Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Idleater wrote: »
    So went for a stroll and asked in a branch. Yes, you need a "contactless enabled" credit card. I got the impression from the advisor's frown that my card product was quite old as she didn't recognise it.

I'm now rethinking whether I should actually upgrade it :-)

Check the interest rate on your card vs the one they're currently offering

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

So went for a stroll and asked in a branch. Yes, you need a "contactless enabled" credit card. I got the impression from the advisor's frown that my card product was quite old as she didn't recognise it.

What card do you have attach pic blanking out or finger over your details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

So does Apple Pay work where ever contactless is accepted or is there a special terminal for Apply Pay? AIB Customer so new to apple pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So does Apple Pay work where ever contactless is accepted or is there a special terminal for Apply Pay? AIB Customer so new to apple pay :)

where ever contactless is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bank of Ireland is really pretty bad with new ways of banking. I can understand PTSB is being run on the cheap and is a smaller entity so it is not their priority. But with AIB now on board, BOI lagging behind it terms of Apple Pay (and Android Pay) coupled with their fairly poor mobile banking app is really getting embarrassing (especially considering they are far from being the cheapest in terms of banking fees).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

My AIB credit card is light blue in colour and is not equipped for contactless payments (which is to say, I can't tap the card to pay). Assuming that it's this ability to tap the card that is being referred to as "contactless enabled", what you were told is rubbish, as my card enrolled just fine in Apple Pay and I've been able to use it twice so far, once in Tesco by physically tapping my watch and once in the RyanAir app to purchase flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mackerski wrote: »
    what you were told is rubbish, as my card enrolled

Interesting. Mine is light blue issued 2016.

I wonder what the issue is in that case. I'm really only half interested as my debit card works fine. It's really just curiosity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Contactless is not a requirement for Apple Pay, you've been spun lies by AIB representative (shock, horror). Look at the USA, they're 15 years behind in tech on cards (only started rolling out chip and signature, yes chip and signature not even chip and pin in 2015) but yet there's millions of their cards in Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Bob24 wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland is really pretty bad with new ways of banking. I can understand PTSB is being run on the cheap and is a smaller entity so it is it their priority. But with AIB now on board, BOI lagging behind it terms of Apple Pay (and Android Pay) coupled with their fairly poor mobile banking app is really getting embarrassing (especially considering they are far from being the cheapest in terms of banking fees).

BofI internal IT is a complete cluster fu*k, compared to even AIB they are on steam powered systems

They have struggled in recent years with all forms of " new" IT like tablets etc

( I mean have you ever used business banking online, its like software from the 70s )

BoatMad wrote: »
    BofI internal IT is a complete cluster fu*k, compared to even AIB they are on steam powered systems

They have struggled in recent years with all forms of " new" IT like tablets etc

( I mean have you ever used business banking online, its like software from the 70s )

Yep I don't know why it took me so long but I finally got to realise a few months ago that waiting for them to address the issues was pointless, and closed all my accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Used this for the first time yesterday. I'm with AIB and my card is donkeys years old, there's no contactless on it. Used it in applegreen and subway no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Used this for the first time yesterday. I'm with AIB and my card is donkeys years old, there's no contactless on it. Used it in applegreen and subway no problems at all.

This is class. I even rang the credit card centre and they said the same thing to me about card needed to be contactless for it to work. Apparently everyone will be updated to a "new" card by the end of this year. Still doesn't verify for me.

Having said that, I used my phone to pay twice in the space of an hour today (so the novelty has worn off) and I've now decided not to upgrade my card and see if it starts working when they issue my "contactless" card later in the year.

if ever there was an appropriate smily: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is class. I even rang the credit card centre and they said the same thing to me about card needed to be contactless for it to work. Apparently everyone will be updated to a "new" card by the end of this year. Still doesn't verify for me.

