Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced, as carrying a card isn't really that much hassle. In fact there's mire instances like going for a run when I find it easier to carry a card than a phone.

I think bpay might suit more people, simple key fobs, brackets etc https://www.bpay.co.uk/home

How is using your phone less convenient than a fob?

As for the run example. Who goes shopping when running and many people use a watch or some wearable to record the run so you could use your watch.

Remember this is only the start.

No hassle to carry a card but why do you need a wallet when it can all be on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

pnott wrote: »
    Has anyone tried using Apple Pay on their Mac or in an app? I find it bizarre that Apple themselves don't offer Apple Pay as a payment option on their app or the website here but do allow you to pay with Apple pay in other countries.

I've had it set-up on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac) for a few months and while it's been great at physical retail locations I don't think I've came across a website or an app which offered it as a payment method. I'm not a crazy shopper but I definitely make at least a few online payments each month.

So my experience is that unfortunately at this stage it is rarely an option for online/app purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is using your phone less convenient than a fob?

As for the run example. Who goes shopping when running and many people use a watch or some wearable to record the run so you could use your watch.

Remember this is only the start.

No hassle to carry a card but why do you need a wallet when it can all be on your phone?

I often run the Dart line and end up getting the Dart back might stop off and get a bottle of water or similar. Card is light and handy to carry so no need for a wallet.
    With a watch it'd be handy but I really can't see the advantages of using a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I've never done a contactless payment before. Do you need to tell the person you're doing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Another advantage of Apple Pay over contactless card is not having to put in your PIN on the 3rd/4th use of a contactless card. The phone is just so convenient now.

And those who use contactless card can bow their heads to the almighty, powerful users of Apple Pay. All hail.

• Advertisement

I often run the Dart line and end up getting the Dart back might stop off and get a bottle of water or similar. Card is light and handy to carry so no need for a wallet.
    With a watch it'd be handy but I really can't see the advantages of using a phone.

So you pick one scenario that applies to you and deem Apple Pay as having no advantages despite advantages being listed above.

Why not just take cash with you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would run half the distance, turn around, run back, and save a pointless expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Originally Posted by Deedsie
    Will leap card release a top up app for iOS now?

There's really no reason why you can't use your iPhone in place of the leap card to tap on and off like in London & NYC or else for the leap card to be in the wallet.

Well... one reason... Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

All set up. Can't wait to use it now!

I see that Apple Pay option has been added to my Uber apple I use Uber a lot when traveling. Just wondering is there any advantage to using Apple Pay in Uber as opposed to having my credit card linked to my Uber account. I presume it's the same thing but just wondering am I missing something

OU812 wrote: »
    There's really no reason why you can't use your iPhone in place of the leap card to tap on and off like in London & NYC or else for the leap card to be in the wallet.

Well... one reason... Ireland.

I remember reading on another thread that Leap Card validation machines don't have hardware support for NFC payments and as Appel doens't allow any other use of the contactless chip this is the only thing which would enable direct iPhone payments. So I would hold my breath about using iPhones to pay for public transport in Dublin.

• Advertisement

The Buster wrote: »
    All set up. Can't wait to use it now!

I see that Apple Pay option has been added to my Uber apple I use Uber a lot when traveling. Just wondering is there any advantage to using Apple Pay in Uber as opposed to having my credit card linked to my Uber account. I presume it's the same thing but just wondering am I missing something

I think the main difference is that if you only use Apple Pay Uber doesn't know your credit card number and is never allowed to get money from your card unless you specifically approve a payment by scanning your fingerprint on the phone.

And of course this is only valid if you solely use Apple devices to make your Uber payments: if you give Uber your CC details so that you can pay from another platform it will negate these advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Made another transaction this morning over the €30 limit on contactless payments. I know it's possible, just didn't expect Irish merchant terminals to be set up this way.

This time it was a Verifone terminal at a Texaco :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Great to know. My fear was all would be configured to the €30 limit. I assume this is the responsibility of the terminal rather than each shop updating their configuration.

List that accept amounts over €30:

Ingenico
    Verifone

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Bob24 wrote: »
    I remember reading on another thread that Leap Card validation machines don't have hardware support for NFC payments and as Appel doens't allow any other use of the contactless chip this is the only thing which would enable direct iPhone payments. So I would hold my breath about using iPhones to pay for public transport in Dublin.

