Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hate bulky wallets too.

Perhaps The Ridge Wallet is an idea for you.

I got one last Christmas and find it great.

I actually have a travel wallet that's somewhat similar to that at the moment, but softer (and a lot cheaper). Getting cards in and out of is a bit of a pain though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/mpa/Go-Travel-Security-Hideaway-Clip-Pouch-887/B000TGKRJE/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I actually have a travel wallet that's somewhat similar to that at the moment, but softer (and a lot cheaper). Getting cards in and out of is a bit of a pain though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/mpa/Go-Travel-Security-Hideaway-Clip-Pouch-887/B000TGKRJE/

At the risk of sounding like a salesman I think you need to look again, it's not really that similar.

Cards slot in easily, bit of a learning curve to get them out but good. Cash strapped in so won't fall out. RFID resistant casing, so cards can't be skimmed.

I got it for around €50 after searching for promo codes which I think is good value as a decent bulky leather wallet would cost the same or more.

People often comment on it too when I use it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't use it a whole pile to be honest. I just get tired of places that have the terminals in awkward places, or places that don't have working contactless terminals, or places that have contactless terminals that don't work with Apple pay (these are the worst because you assume it's going to work and then have to dig out your card).

Trying to get it to work when it's busy and you just know everyone behind you in the queue thinks you are a twat. Quicker to just stick with the card most of the time until adoption of this is implemented properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

No, Supervalu scanners are awful. None of them can scan phones.

I have been in many Supervalus that still don't do contactless payments so no Apple Pay there either.

I've been using ApplePay in Oranmore SuperValu for weeks without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

fbradyirl wrote: »

I think the poster was referring to scanning the barcode for the loyalty card as displayed on the phone's screen rather than the physical card itself.

But yes no probably with Apple Pay at the Supervalue I go to.

• Advertisement

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Bob24 wrote: »
    I think the poster was referring to scanning the barcode for the loyalty card as displayed on the phone's screen rather than the physical card itself.

But yes no probably with Apple Pay at the Supervalue I go to.

No, I was referring to Apple Pay.

Cannot be used in SV in Bray or Dun Laoghaire as they don't accept contactless payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I get asked in centra stores sometimes for a signature but there does be no line on the reciept, Once the lady said ill need to get your signature but she looked at the recipet and she said "ohhh its ok" as there was no line...It came up on her screen asking for a signature, I think its the software on some of the CBE tills or something like that are not fully updated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

No, I was referring to Apple Pay.

Cannot be used in SV in Bray or Dun Laoghaire as they don't accept contactless payments.

Ok my mistake. Only SV I go to once in a while is one on Talbot Street and it works no problem.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Ok my mistake. Only SV I go to once in a while is one on Talbot Street and it works no problem.

Well it's all down to individual shops as they are a franchise AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Apple Pay is launching on AIB today :)

https://aib.ie/ways-to-bank/apple-pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Apple Pay is launching on AIB today :)

https://aib.ie/ways-to-bank/apple-pay

Cool. Was using my UB debit card but credit card is with AiB so thus is better.

Still frustrating that some retailers like dunnes are imposing a €30 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Still frustrating that some retailers like dunnes are imposing a €30 limit.

Does ApplePay have a different limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ArthurG wrote: »

If the terminal is set up properly there's no limit for Apple Pay, well there's a limit but it's the same limit that's in use for chip and pin and that varies from bank to bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

ArthurG wrote: »

All depends on the retailer which is annoying as you need to bring your card as backup just in case the €30 limit is in place. E.g. Dunnes is 30, Aldi has no limit.

Even in places with no limit the staff often try and stop you tapping the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Even in places with no limit the staff often try and stop you tapping the phone.

The amount of times I've had to explain to a cashier that Apple Pay doesn't have the €30 limit. Most of the time they still wait on you to take out the plastic card.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Anyone know if Apple Pay works in Tesco? It's not mentioned on the Apple Pay page: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201239

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've used it in Tesco before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

makoten wrote: »
    Anyone know if Apple Pay works in Tesco? It's not mentioned on the Apple Pay page: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201239

Anywhere that accepts contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Just wondering if you have been able to add the AIB credit card? Mine keeps saying "verification is not available please try again later". My AIB debit card is added successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

^ was able to add my AIB credit card no problem

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    ^ was able to add my AIB credit card no problem

I suspect it is that my almost out of date card is not "contactless enabled".

Idleater wrote: »
    Shouldn't make a difference. All Apple need are the card details.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Shouldn't make a difference. All Apple need are the card details.
    The card needs to be enabled for apple pay on the bank side too.

EDIT add an example:

AIB consumer credit/debit work with Apple Pay, AIB Business Debit does too, but Business credit does not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Idleater wrote: »

No credit cards (as far as I'm aware) are contactless

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Yes AIB credit cards are now contactless enabled have been for a few months now

I have my contactless credit card from AIB a couple of months now

Call 01-6685500 Credit Card Services to request a contactless credit card

I've a KBC credit card that's contactless and my partner has a Ulster Bank ROI credit card that's also contactless. There's really no difference between debit or credit cards except where the funds actually lie.

The card needs to be enabled for apple pay on the bank side too.
    Well yess they do need to go through that process. I'm saying the physical capabilities of the card make no difference to Apple.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well yess they do need to go through that process. I'm saying the physical capabilities of the card make no difference to Apple.
    And all I'm saying is there another reason why their card might not have enrolled. Whilst Apple like to tout that this process is completely pain and issue free, there's often little gotchas.

When Apple add a card they require these things:

1 .Card number and cvv2
    2. Card enrolled at the bank side
    3. One time use token delivered via SMS to verify the card

So it's slightly more info than just the card details.

The more you know about these things the better, no?

And all I'm saying is there another reason why their card might not have enrolled.
    Ah I getcha.

• Advertisement

And all I'm saying is there another reason why their card might not have enrolled. Whilst Apple like to tout that this process is completely pain and issue free, there's often little gotchas.

When Apple add a card they require these things:

1 .Card number and cvv2
    2. Card enrolled at the bank side
    3. One time use token delivered via SMS to verify the card

So it's slightly more info than just the card details.

The more you know about these things the better, no?

So went for a stroll and asked in a branch. Yes, you need a "contactless enabled" credit card. I got the impression from the advisor's frown that my card product was quite old as she didn't recognise it.

I'm now rethinking whether I should actually upgrade it :-)

Advertisement