Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options
  • 07-12-2016 3:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, another Apple Pay thread, but for good reason this time:

Android Pay launched in Ireland today - for AIB and KBC customers anyway. Will this give Apple, and whichever banks are holding out, the push they need?

Adrian Wreckler suggests it might still be a while:
    The move makes Android Pay the first phone payment system in Ireland. Apple was thought to be preparing the introduction of Apple Pay into the Irish market by the start of 2017, but this now looks unlikely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

ApplePay is great. I use it all the time (living in the UK). Looking forward to getting the apple watch at christmas and using that instead rather than whipping out the old phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If Android can now work, I don't see any reason for Apple Pay not to apart from negotiations over fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Adrian Wreckler suggests it might still be a while:[/QUOTE]

Is he privey to inside info from Apple or does he think that it will be delayed because of the introduction of Google Pay. I would have thought that todays news would have increased the likelihood of Apple Pay coming sooner rather than later :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Doesn't Apple usually require a software update to enable features in new countries? I have to assume that they cant enable that sort of feature OTA without being user initiated. Maybe I'm wrong on this

I'd guess that if it were to come, it would probably come with 10.3 update, the X.3 update last year was in March. 10.2 looks like its coming out soon, so it were to come in the nearish future, probably 10.3, or iOS 11, but hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

miralize wrote: »
    Doesn't Apple usually require a software update to enable features in new countries? I have to assume that they cant enable that sort of feature OTA without being user initiated. Maybe I'm wrong on this

I'd guess that if it were to come, it would probably come with 10.3 update, the X.3 update last year was in March. 10.2 looks like its coming out soon, so it were to come in the nearish future, probably 10.3, or iOS 11, but hopefully not.

That certainly used to be the case because it would be mentioned in the iOS updates. Spain got Apple Pay last week without an update. There must be some hidden feature in iOS 10 that allows them to update the list of countries to enable Apple Pay without issuing a point update for iOS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Razor Russ wrote: »

Is he privey to inside info from Apple or does he think that it will be delayed because of the introduction of Google Pay. I would have thought that todays news would have increased the likelihood of Apple Pay coming sooner rather than later :confused:

He suggested on twitter it might be closer to sooner, but I don't think he knows either way.

He suggested on twitter it might be closer to sooner, but I don't think he knows either way.

Of course he doesn't know. Why would he?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »

Apple Pay launches in most other countries were signposted in the media up to several months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Pushing me over to Android! I'm really starting to wonder what's iOS offering that makes it worth my while staying.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure it would start leaking once the banks start working to enable it for their customers, which would presumably be months before the announcement date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

awec wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it would start leaking once the banks start working to enable it for their customers, which would presumably be months before the announcement date.

Not necessarily. While American Express was announced for Spain ages ago, the inclusion of the countries biggest bank, Banco Santander, didn't leak until the day before launch. Hopefully now that Aib have android pay, customer demand will push someone to go with Apple Pay.

Pushing me over to Android! I'm really starting to wonder what's iOS offering that makes it worth my while staying.

Really don't so how it's such a big issue to make you change phone when you know it will eventually come to iOS.

So much prefer the look of iPhones and the iOS experience, having used both platforms!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

He's one of two Irish journalists that Apple invite to their events, while yes he most likely doesn't know, it's possible he'd know more than others.

miralize wrote: »

Apple launched Apple Pay in Spain last week, there was no software update, there is however a silent update to allow Apple Wallet to check their servers to display the UI in your region however.
    If Android can now work, I don't see any reason for Apple Pay not to apart from negotiations over fees.

This is the reason it hasn't launched here, you'll see with the launch of Android pay which banks were being dicks about it. I'd guess Apple would want to launch with at least 3 banks here the big one missing from Android Pay is the stickler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My 3 Ireland iphone works with apple pay with my UK card... no software update needed.

Really don't so how it's such a big issue to make you change phone when you know it will eventually come to iOS.

So much prefer the look of iPhones and the iOS experience, having used both platforms!

