Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What's the point of people using a boon card?! For the novelty of being able to use your phone? On a contactless terminal that can already take the contactless card you surely already have for the account your paying money to the boon card from..........I'm I getting that right?

Not having to rely on having your wallet or cards on you to pay for goods.

Not having to take a card, wallet or even phone out of your pocket for payment when you have an Apple Watch for example.

Yeah maybe it's for the novelty of it all but setting up Boon is very easy and doesn't take much time.

Not sure why you're concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I should say that the dunnes transaction was at the self serve terminal so maybe they don't do contact less

Nope, works fine on Android. Settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

TheChizler wrote: »
    Nope, works fine on Android. Settings?

There aren't really any settings with Apple pay.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have never previously made a card contact less payment with Ulster. I have a vague memory of reading that you need to enter your pin the first time you do a contact less card payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What's the point of people using a boon card?! For the novelty of being able to use your phone? On a contactless terminal that can already take the contactless card you surely already have for the account your paying money to the boon card from..........I'm I getting that right?

AIB Cards won't work with Apple Pay, so I can just top up boon and use that. I think it costs €1 to top it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whiterebel wrote: »
    AIB Cards won't work with Apple Pay, so I can just top up boon and use that. I think it costs €1 to top it up.

Isn't your first year free?

I have not been charged so far.

• Advertisement

To the people scratching their head wondering why people use boon or why banks like boi would pay Apple a portion of the transaction fee just to have Apple pay, the answer is young customers want to use mobile for everything and fintech startups like boon are new forming customer banking relationships with people that the traditional banks used to have exclusivity on.

That is a massive threat to the relevance of traditional banks and their transition fee model which creates most of their income and they are sh1tting themselves about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Looks like Boon are giving 5% back on Boon payments today. Used it in Boots and Starbucks and got a "special top up" of 5% immediately after each transaction.

I still have a French account so don't know if Irish Boon accounts are getting it too.

Just set mine up, hoping it will be very useful to me as my ulster bank card isn't contactless! Is there a list anywhere of retailers in Ireland that use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Just tried it in the post office & they're not set up for contactless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just set mine up, hoping it will be very useful to me as my ulster bank card isn't contactless! Is there a list anywhere of retailers in Ireland that use it?

There's a list on Apple's site, but it's not definitive and even of those listed it depends on the shop/terminal. It might work in one branch and not at another. Most places that accept contactless will probably work. However, even places that officially support it, staff usually aren't trained so will tell you they don't. Best thing to do is not mention anything about ApplePay - just ask to pay contactless and give it a try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OU812 wrote: »
    Just tried it in the post office & they're not set up for contactless

Apple lists An Post as supporting Apple Pay on their site, so it probably depends on the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

tallpaul wrote: »
    Aldi transactions are not limited to €30 in Aldi. I would check your device/settings.

Anything over 30 euro it's chip and pin as far as I no

Am I right that you just hold your finger on touch ID with the phone locked or on the home screen, or do you need to have the wallet app open? Don't want to look like an idiot first time I try it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Am I right that you just hold your finger on touch ID with the phone locked or on the home screen, or do you need to have the wallet app open? Don't want to look like an idiot first time I try it :P

On the lock screen you double click, once you get the card showing on the screen hold your finger on the touch ID close to the terminal. (Make sure in settings Wallet & Apple Pay you have enable the option to Double-Click Home Button)

You can test all of it at home before you leave to make sure you have the card showing when double click.

You don't need to have the Wallet app open.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If your phone is unlocked (like mine is all the time whilst in a queue) just hold your phone to the contactless terminal. It will activate the Apple Pay screen just by holding it near.

Got it, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

naughto wrote: »
    Anything over 30 euro it's chip and pin as far as I no

No. I have paid for transactions well over €30 with my watch without any issues.

How are you people spending more than €30 in Aldi? :pac:

How are you people spending more than €30 in Aldi? :pac:

Wine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Wine!

Lots of wine! :D

Used it for the first time in lidl earlier and I didn't think I could be surprised at the speed of technology anymore but wow it was fast!! Can definitely see it being my preferred payment method from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/27/wells-fargo-apple-pay/Wells Fargo have just introduced Apple Pay on ATMs which is a genius move

I've managed one transaction from five attempts so far. Was impressed how quickly it processed when it did work.

Just to clarify, do I need to tell the staff I want to do a contactless payment or should the machine just recognise the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Just to clarify, do I need to tell the staff I want to do a contactless payment or should the machine just recognise the phone?

Don't think you need to say it's contactless. The machine will take either once activated

I've managed one transaction from five attempts so far. Was impressed how quickly it processed when it did work.

Tell them you are paying by contactless.

It should recognise the phone, but as with chip & pin payments, the terminal needs to on and ready first. Some till software will do this automatically, but with many the operator has to press a button for card payment.

I've just gotten to a point of saying "Can I pay by card" and let them present the machine to me. If you say "Can I pay by contactless" you'll get "But it's over 30" then you'll have to say "Oh, no it's ok, I'm paying by magic that your stupid boss hasn't paid for you to be trained on, don't worry I'm not robbing the shop and you won't get in trouble with your boss, it's this new thing called Apple Pay". As you can see it's easier to say "Can I pay by card" and then do the magic :pac:

Yeah, good point about the limit. When you know they accept contactless, saying "pay by card" is probably better. The main reason I suggested saying "pay by contactless" is to spare yourself looking foolish in case they don't accept contactless or it's not working at that terminal.

Yeah, good point about the limit. When you know they accept contactless, saying "pay by card" is probably better. The main reason I suggested saying "pay by contactless" is to spare yourself looking foolish in case they don't accept contactless or it's not working at that terminal.

I look forward to the day when you have to make a request to pay by cash.

• Advertisement

Used this in dunnes last night. Phone Was saying "hold close to card reader". My phone Was touching the reader. Was just about to give up when I moved the phone to touch the glass display on the reader and it recognised the phone. Wonder if my phone case is affecting the signal.

Advertisement