Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I see the article mentions that 'Boon' is also accepted. Is this similar to Revolut?

Are there any fees involved?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yay! And to think I was considering ditching UB.

Setup was quick and painless. Card was already on file. Just entered security code, then verification code, and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Hey, trying to get Apple Pay, phone updated, all apps updated, iPhone 7+ and I've Ulster bank cards. Still can't see how to add cards on the phone through wallet or anything! How ya do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Open the wallet app and it should give you an option to add a credit/debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Open the wallet app and it should give you an option to add a credit/debit card.

It's not there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Turn it off and on again, the solution to all life's problems, or try switching the phones region to somewhere else and back to Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just did it there in five minutes. Really straightforward:

On iPhone
    1) Open Wallet app on iPhone
    2) Tap '+' or add new card.
    3) Use iPhone camera to read card; ensure numbers and name are correct. My name was incorrect the first time.
    4) Add expiry and CVV and opt for text verification. My text came within 30 seconds. Input code and card is added to wallet.
    5) Double tap home button and other options were already selected for me when I opened the Wallet settings.

To install on Watch
    1) Wait a few minutes for Apple Pay to install on the Wallet app. When I went in initially nothing happened.
    2) Go to the Watch app on iPhone and then Wallet.
    2) Add card details as above
    3) Opt for text verification. Again the text came within 30 seconds.
    4) Enter code and complete setup. You will then get a series of confirmations from Apple.

I'm sooooo excited about this, it's bizarre!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Will Apple Pay work at any contactless terminal or does it have to be Apple Pay enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

tallpaul wrote: »
    Just did it there in five minutes. Really straightforward:

On iPhone
    1) Open Wallet app on iPhone
    2) Tap '+' or add new card.
    3) Use iPhone camera to read card; ensure numbers and name are correct. My name was incorrect the first time.
    4) Add expiry and CVV and opt for text verification. My text came within 30 seconds. Input code and card is added to wallet.
    5) Double tap home button and other options were already selected for me when I opened the Wallet settings.

To install on Watch
    1) Wait a few minutes for Apple Pay to install on the Wallet app. When I went in initially nothing happened.
    2) Go to the Watch app on iPhone and then Wallet.
    2) Add card details as above
    3) Opt for text verification. Again the text came within 30 seconds.
    4) Enter code and complete setup. You will then get a series of confirmations from Apple.

I'm sooooo excited about this, it's bizarre!

It's a nice feature to have, you'll enjoy it if you make regular small payments at places which support contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It should be every contactless terminal, some do have issues though. But I've never come across any.

• Advertisement

Will Apple Pay work at any contactless terminal or does it have to be Apple Pay enabled?

The terminal needs to support token-based payments. Any new terminal deployed today will support it, and most older ones can be software updated. I have used Apple Pay for a few months in Dublin via a French bank, and rarely cam across terminals which refused payment (but it did happen a few times for exemple at a "Fresh" grocery shop where Apple Pay was declined but regular contactless with my physical card worked).

I bigger problem I find are small businesses or coffee shops who have their card terminal kind of hidden behind a counter making it not too practical to bring your phone or watch next to it without asking them to move the terminal or handing them your device to validate the payment on your behalf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Billydoc wrote: »
    It's not there!!

Just went through this with the Mrs.

To kick start the process:

Settings -> Safari -> Autofill ->Saved Credit Cards

Add your KBC/UB Card and you should then see the prompt in wallet.

Looking forward to trying this out. I still have a non-contactless UB debit card and was just thinking the other day about requesting a contactless. But no need now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

Loaded card at 5:50 this morning. Now I am stuck at work. Can't wait to try it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Bob24 wrote: »
    The terminal needs to support token-based payments. Any new terminal deployed today will support it, and most older ones can be software updated. I have used Apple Pay for a few months in Dublin via a French bank, and rarely cam across terminals which refused payment (but it did happen a few times for exemple at a "Fresh" grocery shop which where Apple Pay was declined but regular contactless with my physical card worked).