It's an extremely useful feature that keeps your debit card number away from potential skimmers and is genuinely very useful.

I'm due to upgrade my work phone so I may jump ship.

I don't really have any great loyalty to Apple. If they offer a compelling product, great. If they don't, I'll look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

It's a case of them wanting to work with Irish Banks. Seeing as we still don't have an Apple Shop in the republic I don't think it's very likely we will see Apple Pay soon. My guess is they don't see very much potential outside of Dublin meaning they would rather invest in the likes of Germany and France first.

Android Pay is a different Story as Googles Dublin Operations is massive - so likely there are ties and connections to the Irish banks, in comparison Apples Operation is rather small and based in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have Apple Pay on my phone and used once just out of curiosity in Costa (live in UK).

Not particularly bothered as it is just as easy to use Contactless on the debit card plus I get 5% cashback every month each time I use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Android Pay is a different Story as Googles Dublin Operations is massive - so likely there are ties and connections to the Irish banks, in comparison Apples Operation is rather small and based in cork.

Such rubbish!!! Apple's operation is rather small??? They employ over 4,000 people in Cork!!! Google have around 3,000...

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    It's a case of them wanting to work with Irish Banks. Seeing as we still don't have an Apple Shop in the republic I don't think it's very likely we will see Apple Pay soon. My guess is they don't see very much potential outside of Dublin meaning they would rather invest in the likes of Germany and France first.

So much wrong with this post. Apart from the number of employees as already pointed out.

You don't seem to understand business whatsoever.
    Not having an Apple store here is for other reasons and nothing to do with Apple Pay not being here yet.
    Their stores are only located in 20 countries; to follow your logic then no Apple products would be available here at all.

Also, Apple Pay is only in 13 countries and will eventually come here as negotiations with banks complete.

As Apple routes so much revenues through Ireland (have you heard of the €13bn tax case?) then you can be sure that Apple definitely have relationships with banks here and those banks would love to deal with Apple Pay as it will benefit their business.

I'd say you'll see Apple Pay and probably Samsung Pay launch very rapidly now that Google has taken the initiative.

There's a relatively small number of retail banks here, and it's most likely Apple didn't offer something lucrative enough to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

tallpaul wrote: »
    Such rubbish!!! Apple's operation is rather small??? They employ over 4,000 people in Cork!!! Google have around 3,000...

Apple currently employ 5,500 in Cork with another 1,000 jobs being added in the next year. That's more than double Googles work force here.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's the difference between Samsung Pay and Android Pay?

Android pay is a Google service available to any non-rooted, modern Android device with NFC and access to the Google Play store.

Samsung Pay is a competing service only available on Samsung devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It's an extremely useful feature that keeps your debit card number away from potential skimmers and is genuinely very useful.

Independent research companies have noticed the use of Apple pay by American consumers is declining for the last 12 months. It might be useful, but most see it as a novelty that is wearing off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Samsung Pay can work on machines with a strip reader too, which is a lot more useful in the US. Their one also works on wearables like Apples does, Android Pay doesn't.

Stipe readers are totally irrelevant in this market and will be in the USA very soon. That approach is incredibly insecure.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know but it's just an addition they have for terminals that need it. NFC payments still work the same on it too.

Not many of those in Europe though. NFC is very widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Stipe readers are totally irrelevant in this market and will be in the USA very soon. That approach is incredibly insecure.

I don't think you realise the sheer scale of the US market. it takes years to move tech over. I'm over in the states every 8 weeks or so and the amount of card readers that can't take a chip and pin payment let alone a contactless payment is staggering.

The deadline was October 1st 2015 to move to EMV (Chip and pin) cards, many many many retailers didn't even hit this deadline, instead went with Chip and signature, which in reality it's no better than just swiping.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

US is very different to here, they have loads of very small banks. They won't change any time soon.

I've never seen a chip and pin in the US. The most advanced thing I have seen is those digital signature machines.

Advertisement