Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Just had 1st transaction, seamless with no tech bugs or errors with KBC card.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Just did the same, although had to convince the teller it was possible.
    I didn't the teller just said "you want receipt" will be using more over the week, so interested to see some reactions.

Do we know does apple stick to the €30 limit or is it shop dependant link android pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Razor Russ wrote: »
    What is the battery % on your phone. I couldn't see it earlier. My power was below 20% and off Wifi also. Came home charged phone and on wifi and it appeared. don't know which did it. I do know that apple don't push updates to your phone if the power is low.

I tried it at home this morning before work. I was connected to my home wifi and fully charged. Software is up to date 10.2.1 according to settings. I changed region to the uk and went into wallet and Apple Pay came up, as soon as I changed back to Ireland Apple Pay disappeared! I suspect it could be related to my iTunes account, perhaps it is set to the UK. I'll check when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pnott wrote: »
    I tried it at home this morning before work. I was connected to my home wifi and fully charged. Software is up to date 10.2.1 according to settings. I changed region to the uk and went into wallet and Apple Pay came up, as soon as I changed back to Ireland Apple Pay disappeared! I suspect it could be related to my iTunes account, perhaps it is set to the UK. I'll check when I get home.

I don't think Apple Pay has anything to do with itunes.

Mine all set up now, with Boon and all with Irish settings. All worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Add your cards whilst you're set to UK region, and then reset it to Ireland. The UI stays if you have a card enrolled in Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Just had 1st transaction, seamless with no tech bugs or errors with KBC card.

Just tried it in McDonalds with UB card & it said "no card found"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

OU812 wrote: »
    Just tried it in McDonalds with UB card & it said "no card found"

Weird. Did the phone or the payment terminal say that?

I have been using very regularly with a foreign card but mostly in Ireland since around September 2016, and it has been a flawless experience for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Patww79 wrote: »

Been using Android Pay in McDonalds since launch without any issues..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Patww79 wrote: »

Now that you mention it had one issue where the guy said no. So I said I'd pay by my contactless. He walked away to get the food and I used my phone. Other lad working there just laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Has anyone registered Ulster bank this afternoon? I have tried a few times and verification code has not come through. I tried verifying by phone and they have now changed to a recorded message saying call will not be answered as they have a critical fault. I guess they are just overloaded so will try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Loving apple pay - only got contactless card from UB a couple of months ago so that novelty still hasnt worn off. So far today Ive used it in tesco, pennys and boots without any problems. All transactions wer well under the €30 so not sure if it will work over that amount

Finally got Apple Pay to come up on my iPhone! I had wallet turned off in iCloud and when I turned it back on about 10 minutes later Apple Pay appeared! Well done me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Bob24 wrote: »

I have been using very regularly with a foreign card but mostly in Ireland since around September 2016, and it has been a flawless experience for me.

Was the terminal. Will try it again in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Buster wrote: »
    Has anyone registered Ulster bank this afternoon? I have tried a few times and verification code has not come through. I tried verifying by phone and they have now changed to a recorded message saying call will not be answered as they have a critical fault. I guess they are just overloaded so will try again tomorrow

Set up the wife about a half an hour ago. Text appeared in less than 10 seconds for each of the two cards. Interestingly, one was a contactless debit card and one was an older, ordinary one. Both were added without fuss.

Ingenico terminals don't have the €30 limit on them for Apple Pay transactions. Just paid for my physio using Apple Pay 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What are the benefits in using your phone over contactless card ?

OU812 wrote: »

Was the terminal. Will try it again in the next couple of days

Actually I had kind of forgotten but my iPhone 6 had a hardware issue related to Apple Pay when I started using it 6 months. It would add the card ok but nothing was happening when bringing the phone next to a terminal (no error message though).

If it till doesn't work after a few tries just keep in mind it could be on issue with the phone.

The problem is it is difficult to troubleshoot as Apple will tell you do some things and then try again, but each time you want to try you have to go to a shop buy something - and look like an idiot trying to pay with your phone which obviously doesn't work.

ted1 wrote: »
    What are the benefits in using your phone over contactless card ?

