Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Exactly just look at this list

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204916

there's 1620 banks on that list for the US. Yet their card machine rollout is abysmal.

And here we can only get two banks (seemingly purely on Android Pay rollout) interested.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I am pretty sure there are banks that only have one single branch. Very different to here.

Even cheques are still pretty widespread there among consumers (for things like paying rent IIRC). There are people who still get paid with a cheque! :eek:

Work colleagues in the U.S. pay their electricity with checks (cheques), they can't understand when I say don't have to do anything to pay a bill :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I don't think you realise the sheer scale of the US market. it takes years to move tech over. I'm over in the states every 8 weeks or so and the amount of card readers that can't take a chip and pin payment let alone a contactless payment is staggering.

The deadline was October 1st 2015 to move to EMV (Chip and pin) cards, many many many retailers didn't even hit this deadline, instead went with Chip and signature, which in reality it's no better than just swiping.

Of course I realise the scale of the US market. It's very similar to the scale and far less complex than the European market which managed to start the rollout of chip and pin 24 years ago in France in 1992!! Getting to the stage it was standardised as EMV and rolled out took the best part of 20 years.

European banking is just as fragmented (possibly more so) with roughly 9076 banks, most of which issue cards in the European Union. A percentage of them aren't in the Eurozone so use different currencies. There were also 27+ different national transactional systems and a ton of local debit cards when EMV came into being. Things like SEPA are only very recent.

The US used the "scale" argument too much as an excuse. It should be easier to roll out s technology change in a single, large, has inside market than in a highly complicated and fragmented one like Europe.

Chip and PIN seemed to suffer from not made here syndrome in the united states and US banks clearly don't care very much about fraud losses as they're passing them on in charges somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

awec wrote: »
    US is very different to here, they have loads of very small banks. They won't change any time soon.

I've never seen a chip and pin in the US. The most advanced thing I have seen is those digital signature machines.
    They usually have chip and pin built in at the bottom of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd be surprised if it ever came to Ireland. Bedside Siri and Apple Music what else have we gotten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

10 years of iphone and still no visual voicemail!

eeloe wrote: »

That's a networks thinking it's not worth spending money on issue rather than an Apple issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

shanec1928 wrote: »
    They usually have chip and pin built in at the bottom of them

It's never used over there. It's signatures and swipes.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »

That's a slightly different beast though. That required the telcos to buy physical hardware, test it, install it and release a carrier file. The number of people with iPhones that use voicemail vs the high cost of implementation meant it was never worth it.

Whereas Apple Pay is purely a software solution and in comparison isn't as difficult to set up as a bank. Also banks are finically realising (unlike telcos) they need to modernise themselves. Also we've got a high rate of contactless infrastructure already. It should just be a flick of a switch :(

That's a slightly different beast though. That required the telcos to buy physical hardware, test it, install it and release a carrier file. The number of people with iPhones that use voicemail vs the high cost of implementation meant it was never worth it.

Whereas Apple Pay is purely a software solution and in comparison isn't as difficult to set up as a bank. Also banks are finically realising (unlike telcos) they need to modernise themselves. Also we've got a high rate of contactless infrastructure already. It should just be a flick of a switch :(

Our banks dragged their heels because they didn't want to pay apple what they were asking per transaction. Unless that's changed it won't be coming soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There an app that did it perfectly, I just can't remember the name of it. Started off free, and the.a paid version, AFAIR. couldn't use it with Meteor/Eir because they were too thick to make a small change in their settings that everyone else could do. Very handy being able to pick through the voicemails.

I've just turned voicemail off:

If it was someone I know, they show up as a miss call.
    If it was someone who I don't, if it's important enough they'll call back.

Life is too short for antiquated technology (voice mail) no matter how much you tart it up (visual voice mail).

I used visual voice mail when I lived in the States for a while, what I noticed was I was just able to clear the queue of spammers and cold called voice mails quicker. Turning it off meant I didn't have to clear the queue to get rid of the badge :pac:

Does anyone ever check voicemail anymore anyway?!

I have an outgoing message that asks people to send me a text. It's rare that I would actually check it. I'm more likely to just phone a missed call back without checking messages at all.

Hullomail does visual visual voicemail via an app for iOS or Android.

I can't see the networks really being all that bothered spending money on voicemail these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

In addition to the aforementioned Visual Voicemail and Apple Pay...
    • TV shows (iTunes Store)
    • New TV App
    • Single sign-on for Apple TV
    • Apple News

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    In addition to the aforementioned Visual Voicemail and Apple Pay...
    • TV shows (iTunes Store)
    • New TV App
    • Single sign-on for Apple TV
    • Apple News

In fairness, the TV app and the single sign-on are less than a few days old.

