Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

neonman wrote: »
    Time to move bank...BOI isn't supporting Apple Pay or Android and also declined to comment on the new Apple Pay. They're still living in the stone age should have moved ages ago.

I jumped ship years ago to Ulster Bank. I pay my mortgage, all household bills and put the kid's pocket money to the accounts via their app for iPad and iPhone. Now with this it's just raised its own bar. You wont look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

naasrd wrote: »
    I jumped ship years ago to Ulster Bank. I pay my mortgage, all household bills and put the kid's pocket money to the accounts via their app for iPad and iPhone. Now with this it's just raised its own bar. You wont look back.

Agreed. Notwithstanding their IT meltdown a number of years ago, their online banking and apps are second to none. The iPhone and the iPad app in particular are really very, very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Deedsie wrote: »
    Will leap card release a top up app for iOS now?

No, not possible currently. Third party developers don't have access to the iPhone's NFC functionality. Maybe in future if Apple open up the API.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Deedsie wrote: »
    Will leap card release a top up app for iOS now?

I think if we are talking instant top-ups, the phone would need to communicated directly with the Leap Card via its radio chip, which Apple clearly won't allow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Aye, BOI have zero intention of releasing this, is it actually going to be worthwhile moving banks just to get Apple Pay tho?

As much as i want it, i can't bear the hardship of switching banks! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I set up Boon with an AIB Visa card, I have free banking on my current account anyway so if I can workaround this way, I'll be happy with AIB till they come on board directly - if ever..........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just add auto top-up to your leap card? Jesus I wouldn't leave an iPhone just so I can top up a leap card. If leap card were smart they would have copied the Oyster system in London, your contactless card is your leap card and thus Apple Pay works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Is this an iPhone 7 only deal like Japan? I have an iPhone 6 and for the life of me I cannot get the wallet app to allow me to add a debit/credit card. I have turned it on and off several times and temporarily changed region and still I only get the option to add a passes!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

pnott wrote: »
    Is this an iPhone 7 only deal like Japan? I have an iPhone 6 and for the life of me I cannot get the wallet app to allow me to add a debit/credit card. I have turned it on and off several times and temporarily changed region and still I only get the option to add a passes!

I've added it on my 6+ successfully. IOS 10.2.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Boon Vs Revolut. I have the latter, is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to Boon? Does anyone have much experience with them? I've gotten on fairly well with Revolut in general. They've had some processing issues, where their servers have gone down at least 4 times in the past 6-9 months, but overall, I'd say I'm happy with them.

PTSB have no plans for this either. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

AidenL wrote: »
    I've added it on my 6+ successfully. IOS 10.2.1

I have it on my phone 6,It came up for me but unsure if i had to tap on "+" sign to add it in wallet (beside passes on the right).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You can set up a Leap card to top-up automatically!! Sure as hell wouldn't leave Apple just for that!

https://about.leapcard.ie/autotop-up

tallpaul wrote: »
    You can set up a Leap card to top-up automatically!! Sure as hell wouldn't leave Apple just for that!

https://about.leapcard.ie/autotop-up

Also has anyone seen the android app topup app in action? Any time saved is eaten up by a piss poor verified by visa step.

iPhone 6 and newer, or any version of the Apple Watch.

You might want to change your regional settings to UK, and back to Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

chrislad wrote: »
    Boon Vs Revolut. I have the latter, is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to Boon? Does anyone have much experience with them? I've gotten on fairly well with Revolut in general. They've had some processing issues, where their servers have gone down at least 4 times in the past 6-9 months, but overall, I'd say I'm happy with them.

PTSB have no plans for this either. Very frustrating.

I've just been on to Revolut support for the last hour, via the app, they don't have a clue what's going on over there.

First they told me it would work perfectly, and then after an hour they tell me it's not supported. I can only top up my account via another card that is ApplePay supported, but i can't spend via Revolut x Apple Pay.

Mr.S wrote: »
    At least AIB are finally admitting they are in talks with Apple re Applepay, of course they're going to support it here.

"in talks" doesn't mean much though. I hope they are at a more advanced stage, but they could just have dropped an email to Apple this morning to ask what this Apple Pay thing is all about and accurately say they are "in talks with Apple regarding Apple Pay".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

2 major competitors support it, AIB will get it rolled out ASAP without a doubt.

It's been 3 months since AIB rolled out Android Pay. I don't think any other bank has rolled it out since. Banks are incredibly slow to react to market changes (I work in the software payments industry) and some of the systems they use are too monolithic to be easily changed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AIB's mobile apps are really good, probably better than the Ulster Bank app (I bank with both) but without Touch ID. Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring Apple Pay out soon.

It's been 3 months since AIB rolled out Android Pay. I don't think any other bank has rolled it out since. Banks are incredibly slow to react to market changes (I work in the software payments industry) and some of the systems they use are too monolithic to be easily changed.

I work in the same industry, and whilst yes banks are slow to move it's a well known fact that iOS users spend more money on their devices than Android users, be that online or in the respective App Stores. Wouldn't be surprised if it's offered soon, but I also wouldn't be holding my breath either.

• Advertisement

2 major competitors support it, AIB will get it rolled out ASAP without a doubt.

It would be different it was a bank like PTSB who aren't known for digital products, but AIB are fairly equipped in terms of digital output so they'll for sure have this out soon.

Ah I hope for them they are working on it ... just pointing that a company saying "we are in talks about" something doesn't really mean anything.

Also if you look at other countries where Apple Pay has launched, experience doesn't show that once some banks launch it, other large or good banks automatically follow suit within a few months as you expect (see France where it was launched in July and only one of the very large banks support it alongside some smaller institutions). What's blocking it is nothing technical but is probably related to transaction fees with larger banks trying to get a discount from Apple given their volumes. These things can last for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

awec wrote: »
    AIB's mobile apps are really good, probably better than the Ulster Bank app (I bank with both) but without Touch ID. Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring Apple Pay out soon.
    Ha. Are you joking? Have you ever seen the N26 app? It rains all over the AIB app when it comes to features.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Update: I tried changing the region to the UK and back to Ireland and restarted the phone but still no joy. When I get home I'll try a restore and if that doesn't work I'll get onto apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

BOI declining to even so much as comment?

raw

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Update: I tried changing the region to the UK and back to Ireland and restarted the phone but still no joy. When I get home I'll try a restore and if that doesn't work I'll get onto apple.

What is the battery % on your phone. I couldn't see it earlier. My power was below 20% and off Wifi also. Came home charged phone and on wifi and it appeared. don't know which did it. I do know that apple don't push updates to your phone if the power is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

At least AIB are finally admitting they are in talks with Apple re Applepay, of course they're going to support it here.

Yep AIB will follow suit soon enough, as they support Android Pay.

KBC does Android Pay & now Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Just as a sidenote, but you can also add a subway card to the wallet & scan that for points when buying.

Just had 1st transaction, seamless with no tech bugs or errors with KBC card.

• Advertisement

Just did the same, although had to convince the teller it was possible.

I didn't the teller just said "you want receipt" will be using more over the week, so interested to see some reactions.

Advertisement