Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's because people in the north can use Apple pay so a lot of machines are being updated to support it.

Makes no sense to me as Woodies don't operate in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's just because the software on the POS equipment supports Apple Pay already.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

murpho999 wrote: »
    Makes no sense to me as Woodies don't operate in the North.

Doesn't matter about that the company that supplies their POS machines operate in the north. They aren't going to update Northen Ireland and leave the update for the Republic, they'll just push the update to everyone using their machines.

Sure dealz have Apple Pay symbols on their machines too, they don't operate in North either. I don't know if Poundland do but either way it's all about the type of machine used.

It's nothing to do with the North vs the Republic.

You can pay with ApplePay here you just can't activate it with any Irish bank cards yet as none of them have implemented it yet. Foreign Apple Pay enabled devices work without any issues at least to the €30 contactless limit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

tallpaul wrote: »
    Given that RBS has enabled Apple Pay for its cards in the UK, it would seem logical that Ulster Bank might be first out of the traps here. Although I know their respective systems are not homogenous which is typical of the IT underspend for which they got caught out badly on a few years back.

Once one of the major banks here launches, the others won't be too far behind particularly if feedback from their customers starts demanding it.

Ulster Bank still don't give out contactless debit cards so I doubt they'd be the first to hop onto Apple Pay.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Ulster Bank still don't give out contactless debit cards so I doubt they'd be the first to hop onto Apple Pay.

They do now.
    So do PTSB.

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/current-accounts/contactless-debit-cards.html

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/help-and-support/help-with-banking/product-support/contactless-support/contactless-visa-debit-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

All Irish banks do now. Besides that contactless isn't a prerequisite for Apple Pay I believe? The phone has NFC built in so it's not relevant whether your card does.

All Irish banks do now. Besides that contactless isn't a prerequisite for Apple Pay I believe? The phone has NFC built in so it's not relevant whether your card does.

I know that, but until recently Ulster Bank were pretty far behind the curve.

I know that, but until recently Ulster Bank were pretty far behind the curve.

They've pulled their socks up in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Just read on an Apple news website 9to5mac that Apple Pay is reportedly launching in Ireland today/tomorrow (March 7th). The article mentions that Ulster Bank and KBC will be supported, no information on whether BOI and AIB will supported from the get go. I couldn't find any mention of it on any other news sites so it could be a false alarm.

Here is the link to the article: https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/06/apple-pay-ireland-launch/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

"A spokesman for Permanent TSB said that the bank’s “focus” is on other things at present."

Boo, they market themselves as the young and thrifty bank, I'd prefer Apple pay than whatever they're trying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I am surprise Bank Of Ireland are not launch bank of the Apple Pay, would thought that because they were so quiet with the Android Pay they were making a exclusive with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Who saw that coming!? Took me 1 minute to set up. If you have an UB card just open your wallet app, follow the simple steps, they text you a code, verify with that and away you go.

To add it to Apple Watch, open the watch app then scroll down to wallet and follow the same steps.

For iPad (online shopping). Open settings and scroll down to wallet and follow same steps. Each time you'll be texted a new verification code.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It was only a matter of time after android pay launched. Even if Ireland is a small market for Apple features, it must have hurt that android users got something before them.

Added my Kbc cards there. Had to change region to U.K. As the wallet app hadn't the UI to add the cards yet (probably hadn't phoned home in a while). Switch back and it's all good

Also brace yourselves. Angry BOI customers incoming who are deluded that their bank is modern :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

It was only a matter of time after android pay launched. Even if Ireland is a small market for Apple features, it must have hurt that android users got something before them.

I must say I'd given up hope, thought we'd be way down the line and we're looking at years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

hopefully aib get their act together or else ill be closing my account

Trying to add my ulster bank card but the verification text never arrives. :(

shanec1928 wrote: »
    hopefully aib get their act together or else ill be closing my account

They won't, I moved to KBC last year as AIB criteria for free banking was ridiculous (€2500 in current account at all times). KBC's was much more doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

They won't, I moved to KBC last year as AIB criteria for free banking was ridiculous (€2500 in current account at all times). KBC's was much more doable.
    have been milking free banking via a student account 5 years later they are non the wiser.

• Advertisement

I did that too, funnily enough it lasted about five years until they caught on to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

it took about 5 minutes for mine and i've received it 3 times since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

it took about 5 minutes for mine and i've received it 3 times since!!

Was waiting for a while for the code then it came through twice for all the follow up messages. All set up now though quick and easy.

Yea same, took a while but eventually came.

How do you use Apple Pay on the phone and watch so? Do i just hold the phone over the terminal? Does it have to be unlocked? What about the watch?

How do you use Apple Pay on the phone and watch so? Do i just hold the phone over the terminal? Does it have to be unlocked? What about the watch?

When the phone is locked, double press the home button. It'll bring up the Apple Pay UI. If it's unlocked but near a terminal it'll switch over.

On the watch as long as it's got skin contact or unlocked double press the "friends" button. It'll bring up Apple Pay UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

On the watch you double press the button on the side (not the crown).

On the phone while locked quickly double press the home button.

Edit: What he said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Been using Apple Pay for 8-10 months in NI. While it's a nice novelty for a while, you'd get over it. I end up just using contactless 95% of the time!

Certainly wouldn't go changing bank over it - unless there's other good reason!

Oh you need to go into settings and then waller and Apple Pay and allow access when locked. Otherwise double press on home butting doesn't work on the phone. However this may be a setting I had turned off and Apple kept when I used boon

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

I had the same problem but it does come through. Apparently (not surprisingly) there's a huge demand for codes this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

onrail wrote: »
    Been using Apple Pay for 8-10 months in NI. While it's a nice novelty for a while, you'd get over it. I end up just using contactless 95% of the time!

Certainly wouldn't go changing bank over it - unless there's other good reason!

Stopped using it last month after being a regular user for a few months and I miss it (I we t for a bank which doesn't support it).

It's not life changing but things like just having to hover my arm over the payment terminal everyday at the work canteen (rather than taking out my wallet and card) are nice to haves. Also in some cases I think the transaction processing time is faster than regular contactless, and another nice think is that you can pay larger amounts due to enhanced security.

Advertisement