Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Used this in dunnes last night. Phone Was saying "hold close to card reader". My phone Was touching the reader. Was just about to give up when I moved the phone to touch the glass display on the reader and it recognised the phone. Wonder if my phone case is affecting the signal.

Could be. I'm using an Apple silicon case and have no problems but if there's aluminium or really thick plastic in your case it probably is interfering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Could be. I'm using an Apple silicon case and have no problems but if there's aluminium or really thick plastic in your case it probably is interfering

"a layer of high-grade polycarbonate (PC) and one of thermo polyurethane (TPU)"

It's not quite as thin as an Apple silicon or leather case but not bulky either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    "a layer of high-grade polycarbonate (PC) and one of thermo polyurethane (TPU)"

It's not quite as thin as an Apple silicon or leather case but not bulky either.

Unless they pout some metal particles in their plastic, I don't think this should cause any issue.

Maybe next time try from a distance with the case first. And if it doesn't work ory from the same distance without the case to see if it makes a difference.

Also just a wild guess but if it is specifically at this location it could be that the shop put the POS terminal inside a thick a metal holder which prevents it from functioning properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

Had an issue in Spar on Baggot street on Wednesday. Went to pay for my sandwich, I had my phone ready and I was moving it towards the machine to pay and as the girl was entering the amount into the machine my phone vibrated and said 'done'.

The sales assistant immediately said it didn't work and I need the physical card (I hadn't told her it went through) and I was unsure so I went to try again and my phone said that the last transaction was 'just now' and for the cost of the sandwich. Still shown as not paid on the machine.

She got the manager and the manager was very nice about, I showed him my phone and I offered to check the UB app to see if the transaction was listed but he said it was fine and that he didn't want to overcharge me.

Saturday now and transaction still hasn't shown up in the UB app, I'm scared to use it in the Spar again because it's always the same lady behind the Insomnia counter and she might think I'm trying the scam the place :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

LC2017 wrote: »
    Had an issue in Spar on Baggot street on Wednesday. Went to pay for my sandwich, I had my phone ready and I was moving it towards the machine to pay and as the girl was entering the amount into the machine my phone vibrated and said 'done'.

The sales assistant immediately said it didn't work and I need the physical card (I hadn't told her it went through) and I was unsure so I went to try again and my phone said that the last transaction was 'just now' and for the cost of the sandwich. Still shown as not paid on the machine.

She got the manager and the manager was very nice about, I showed him my phone and I offered to check the UB app to see if the transaction was listed but he said it was fine and that he didn't want to overcharge me.

Saturday now and transaction still hasn't shown up in the UB app, I'm scared to use it in the Spar again because it's always the same lady behind the Insomnia counter and she might think I'm trying the scam the place :D:D

You should be able to go to the wallet app. Tap the card and tap the i and click transactions. If it went through it will be listed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

My Apple Watch has been declined twice now using the boon app Both in insomnia and Tesco but it worked using the phone.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I am over in the USA on holidays & using Apple Pay in most places no issues with KBC card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Phone has been declined twice by Topaz, and once in Applegreen. All small purchases, approx €2.50 for coffee. €10 left in credit, so just trying to use it up

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

I tried to make a purchase on Apple's store app on my iPhone and pay with apple pay using boon but it keeps declining my card. The wallet app in transactions lists all the attempted transactions to Apple as declined. I have more than enough money in my boon account to cover the transaction. Has anyone else had trouble using boon and paying in an app. I have had no trouble in the past paying with boon in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Revolut tweeted this yesterday.

Looks like Revolut will soon be able to be used for making payments with Apple Pay, that will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Oh sweet jesus YES!!!!
    I love Revolut
    Thanks for posting :)
    murpho999 wrote: »

Revolut tweeted this yesterday.

Looks like Revolut will soon be able to be used for making payments with Apple Pay, that will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Has anyone used apple pay on the London underground yet with an Ulster Bank card?
    Will be over there soon, it would be handy and should work no problem, just wondering if there'd be extra charges.

neilc wrote: »
    Has anyone used apple pay on the London underground yet with an Ulster Bank card?
    Will be over there soon, it would be handy and should work no problem, just wondering if there'd be extra charges.
    I'm not sure, Ulster Bank ROI are weird, their debit cards don't work in the majority of pay at pump petrol stations (especially Maxol). I wouldn't be surprised if the tube wouldn't work.

If it does, there won't be any extra charges for using contactless (from the Transport for London side of things), however there will probably be charges for FX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

neilc wrote: »

Word of advice for using it on the Tube... activate Apple Pay before you get to the turn-style, I.e. Double click the home button when the phone is locked and have your finger on the touchID sensor so it shows "hold nearer the reader" this means it instantly connects to the reader. If you just hold your phone up to the reader it takes that extra second or 2 to wake up, and while that may not seem like much, it's a lifetime when you're in a busy underground turnstyle queue!

For those using Boon for Apple Pay , they are offering 5% cashback on all transactions, up to a maximum of €12.50 per transaction until Tuesday 30th May.

