Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Wouldn't work for me in the U.S. Apple pay logo on the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

€110 in Nike Outlet Blanch no hassle but €65 Smyths didn't work as terminal has limit configured.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldn't work for me in OBriens off license. Had to use contactless card instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Might be good to get a sticky going with places where it works or doesnt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

dave oc wrote: »
    Might be good to get a sticky going with places where it works or doesnt?

Not sure it is practical to have a thread with every single shop people visit though? (that will be a very long list)

Even for chains such as Tesco or McDonald's unless they have a national policy to support Apple Pay you can not assume that because it works at one location it will work at all others, as they might have different payment terminals, so you would have to list all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't work for me in OBriens off license. Had to use contactless card instead.

Must be on a branch by branch basis :/, it's worked in two different O'Brien's' for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I thought all either apple pay or Android pay needs to work from a retailer point of view is a contactless terminal? Ie its nothing to do with the retailer anything everything to do with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's all to do with the bank. Android pay costs them nothing, Apple pay costs them as they have to pass on a portion of the interchange fees to Apple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I thought all either apple pay or Android pay needs to work from a retailer point of view is a contactless terminal? Ie its nothing to do with the retailer anything everything to do with the bank.

For most part this is true, but different shops have different terminals with different versions of software, not all of which may support Apple Pay fully. When I worked in retail some of the terminals in the shop didn't like American Express cards. *shrugs*

• Advertisement

Must be on a branch by branch basis :/, it's worked in two different O'Brien's' for me.

I was in Carrickmines.

I was in a rush and there was a queue behind me so didn't want to mess around too much, could just have been a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Ok. Looks like it's my phone. Just tried in dubbed, watch worked, phone didn't.

Keeps coming up "no card present"

The watch is admittedly handier but I sometimes don't wear it.

Anyone any ideas? It's an iPhone 6

OU812 wrote: »
    Ok. Looks like it's my phone. Just tried in dubbed, watch worked, phone didn't.

Keeps coming up "no card present"

The watch is admittedly handier but I sometimes don't wear it.

Anyone any ideas? It's an iPhone 6

When you put the phone next to an active contactless terminal, does detect the terminal automatically before displaying that error message?(without you having to double tap the home button)

If yes, it's likely a software issue and Apple will probably tell you to remove the card from Apple Pay and add it again, then if it doesn't work to reset your network settings, and final step to wipe the phone and set- it up all over again (not idea I know).

If you have to trigger it manually, it might be an hardware issue (I had this with an iPhone 6 back in August - everything was working fine except Apple Pay - and they replaced it which fixed the problem).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Worked fine in Tesco on iPhone, and Lidl with Watch today. Using Boon until AIB get their act together.

Bob24 wrote: »
    When you put the phone next to an active contactless terminal, does detect the terminal automatically before displaying that error message?(without you having to double tap the home button)

If yes, it's likely a software issue and Apple will probably tell you to remove the card from Apple Pay and add it again, then if it doesn't work to reset your network settings, and final step to wipe the phone and set- it up all over again (not idea I know).

If you have to trigger it manually, it might be an hardware issue (I had this with an iPhone 6 back in August - everything was working fine except Apple Pay - and they replaced it which fixed the problem).

Doesn't detect. I guess it times out and the No Card Present error comes up.

OU812 wrote: »
    Doesn't detect. I guess it times out and the No Card Present error comes up.

Argh :-s Might be time to contact Apple about it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

whiterebel wrote: »
    Worked fine in Tesco on iPhone, and Lidl with Watch today. Using Boon until AIB get their act together.

They're seemingly in no hurry. No sign of them supporting it in the North.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Argh :-s Might be time to contact Apple about it ...

think its out of warranty by now

Wonder if we'll get the News app soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Tried it for the first time in Nando's using the boon app as I'm not with KBC or UB.

10/10 would Apple Pay again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Love getting strange looks off cashiers after paying with a watch :pac:

Simply Red wrote: »
    Love getting strange looks off cashiers after paying with a watch :pac:

Enjoy, it won't last very long as even if people using it are in a minority they will get used to it very quickly. Probably in a few years time they'll give strange looks again when you hand them cash or a physical card though ;-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just got the boon app.

Might be a stupid question, but i'm assuming, you can only spend what's actually in your boon account?

Even tho i have it linked to my regular CC and auto top up is enabled....i can still only spend what's in the boon account at any one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

eeloe wrote: »
    Just got the boon app.

Might be a stupid question, but i'm assuming, you can only spend what's actually in your boon account?

Even tho i have it linked to my regular CC and auto top up is enabled....i can still only spend what's in the boon account at any one time?

Yeah.

Still waiting for my first successful transaction.

1 dunkin donuts declined
    2 dunnes stores - machine didn't recognise presence of any device
    3 aldi - device recognised and transaction declined, presumably because it was over €30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

With AIB so set up the Boon card and have used it in Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Dunne's & Casey's garage (all in Roscommon). Yer one in Dunne's spent a whole minute looking at the receipt, she had no idea what i did with my phone, i would of been quicker paying cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Spent about €45 in the off license last night with apple pay. Martins in Fairview. No problems.

Although spent about €8 in the Topaz at the Port Tunnel and it required a signature.

Cloudio9 wrote: »

1 dunkin donuts declined
    3 aldi - device recognised and transaction declined, presumably because it was over €30

I should say that the dunnes transaction was at the self serve terminal so maybe they don't do contact less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

What's the point of people using a boon card?! For the novelty of being able to use your phone? On a contactless terminal that can already take the contactless card you surely already have for the account your paying money to the boon card from..........I'm I getting that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Cloudio9 wrote: »

1 dunkin donuts declined

Aldi transactions are not limited to €30 in Aldi. I would check your device/settings.

Advertisement