Having said that, I used my phone to pay twice in the space of an hour today (so the novelty has worn off) and I've now decided not to upgrade my card and see if it starts working when they issue my "contactless" card later in the year.

if ever there was an appropriate smily: :rolleyes:

Having said that, my card was originally contactless...it just stopped working after a few weeks. That was maybe 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

https://www.apple.com/ie/apple-pay/

Info direct from apple, while they say that Apple Pay works with ANY contactless terminal, there seems to be a contradiction further down the page in the "get your business ready" for Apple Pay section where they tell businesses to contact their merchant services provider to enable Apple Pay

ukoda wrote: »
    https://www.apple.com/ie/apple-pay/

Info direct from apple, while they say that Apple Pay works with ANY contactless terminal, there seems to be a contradiction further down the page in the "get your business ready" for Apple Pay section where they tell businesses to contact their merchant services provider to enable Apple Pay

Technically saying ANY is incorrect as not all contactless terminals support token based payments. But in practice you are probably looking at 95 to 99% acceptance so it will work most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Used it for the first time today in Aldi. Double tap home button from locked. Boom. Instant, and a receipt in the wallet. Very slick indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

I have been using it with KBC for the last few months but tried out my AIB card yesterday, it seems to be a little faster? or is it just me?

It can be if the terminal was an AIB provided terminal. KBC don't provide terminals to their merchant customers but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I've had to sign in a Topaz after using Apple Pay. Why would that be? Seems to defeat the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

AidenL wrote: »
    I've had to sign in a Topaz after using Apple Pay. Why would that be? Seems to defeat the purpose.

Happens to me in Topaz all the time even when just tapping the card itself. Seems to be an enforced policy. Renders the facility useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

AidenL wrote: »

I actually contacted Topaz about this because it is extremely annoying. This is what they said.

Hi XXX, Apple Pay hasn't officially launched with Topaz so our till system allows you to scan hasn't fully integrated this into our till system hence the requirement for signature. Sites are aware of this. Over the coming weeks we will be working to update our system to allow the use of Apple Pay officially. Many thanks

aon1998 wrote: »
    I actually contacted Topaz about this because it is extremely annoying. This is what they said.

Hi XXX, Apple Pay hasn't officially launched with Topaz so our till system allows you to scan hasn't fully integrated this into our till system hence the requirement for signature. Sites are aware of this. Over the coming weeks we will be working to update our system to allow the use of Apple Pay officially. Many thanks

What an absolute **** response. Signature? What year is this? Surprised they didn't take your phone and run it through a carbon copy cloner.

To juxtapose this spent €88 in M&S today and paid with Apple Pay with no issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What an absolute **** response. Signature? What year is this? Surprised they didn't take your phone and run it through a carbon copy cloner.

To juxtapose this spent €88 in M&S today and paid with Apple Pay with no issues whatsoever

Jesus man. Relax- just use your effing debit card.

#firstworldproblems

#firstworldproblems

Because it is a first world problem does't mean the poster was wrong in calling the answers of Topaz b******t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Bob24 wrote: »
    Because it is a first world problem does't mean the poster was wrong in calling the answers of Topaz b******t.

But it's not really a BS answer. They've acknowledged that their terminals isn't set up for Apple Pay. And they've outlined a timescale when they'll have it rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zhane wrote: »
    But it's not really a BS answer. They've acknowledged that their terminals isn't set up for Apple Pay. And they've outlined a timescale when they'll have it rectified.

Of course it’s BS. What till system requires a signature.
    Does this till system check and authentucate the signature?

What does a signature achieve?

Why do their tills need this? How come I can pay everywhere else with a contactless facility but not in Topaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Does anyone else feel terror when Apple Pay doesn't work ? 😀

I don't mind with a credit card but if in a queue I can almost feel the eyes rolling behind me !

#firstworldproblems

Great response to a thread about Apple Pay.

I've used a debit card with a chip and pin for close to 15 years, never had to sign once using that (except in the states but that's a whole different kettle) so why should we go backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

They have come back and said they know there is an issue and they are going to resolve it , simple as lads.

Worse if they didn't come back or said it wasent being resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

With the rumoured face recognition coming in will be interesting using Apple pay

Advertisement