Seems like free money to me.

https://boonpayment.com/ie/cashback-competition/

Nice, but not sure I want "ice-cold champagne", chilled yes but not something that'll stick to my throat :pac:.

Nice, but not sure I want "ice-cold champagne", chilled yes but not something that'll stick to my throat :pac:.

Well, will be a luxury problem if you win!

Actually in the terms and conditions it says it's just chilled. So you'll be fine.

See Clause 4

Absolutely, I just had to reach under the counter in a coffee shop to pay with my phone.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone else finding a lot of retailers using contactless / Apple Pay completely the wrong way?!

From my experience they seem to have the terminals in awkward places and usually take your card from you so they can 'tap' themselves, bars seems to be the worst for this.

Some nutter in Spar wanted to take my phone so he could tap it on the terminal :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone else finding a lot of retailers using contactless / Apple Pay completely the wrong way?!

From my experience they seem to have the terminals in awkward places and usually take your card from you so they can 'tap' themselves, bars seems to be the worst for this.

Some nutter in Spar wanted to take my phone so he could tap it on the terminal :confused:

I don't know what the guy at spar will do when people want to pay with an Apple Watch. Ask then to take off their watch? :-D

But yeah I would agree with you, in many places the setup is not great at all and the staff is not doing things the right way (even though they often ask for permission, tapping the customer's card/phone without them being able to see the terminal or the amount displayed on it is bad practice).

I find large chains of stores are better on average though (with payment terminals mounted on a stand and facing the customer which I find is the best setup for contactless payments regardless of it being with a card/phone/watch).

• Advertisement

I rarely use my Apple Watch to pay because of this very reason. A lot of places have the terminals in such awkward places.

The advice is a card is never to leave your hand/sight.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't know what the guy at spar will do when people want to pay with an Apple Watch. Ask then to take off their watch? :-D

But yeah I would agree with you, in many places the setup is not great at all and the staff is not doing things the right way (even though they often ask for permission, tapping the customer's card without them being able to see the terminal or the amount displayed on it is bad practice).

I find large chains of stores are better on average though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the days of taking someone's card off them should really be gone by now. If the terminal is behind the counter, fine, but they should take the it out and place it in front of you. But a lot of places seem to have never fully transitioned into accepting card payments and/or staff don't have any common sense.

A few years ago I was buying a cinema ticket in the IFI. I usually paid by cash and was totally confused when the guy took my card, put it in the terminal, let me enter my pin, gave me my ticket, and then proceeded to put the terminal with my card still in it back behind the counter and move on to next customer. I assumed the guy was half asleep so I reached in and removed my card only for him to go nuts at me. It turns out it was one of those old terminals that took ages to go through, but I was totally perplexed by how stupidly the guy handled it.

Drives me mad the position of terminals. I tend to just give up and hand a card over. Then they infuriate me more by asking is it "ok to tap?"

A few years ago I was buying a cinema ticket in the IFI. I usually paid by cash and was totally confused when the guy took my card, put it in the terminal, let me enter my pin, gave me my ticket, and then proceeded to put the terminal with my card still in it back behind the counter and move on to next customer. I assumed the guy was half asleep so I reached in and removed my card only for him to go nuts at me. It turns out it was one of those old terminals that took ages to go through, but I was totally perplexed by how stupidly the guy handled it.

If for some reason the transaction required online balance verification with your bank, this is not that strange as some older terminals couldn't do it wirelessly and had to be returned to their base to complete it.

Not sure that's the explanation for it as the amount for one cinema ticket should most likely be processed offline, but possibly that's what he was waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Anybody else notice that you have to sign a slip when paying with Apple Pay in Topaz stores, even for small payments. Seems odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bob24 wrote: »
    If for some reason the transaction required online balance verification with your bank, this is not that strange as some older terminals couldn't do it wirelessly and had to be returned to their base to complete it.

Not sure that's the explanation for it as the amount for one cinema ticket should most likely be processed offline, but possibly that's what he was waiting for.

I'm pretty sure was just a regular wired terminal. Whatever the technical reasons for the delay, what confused me was that he put it back beneath the counter, gave me my ticket, and moved on to the next customer as if the transaction was finished. Where as if he left the terminal on the counter where I could see it and waited for it to complete I would have understood, or if he had just opened his mouth and told me what he was doing. I worked in retail myself at the time and was used to dealing with chip & pin transactions, but this seemed really boneheaded to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

aon1998 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice that you have to sign a slip when paying with Apple Pay in Topaz stores, even for small payments. Seems odd.

Paid with my watch yesterday & the guy asked me to sign, then said "Oh no, it's ok" & let me go.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

OU812 wrote: »
    Paid with my watch yesterday & the guy asked me to sign, then said "Oh no, it's ok" & let me go.

Kind of defeats the purpose, just as quick to use the card

Glad I avoid topaz like the plague so. They're easily 3c/4c more expensive than the several petrol stations in my vacinity. Having to sign for Apple Pay is another reason not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I can understand bars doing it. Cards slow a busy bar down but him being able to tap the card beside the till is fast.

You can't hand over your iPhone as the staff wont be apple to use Touch ID

Advertisement