The lack of iTunes TV shows really annoys me. I don't know what's holding this back considering Netflix and MS have tv shows. Anyone have any insights?

The lack of iTunes TV shows really annoys me. I don't know what's holding this back considering Netflix and MS have tv shows. Anyone have any insights?

The way I see it. Ireland is small fry and not worth Apples efforts. We get all the low hanging fruit. But that's about it. How many years did it take Irish Siri to arrive? We don't even have Siri for the Apple TV?

I don't see us getting Apple Pay if even for a second the Irish banks decide to play hard ball with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Keep any eye on the likes of Revolut for Apple Pay - that's what I'm going to do as soon as they support it:
    https://community.revolut.com/t/apple-pay-support/181/67

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Netflix in Ireland is a pale comparison to the US version, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mad muffin wrote: »
    The way I see it. Ireland is small fry and not worth Apples efforts. We get all the low hanging fruit. But that's about it. How many years did it take Irish Siri to arrive? We don't even have Siri for the Apple TV?

I don't see us getting Apple Pay if even for a second the Irish banks decide to play hard ball with Apple.

This old chestnut.

Apple are not ignoring us, as we saw with the iPhone 7 and Ireland among the tier 1 countries.

Apple Pay is also in New Zealand, smaller than Ireland so why is it there?

murpho999 wrote: »
    This old chestnut.

Apple are not ignoring us, as we saw with the iPhone 7 and Ireland among the tier 1 countries.

Apple Pay is also in New Zealand, smaller than Ireland so why is it there?

That's because it required no real effort on Apples part. If it was going to be too difficult to produce enough iPhones, Ireland would not have been in tier 1.

As regards to Apple Pay in New Zealand. Again, it probably didn't require as much effort to roll out, as it most likely is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That's because it required no real effort on Apples part. If it was going to be too difficult to produce enough iPhones, Ireland would not have been in tier 1.

As regards to Apple Pay in New Zealand. Again, it probably didn't require as much effort to roll out, as it most likely is in Ireland.

What makes Ireland diffcult for Apple to roll out Apple Pay? Infrastructure/terminals are there. Its enthusiasm from banks which is the problem.

I think if Apple sees that a major bank doesnt seem like going for it, theyre not going to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So complete guessing from you and nothing based on fact. Apple Pay will come here, just a matter of time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So complete guessing from you and nothing based on fact. Apple Pay will come here, just a matter of time.

I could say the same about your statement. Unless you know something I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Given that RBS has enabled Apple Pay for its cards in the UK, it would seem logical that Ulster Bank might be first out of the traps here. Although I know their respective systems are not homogenous which is typical of the IT underspend for which they got caught out badly on a few years back.

Once one of the major banks here launches, the others won't be too far behind particularly if feedback from their customers starts demanding it.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Given that RBS has enabled Apple Pay for its cards in the UK, it would seem logical that Ulster Bank might be first out of the traps here. Although I know their respective systems are not homogenous which is typical of the IT underspend for which they got caught out badly on a few years back.

Once one of the major banks here launches, the others won't be too far behind particularly if feedback from their customers starts demanding it.

That's if Apple allow it to launch here with just one major bank. Also just because RBS has it in the UK doesn't mean their subsidiary here will too, they act completely as separate entities just like Vodafone IE / UK.

Ireland is a big enough market for Apple. 50% of the smart phones here are Apple's, we have an established infrastructure for Apple Pay and the only thing that's holding it back is the banks.

miralize wrote: »
    What makes Ireland diffcult for Apple to roll out Apple Pay? Infrastructure/terminals are there. Its enthusiasm from banks which is the problem.

I think if Apple sees that a major bank doesnt seem like going for it, theyre not going to bother.

There are no technical or logistical issues in Ireland, that I can assure you. Apple Pay will work over the same NFC infrastructure as Visa / MC Contactless and it's pretty clear that Android Pay is working fine on it already.

Ireland actually has huge rollout of NFC and one of the highest penetrations of cards issued per capita as the banks by default seem to issue NFC enabled Visa Debit.

It's just a matter of Apple and the big 4 banks coming to a mutually acceptable agreement and that will all be about fees and % and nothing to do with technology.

The fact that AIB in particular has launched Android Pay will likely be the catalyst to get it all rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nikita

I was in Woodies in Carickmines in Dublin today and the card terminal said "Apple Pay" on the screen.

I asked about it and was told that "they're working on it but it's not working properly yet".

This person might not be highly informed or authorative though.

• Advertisement

nikita wrote: »
    I was in Woodies in Carickmines in Dublin today and the card terminal said "Apple Pay" on the screen.

I asked about it and was told that "they're working on it but it's not working properly yet".

This person might not be highly informed or authorative though.

That's because people in the north can use Apple pay so a lot of machines are being updated to support it.

Advertisement