablelocks.

I'm a little confused by your last post????

Are you asking for the loan of products?? We can not loan out items unless they are paid for in full first.
    You are more that welcome to come to our store and demo several if you would like?

I can not comment on how Wandererz feels or thinks about this but this is not the opinion of Richersounds.
    You should not be getting crackling noise from the speakers, have you checked that you speaker cable is not damaged or that the speakers themselves had not been damaged?
    Most AV unit will make some form of relay noise, even the high end ones. My RXV673 makes a clicking noise when you switch between inputs or when you turn it on but its not something that is off putting as I'm not constantly changing between sources.

TV speakers in my opinion do not sound better than an AV setup.

Unfortunately due to the 609 being out of warranty our hands would be tied and it would be up to Onkyo regarding having it repaired for you under warranty.

Regarding returning the speakers. Our returns policy for mail order sales are 30 days. If it is a week or so outside of this we could perhaps look at bending the rules for a boardie.

Those sounds are normal. 

I'm not too sure if you are being cynical on your above response but we don't normally loan out AV receivers but as ever you are welcome to pop in for a demo anytime and if you would like to bring your Onkyo AVR we can check it out for you?

In terms of the specific issue - lots of Customers report a crackling sound on Sky - and as the crackling follows the Sky output across HDMI and Optical I'd say it may indeed be a Sky issue - have you tried any other HDMI / Optical sources? If so do you get the same issue?

with regard to relay click - unfortunately pretty much all AVR's do that and it can be really annoying but its really not a reliability issue.

..However if you are unhappy dont hesitate to drop us up the AVR and we will check it out for you,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I was being sarcastic - i didn't think I'd need to put in a smiley 

:rolleyes:

lesson learned.

just to be clear - I'm not looking for the loan of or to purchase new receiver, nor am i seeking to return my speakers, which are working fine on all other devices.

As the crackling noises only occur on the Sky Q box, I'll get back on them.  But not expecting much from that side in terms of support.

As for the internal relay noises, I was looking for yer feedback and if ye think it's normal then I'll take that on board, thanks.  It's just that they are far louder on the replacement 646 than on the older 609

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Hi ablelocks,

The usual rule here is that queries are for Richersounds to answer - as set out in the Charter, this forum is not a place for tech discussion or advice from other Boardies, among other reasons to avoid exactly the sort of misunderstanding that arose in the last few posts here. I allowed your request for ideas or suggestions (which I assumed was aimed at Boardies in general) in post 11 above on the basis that you were having difficulties that weren't solved by upgrading your reciever and someone with similar equipment might be able to help - with hindsight it would have been better to intervene and avoid the ensuing misunderstandings.

In the circumstances I think it might be better to post a query on the Home Entertainment forums if you are looking for input from Boardies to help solve your problem.

To avoid any further misunderstandings, I'm requesting Boardies not to post on this thread again.

If you want to have this thread closed I'll be happy to comply and you'll be free to open a new thread with any query for Richersounds.

For what its worth I experienced the usual relay sounds on an Onkyo Reciever and didn't think it was unusual, crackling sounds from a particular device and not from others would point me toward issues with connections or the connected device itself, not the reciever.

Cheers,

Ritz.

sorry, i had posted in the HE forum too, but wanted to post direct to Richer sounds too but forgot to remove the "does anyone else..." line when i copied and pasted  - i had pm'ed john but figured he hadn't seen it..

I should have just ignored post no. 12 which would have been a more appropriate response.

anyway, I'm getting a call from Sky tomorrow - although I won't be holding out much hope there.

And in fairness to Onkyo, they are sending me a demo unit from their tech support centre to do a comparison, which is quite sound of them. 

sorry, i had posted in the HE forum too, but wanted to post direct to Richer sounds too but forgot to remove the "does anyone else..." line when i copied and pasted  - i had pm'ed john but figured he hadn't seen it..

I should have just ignored post no. 12 which would have been a more appropriate response.

anyway, I'm getting a call from Sky tomorrow - although I won't be holding out much hope there.

And in fairness to Onkyo, they are sending me a demo unit from their tech support centre to do a comparison, which is quite sound of them. 
    No problem, I hope Onkyo get you sorted!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.