Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Woodturning & pics.

Options
  • 07-12-2016 1:41pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    so after a long time away (years !!) from my woodturning, I am starting again.
    I was given some fresh beech, which got me to relook at my equipment etc.

a few pics of the beech & lathe after a few questions for ye.

Q.
    where are you getting your bandsaw blades ?
    what wood glue are you using - gorilla ?
    any new finishes for bowls/lamps - all still using Danish Oil ?
    where to get clock inserts and bottle stopper parts ?

Thanks
    Look forward to trying a Yew hollow vessel over Xmas period.
    Just ordered a Hope hollowing tool to see what that's like.

31482144465_fe08f149e8.jpg20161104_153204

31482144415_84c121b993.jpg20161203_162217

30673391253_80eea42a92.jpg20161102_144252

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm just back at my woodturning too after many years away from it. I used turn a lot of table lamps. I got this link from a UK turning forum when I was looking for some lamp parts http://www.lampspares.co.uk/fixings/

I'm still using beeswax for some finishing. I was schocked at the price of sanding sealer, €35 for a litre, from local hardware (can it be got cheaper anywhere?).

I got some clock inserts only recently (waiting for delivery) from amazon. Cheapest I could find sofar (still pricey to my mind) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=clock+insert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was using wax finishes for bowls, but found they're not exactly waterproof, which is a pain when a bowl you've given away to someone is put in a cupboard because they've tried washing it or wiping it with a wet cloth...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i was using wax finishes for bowls, but found they're not exactly waterproof, which is a pain when a bowl you've given away to someone is put in a cupboard because they've tried washing it or wiping it with a wet cloth...
    I've been using oil finishes from an Australian company called Organoil for large items such as bowls for a while now.

http://www.organoil.com.au/woodcraft/index.html

You sand as usual, apply the oil and then do the final sanding wet using very fine wet-and-dry, creating a very fine 'slurry' that fills the grain. The heat generated hardens the oil. This creates a soft, satin sheen, not a gloss finish, but once it's been left a while to fully cure I often finish it off with this stuff from another Australian company called U-Beaut which brings it up beautifully.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm

I also use their Shellawax cream friction polish for small items, and finish with EEE-Ultra Shine too.

The combination creates a very natural finish in my opinion, and lets the wood shine through. I don't like overly glossy synthetic finishes at all.

Unfortunately people do mis-treat bowls and platters, I even had a platter returned to me once because it had warped. Turned out they'd been putting it in the dishwasher :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm still using beeswax for some finishing. I was schocked at the price of sanding sealer, €35 for a litre, from local hardware (can it be got cheaper anywhere?).
    Buy shellac flakes from ebay and denatured alcohol from pretty much anywhere, mix in correct proportions, get sanding sealer (or shellac or french polish for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Ruth Niles in the US has great bottle stoppers. They are stainless steel and not the plated ones you'd find on this side of the pond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice logging jig there Karl.

I like the adjusters for the rise and fall measurement.

Nice...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks kadman,

a friend with great metal skills made it for me a few years back when I had some big Yew to cut and didn't want to waste any by free hand cutting.
    I also got a proper ripping chain recently for the 3 ft bar and that makes a hugh difference in the wood finish and ease of cutting. well worth the price.

this was a yew platter from years ago, but still have that timber.
    31134089930_d38a9c5366.jpg

so really looking forward to turning again and trying some more interesting pieces (hollow forms and vases) instead of pumping out salad bowls.

want to make a few vintage rolling pins for the nieces for xmas.

and daily visits here :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Definitely agree that the proper ripping chain is the business.

I normally re file a standard chain to suit, if a ripping chain is not available.

And as for the yew...............its the business for turning, best of the lot.

2 cents

Advertisement