Article on Independent.ie from last year stating they are currently upgrading their IT infrastructure due for completion this year, Apple Pay mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Great to know. My fear was all would be configured to the €30 limit. I assume this is the responsibility of the terminal rather than each shop updating their configuration.

List that accept amounts over €30:

Ingenico
    Verifone
    The limits are set by the payment provider on agreement with the merchant, not the terminal manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Still no Android Pay for Ulster Bank. Ridiculous considering they have it set up for Apple Pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Belfunk wrote: »
    Article on Independent.ie from last year stating they are currently upgrading their IT infrastructure due for completion this year, Apple Pay mentioned.

Apple would still need to open up their NFC chip to third party developers so it could be used for Leap. Using Apple Pay on public transport would work out very expensive. But I guess if Dublin Bus validators had live internet connections and supported loading top-ups onto your card instead of having to go the shop there would no need for your phone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bob24 wrote: »
    Unless you know you are only going to a specific shop which accepts contactless / Apple Pay, I am not sure this is true yet. If I'm just going out with no specific shop in mind and want to have a reliable way of paying with me, I wouldn't go only with the phone or watch.

But yeah it will probably be the case in a few years time.

I don't think I've been in a shop that doesn't accept contactless in the last few months.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I've never done a contactless payment before. Do you need to tell the person you're doing it ?

No, if the terminal supports contactless you just touch your card / phone / watch off it when the enter pin screen is up. Usually you'll see the contactless icon (looks like wifi icon sideways).

Just it for first time via Boon app. Worked perfectly. Fingerprint was used without pin for those who were concerned about that.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've been in a shop that doesn't accept contactless in the last few months.

Let alone contactless, quite a few small coffee shops, restaurants or shops in town don't even take card payments (or no card payment for amounts below 5 or 10 euros).

Also I go to UCD for evening courses and one place I can think of on top of my head which accepts card payments but not contactless is their student canteen. Same for one of the pharmacies around my place. That's what comes to mind now but there is more and I definitely have to resort to chip and pint regularly.

I really like apple pay but in 2017 I would not recommend it as the sole mean of payment to carry around.

Supervalu in Dun Laoghaire is one I can think of straight away. Strange for such a big shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apple would still need to open up their NFC chip to third party developers so it could be used for Leap. Using Apple Pay on public transport would work out very expensive. But I guess if Dublin Bus validators had live internet connections and supported loading top-ups onto your card instead of having to go the shop there would no need for your phone to do it.

I'd imagine their solution would be to use your contactless card as your leap card just like the oyster card in london, tagging on and off is the key here so that the leap system can deduct the correct fare and partial refund if you haven't travelled the full price fare distance.

that way apple pay can be used easily. No need for apple to open up the NFC chip.

However turnstiles are made for right handed people both here and in london :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just used it for lunch in Omni Santry Obriens. Girl behind the counter was surprised to see it work but more surprised how excited i was.

Love the recent transaction list to show what you are buying. Will be great for nights out!

GSPfan wrote: »
    Love the recent transaction list to show what you are buying. Will be great for nights out!

What's good about this (and instant notifications) is also that it tells you clearly if a payment was successful or not. So if a cashier tells you a payment failed you don't have to just believe what they say and hope they're correct, you can see if your phone tells you the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Tried it by watch earlier. Super fast. very efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Used at lunchtime in Tesco for a small amount using my watch. Simple and fantastically efficient.

Just checking my Wallet App or through settings, the transaction has not shown up yet? Is there a delay in this information appearing?

tallpaul wrote: »
    Used at lunchtime in Tesco for a small amount using my watch. Simple and fantastically efficient.

Just checking my Wallet App or through settings, the transaction has not shown up yet? Is there a delay in this information appearing?

Apple Pay on the watch and on the phone are completely independent, and there is no transaction history on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

does everybody have to key in the passcode to enable for a payment? I'd like to use the fingerprint reader like in the ads (mastercard on ulster bank)

EDIT: found it! it wasn't enabled under the touch ID options :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

Still no support for Bank of Ireland :(

Advertisement