Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit Review by County Council

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

All good and well, pity there aren't a few more guards about to enforce the existing limits and general rules of the road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In all my time spent going to Sligo for a weekend here and there and the occasional week or two, I'm never once seen a speed van or Gardaí check point. And I've been heading up and down to Sligo with the Wife for the last 5 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There's plenty of speed vans about, it's just that they're in the wrong place, I've passed two speed vans and a garda speed trap on the dual carriageway from Collooney to Sligo this month alone, that's shooting fish in a barrel if you ask me, they should be properly placed on roads where it's clearly dangerous to be over the limit.

As for reducing the speed limit from Castlebaldwin to Collooney to 80kph, it'll be ignored, for the most part of that route, 100kph is adequate as a speed limit, it's only the few corners where you need to travel under that, reducing the speed will encourage some dangerous overtaking on that stretch of road, especially with the amount of traffic that travels on it.

It will only add about 3 minutes onto the journey but people can be impatient...

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

"it will be local councillors who will ultimtely make the decisions for the roads the council is responsible for."

How is it that some untrained f**ktard has the ultimate say over someone who is a qualified engineer. Of course there's going to be objections to these all over the place by Joe soap, representative of ballygobackwards.

Castlebaldwin already in on it... can't have the common driver passing by our 3 houses, closed down car forecourt and cow sheds, at 60kph, they might want to stop.

All of the figures stated are what those roads should have been, it's a much better representation of the crap underfunded roads system is in the northwest.

The problem is people are used to driving at 120kph on a 100kph, 80kph etc zone. The only way to enforce it is to place permanent deterrents in place, the best of which would be average speed cameras... which is the only part of the whole process that the morons in the council should be doing.

At least the council have no say in what happens on the national main routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Just parking this here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

rizzodun wrote: »
    There's plenty of speed vans about, it's just that they're in the wrong place, I've passed two speed vans and a garda speed trap on the dual carriageway from Collooney to Sligo this month alone, that's shooting fish in a barrel if you ask me, they should be properly placed on roads where it's clearly dangerous to be over the limit.

Strandhill Road, IDA Park and a few other straight stretches of roads around town would be more appropriate.
    "it will be local councillors who will ultimtely make the decisions for the roads the council is responsible for."

How is it that some untrained f**ktard has the ultimate say over someone who is a qualified engineer. Of course there's going to be objections to these all over the place by Joe soap, representative of ballygobackwards.

That's sounds like Politics sadly, no need to listen to sound, qualified advice whatsoever.
    Just parking this here

It's a bit ridiculous, but looks like a dare more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

propsed to reduce the speed limit from 100kph to 80kph on the N17 from Thornhill Bridge to Curry village

This is absolutely moronic. Like amazingly majorly moronic. More rules to be put in place for people to break every time they drive the stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

L.Jenkins wrote: »

It's a bit ridiculous, but looks like a dare more than anything else.

There's also a blind right-hand corner about 50 yards past the speed limit sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Jayop wrote: »
    propsed to reduce the speed limit from 100kph to 80kph on the N17 from Thornhill Bridge to Curry village

This is absolutely moronic. Like amazingly majorly moronic. More rules to be put in place for people to break every time they drive the stretch of road.

To be fair, it should never have been 100 to begin with, it's a terrible quality of road. At best it should have been 100km/h in stretches. Roads of that quality/width there should be a minimal speed limits introduced. Roughly 40% of the time I've travelled that road I've been stuck in a tailback.

If you do the calculations for that change in speed it will only take about 5 minutes longer to cover the 24km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

To be fair, it should never have been 100 to begin with, it's a terrible quality of road. At best it should have been 100km/h in stretches. Roads of that quality/width there should be a minimal speed limits introduced. Roughly 40% of the time I've travelled that road I've been stuck in a tailback.

If you do the calculations for that change in speed it will only take about 5 minutes longer to cover the 24km.

No, because if the speed limit is 80kmph then the morons that drive at 80 now will drive at 65 then. The only part of that stretch that should be 80 is the 3/4 miles on the south side of Baninacarrow.

I've driven that road every day twice for 11 years and for the most part it's very well able to take driving from 100 to 110 kmph no problem apart from the aforementioned stretch. The first mile of so south of Tubber is also very bendy but no-one speeds there as the corners force people to slow down so a speed limit reduction is not needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement