Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Still no support for Bank of Ireland :(
    There won't be for some time, they haven't even expressed interest in it.

Apple Pay launched in France a year ago and there's still sat on the same launch partners so if you want Apple Pay, you'd be better off moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Bob24 wrote: »
    Apple Pay on the watch and on the phone are completely independent, and there is no transaction history on the watch.

Sorry yes I know that. I'm looking at the Wallet app on my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

awec wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it would start leaking once the banks start working to enable it for their customers, which would presumably be months before the announcement date.
    LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    It's a case of them wanting to work with Irish Banks. Seeing as we still don't have an Apple Shop in the republic I don't think it's very likely we will see Apple Pay soon. My guess is they don't see very much potential outside of Dublin meaning they would rather invest in the likes of Germany and France first.

Android Pay is a different Story as Googles Dublin Operations is massive - so likely there are ties and connections to the Irish banks, in comparison Apples Operation is rather small and based in cork.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it ever came to Ireland. Bedside Siri and Apple Music what else have we gotten?
    The way I see it. Ireland is small fry and not worth Apples efforts. We get all the low hanging fruit. But that's about it. How many years did it take Irish Siri to arrive? We don't even have Siri for the Apple TV?

I don't see us getting Apple Pay if even for a second the Irish banks decide to play hard ball with Apple.
    That's because it required no real effort on Apples part. If it was going to be too difficult to produce enough iPhones, Ireland would not have been in tier 1.

As regards to Apple Pay in New Zealand. Again, it probably didn't require as much effort to roll out, as it most likely is in Ireland.
    awec wrote: »
    Ulster Bank still don't give out contactless debit cards so I doubt they'd be the first to hop onto Apple Pay.

Just looking back at the predictions on the first couple of pages. Funny to see how wrong some people were.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would run half the distance, turn around, run back, and save a pointless expense.

I don't know where half way is!! Sometimes I tend to Forrest Gump it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ted1 wrote: »
    I don't know where half way is!!

There's an app for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just looking back at the predictions on the first couple of pages. Funny to see how wrong some people were.:P

It is not a surprise as it seems to have been the same in other countries, but I am wondering how Apple is able to prevent any leaks from partner banks before launch day. I know they must be getting them to sign NDAs, but one employee or previous employ who worked on the project at some point and mentions it to a friend is difficult to avoid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It is not a surprise as it seems to have been the same in other countries, but I am wondering how Apple is able to prevent any leaks from partner banks before launch day. I know they must be getting them to sign NDAs, but one employee or previous employ who worked on the project at some point and mentions it to a friend is difficult to avoid.

There was rumblings to suggest Apple planned to launch in the new year, hence this thread which I started in December. Ireland doesn't have much of a tech press, though, so that was the extent of it. Launches in other countries were more clearly signposted in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

tallpaul wrote: »
    Sorry yes I know that. I'm looking at the Wallet app on my phone!

The tap and pay card with UB can sometimes take a day or two to show, might be that.

I think the real bonus here is for when we travel, being Apple to use the watch and phone now makes our devices that little bit sweeter. I'd given up hope of us getting, nearly fell out of bed when I read it first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

naasrd wrote: »
    The tap and pay card with UB can sometimes take a day or two to show, might be that.
    That's to do with the retailer taking a few days to tell the bank about the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I think the real bonus here is for when we travel, being Apple to use the watch and phone now makes our devices that little bit sweeter. I'd given up hope of us getting, nearly fell out of bed when I read it first thing Monday morning.

For sure ... In Eurozone ... Revolut for non-Euro zone - (no stealth bank charges).

Would be nice if Revolut was supported by Apple pay ... it is on their roadmap as far as I know.

One of the best features of Revolut is sending money via the app to other Revolut users in your contacts.
    I assume this feature will come to Apple Pay via iMessage in next IOS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Not sure about that .... Used UB card last with phone - and it should up instantly in my transactions in wallet on phone.

The UB app still says ... "Debit Card transaction" which will get updated by merchant info.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Not sure about that .... Used UB card last with phone - and it should up instantly in my transactions in wallet on phone.

The UB app still says ... "Debit Card transaction" which will get updated by merchant info.

There are two different things: the transaction will show up instantly on the phone as it is validated through the phone, but it can take some time to show up on people's online banking of the merchant does offline validation (only for small amounts).

But I think the original question was about payment with an Apple Watch, in which case there is no history as the UI on the watch doesn't offer that functionality and the transaction list from the watch is not shared with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

But I think the original question was about payment wit hand Apple Watch, in which case there is no history as the UI on the watch doesn't offer that functionality and the transaction list from the watch is not shared with the phone.

Which is dumb & very unlike Apple

keith_d99 wrote: »
    For sure ... In Eurozone ... Revolut for non-Euro zone - (no stealth bank charges).

Would be nice if Revolut was supported by Apple pay ... it is on their roadmap as far as I know.

One of the best features of Revolut is sending money via the app to other Revolut users in your contacts.
    I assume this feature will come to Apple Pay via iMessage in next IOS version.

People seem to think that Apple Pay is available everywhere. It's rollout is slow, only available in two other Eurozone countries. Spain and France.

Italy and Germany to follow this year.
    Outside of the Eurozone it's available in:

US, UK, Canada New Zealand, Australia China, Singapore, Switzerland,Hong Kong, Russia, Japan and Taiwan.

So not that many countries really.

Ireland actually did pretty well when you look at it.

OU812 wrote: »

Yes and no: it is a shame but I think they had valid security and privacy reasons to isolate and protect Apple Pay data on each device (as they do with Touch ID data).

Agreed it is strange the watch UI doesn't show a transaction history though.

People seem to think that Apple Pay is available everywhere. It's rollout is slow, only available in two other Eurozone countries. Spain and France.

As far as travelling is concerned it doesn't really matter to us though: even though lets say Austrian banks don't offer Apple Pay, you can still go to Austria and use your Irish Apple Pay at most contactless payment terminals there.

As far as travelling is concerned it doesn't really matter to us though: even though lets say Austrian banks don't offer Apple Pay, you can still go to Austria and use your Irish Apple Pay at most contactless payment terminals there.

Ok, that would be great. Do we know this for certain?

I am amazed at how slow the rollout is if this is the case.

You can use Apple Pay where there is a contactless payment option. People have been using it here since it launched some years back and we only got it days ago.

I am amazed at how slow the rollout is if this is the case.

Yes pretty sure as nowadays most contactless terminals in Europe support token based payments (Apple is the main promoter but it is not Apple specific technology).

I have been using Apple Pay in Ireland for months with a French card even though Irish banks were not offering it and it has worked flawlessly almost everywhere. The only place I came across which accepts contactless but wouldn't work with Apple Pay is the Fresh supermarket on Grand Canal Square.

Edit: places like Japan or China are a different story though, as in China Apple Pay relies on the UnionPay network (Chinese equivalent of Visa or MasterCard) and if I am not mistaken the contact technology used in Japan is slightly different which lead Apple to release a slightly different hardware version of the iPhone and Apple Watch there to support it.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »

Agreed!! Although what is VERY Apple is that the screen on my iPhone automatically brightens when I open the wallet app regardless of my brightness settings to ensure that it works correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Works on KBC debit AND credit cards. Handy. Both cards now on one device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Lads any retailer that has contactless as a payment option will accept Apple Pay is that correct ?

Lads any retailer that has contactless as a payment option will accept Apple Pay is that correct ?

Technically this is not correct as Apple Pay uses a different (and safer) way to process transactions compared to contactless cards. And some (very few) retailer still have payment terminals which don't support it.

But in practice you are almost correct and places which support contactless but not Apple Pay will be exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Merchants have the ability to turn off contactless altogether. Some US merchants have been doing this as they can't see as much transaction data as they could with normal card process.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Halfords in Cork doesn't have support Apple Pay, iPhone didn't even recognise the terminal, I love how fast it is where it works though

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

I used my watch at McDonalds yesterday. the teller was confused but it worked straight away.

Used in Smyth's today. They even had Apple Pay logos by the terminal in the games section.

Also used on the self-service kiosks in McDonalds without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What are the charges for using it abroad (in the UK making payments in Sterling etc)?

Same charges apply I'd assume?

Advertisement