I bigger problem I find are small businesses or coffee shops who have their card terminal kind of hidden behind a counter making it not too practical to bring your phone or watch next to it without asking them to move the terminal or handing them your device to validate the payment on your behalf.

Same here. I used it for a month this year with a foreign account and it worked almost everywhere, even car park machines. I only failed in a couple of shops where it looked like their contactless wouldn't activate over €30. In most places it worked fine for any amount once I convinced the sales person to let me try. I think a few were convinced I'd scammed them, even after the transaction was confirmed.

I think a few were convinced I'd scammed them, even after the transaction was confirmed.

I also got a few strange looks especially paying with the watch :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

is there a eur30 limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

All setup both on iPhone & Watch. Will no doubt use at some stage today.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    is there a eur30 limit?

As long as the payment terminal is properly setup there is no limit (unless Irish banks have decided to apply their own, but I don't think I saw them mentioning that).

As long as the payment terminal is properly setup there is no limit (unless Irish banks have decided to apply their own, but I don't think I saw them mentioning that).
    Majority of terminals won't be set up properly though.

• Advertisement

I thought the article in the independent said same limits as other contactless.

Edit: from the indo: "The purchasing limits for Apple Pay are identical to those of contactless Visa and Mastercard cards. Per-transaction limits vary according to individual retailers. There will be no additional charge to using the phone as a payment method."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It might be worth assembling a wiki of various Irish retailers' contactless/Apple Pay limits. I would assume that supermarkets might have higher limits as grocery shopping totals would be very often above €30?

According to the Irish Times, the limits are up to the retailer and how the terminal is set up.
    Although the Apple Pay service does not impose a limit on how much customers can spend in a transaction – and nor do the banks – retailers can choose to enforce the €30 contactless limit in place for contactless cards. Some older terminals may also have a limit in place.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-pay-contactless-service-launches-in-ireland-1.3000151

I assume any retailer that officially supports Apple Pay and has the logo won't have any limits.

According to the Irish Times, the limits are up to the retailer and how the terminal is set up.

This kind of confusion is going to be a real hurdle to adoption.

Majority of terminals won't be set up properly though.

Quite possibly, especially at small businesses. But give it a few years and once everyone is used to it things will become smoother.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-pay-contactless-service-launches-in-ireland-1.3000151

I assume any retailer that officially supports Apple Pay and has the logo won't have any limits.

Technically, it would be silly for retailers to enforce a 30 euros limit as in practice Apple Pay is at least as safe as chip and pin cards if not safer, for which there is no limit.

But I assume at least initially some of them will think in the lines of: contactless -> unsafe -> must impose a limit.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    This kind of confusion is going to be a real hurdle to adoption.

I think it will be fine. Adoption is going to be slow anyway just because retailers won't advertise it or fail to train their staff on its usage. We're still starting from a better position than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Time to move bank...BOI isn't supporting Apple Pay or Android and also declined to comment on the new Apple Pay. They're still living in the stone age should have moved ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Oh you need to go into settings and then waller and Apple Pay and allow access when locked. Otherwise double press on home butting doesn't work on the phone. However this may be a setting I had turned off and Apple kept when I used boon

what is boon like to use?

Narcissus wrote: »
    what is boon like to use?
    Best to read this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057706388

you can disregard the creation of a French AppleID etc. Boon is now available on the Irish App Store.

• Advertisement

neonman wrote: »
    Time to move bank...BOI isn't supporting Apple Pay or Android and also declined to comment on the new Apple Pay. They're still living in the stone age should have moved ages ago.

Not to mention their not so great app and online banking, as well as the fact that their current account fee structure is not very competitive.

I am in the process of closing my account with them and I would only recommend them to people who need to deposits large amounts in a saving accounts as financially they seem to be the strongest and safest bank in Ireland. But for everyday banking I really don't see any benefit their offering compared to most of the competition.

Advertisement