* Phone can't be skimmed
    * Apple Pay keeps a transaction history.
    * Payment requires a finger print.
    * No one has access to your account if they steal your phone, if they steal your contactless card they can rack up a contactless payments.
    * The merchant never gets your real card number. Apple creates a one time use card number at point of sale and uses that, this stops the merchant storing your actual card number and then they get hacked.

• Advertisement

* Phone can't be skimmed
    * No one has access to your account if they steal your phone, if they steal your contactless card they can rack up a contactless payments.
    * The merchant never gets your real card number. Apple creates a one time use card number at point of sale and uses that, this stops the merchant storing your actual card number and then they get hacked.

So security really, but all transactions are protected by the bank so not really a concern of mine.
    How does the transaction history work? I find revolut as is much better than statements/ transactions history that bank usually give

So security really, but all transactions are protected by the bank so not really a concern of mine.
    How does the transaction history work? I find revolut as is much better than statements/ transactions history that bank usually give

A side-effect of the added security is that banks don't feel the need to apply very low payment limits as with contactless cards.

And it it probably a personal thing but there are situations when I find it more convenient to grab my phone than digging out my bank card from the wallet.

One other practical thing to come is for online payments. Only a few currently do, but websites and apps can offer Apple Pay as a payment method which means rather than entering your card details and completing the 3D secure process, you will just have to scan your fingerprint to confirm a payment.

Over all from a user's perspective these are all nice to haves and not must haves, but the features do sum-up as a good additional way of paying.

A side-effect of the added security is that banks don't feel the need to apple very low payment limits as with cards.

And it it probably a personal things but there are situations when I find it more convenient to grab my phone that digging out my bank card from the wallet.

Over all it is all nice to have and not must have.

One other practical thing to come is for online payments. Only a few currently do, but websites and apps can offer Apple Pay as a payment method which means rather than entering your card details and completing the 3D secure process, you will just have to scan your fingerprint to confirm a payment.

Forgot about Apple Pay on the web. Another thing is you can set up shipping details so you don't have to waste time filling all that info out. It's a small detail but a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

* Phone can't be skimmed

Also, just the simple convenience of not having to take your card out or even bring it with you.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, just the simple convenience of not having to take your card out or even bring it with you.

Unless you know you are only going to a specific shop which accepts contactless / Apple Pay, I am not sure this is true yet. If I'm just going out with no specific shop in mind and want to have a reliable way of paying with me, I wouldn't go only with the phone or watch.

But yeah it will probably be the case in a few years time.

murpho999 wrote: »

I'm not convinced, as carrying a card isn't really that much hassle. In fact there's mire instances like going for a run when I find it easier to carry a card than a phone.

I think bpay might suit more people, simple key fobs, brackets etc https://www.bpay.co.uk/home

I'm not convinced, as carrying a card isn't really that much hassle. In fact there's mire instances like going for a run when I find it easier to carry a card than a phone.

I think bpay might suit more people, simple key fobs, brackets etc https://www.bpay.co.uk/home

I'd rather not wear a bracelet just for payments. At least the Apple Watch is multifunctional. A key fob? I'm trying to cut down the things I carry in my pocket not increase them. A sticker? Yeah no thanks! Also limited to contactless card limit? No thank you :)

And an app to control all of the above? The beauty of Apple Pay is there is no app. Just double press the home button on your phone or the side button on the watch and you're in payment mode.

And if you're ok with all of the above. It seems like it's only for the UK market, so more hoops to jump through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Delighted to finally have it. One of the reasons I bought the watch. A shopping we will go. :D

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Delighted to finally have it. One of the reasons I bought the watch. A shopping we will go. :D

As long as the payment terminal is correctly positionioned in the shop, user experience is really good with the Watch and clearly faster than using a card. Nothing to take out of your pocket, no PIN, no app or menus ... just double click on the home button, put your wrist next to the terminal, and you're done!

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried using Apple Pay on their Mac or in an app? I find it bizarre that Apple themselves don't offer Apple Pay as a payment option on their app or the website here but do allow you to pay with Apple pay in other countries.

Advertisement