Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay now available in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

callaway92 wrote: »
    What are the charges for using it abroad (in the UK making payments in Sterling etc)?

Same charges apply I'd assume?

Exact same charge as using your physical credit/debit card (with many Irish banks it means it is not ideal for small transactions as they will have a minimum fee of circa 45 cents regardless of the payment amount).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bob24 wrote: »
    Exact same charge as using your physical credit/debit card.

Can't believe I thought it would be potentially otherwise!

Might as well load up the English card on it so. I assume Natwest is accepted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

tallpaul wrote: »
    Used in Smyth's today. They even had Apple Pay logos by the terminal in the games section.
    They've been there nearly two years and up to recently displayed the £ symbol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Question when paying with Apple watch - it says to use this feature I've to set up a pin on my watch. Is it not a bit inconvenient when using the watch day-to-day to have to unlock it all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Question when paying with Apple watch - it says to use this feature I've to set up a pin on my watch. Is it not a bit inconvenient when using the watch day-to-day to have to unlock it all the time?

You only have to unlock it when you put it on your wrist first. you can also set up the watch that the iPhone will unlock it that one time through your Touch ID sensor. On a side note it will also unlock you Mac once the watch stays on your wrist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Cool. Going to take it for a spin tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

New update to the Apple Store app added buy with Apple Pay this morning.

Will make preordering new iPhones that bit easier :)

Actually does Apple Pay support delayed payment?

Currently if you pre-order they will take your CC details but won't charge it until the order ships - without further action required from you after the initial pre-order. Is the same thing possible with Apple Pay since the merchant doesn't know the credit card details and each transaction needs to be validated by the user as it is being processed? (of course Apple is a specific case since they are the ones running the Apple Pay infrastructure, but your average merchant?)

I'd imagine it can do the same pre-auth checks and or holds that credit cards can do right now. but I have no hard evidence that it's 100% true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Been using this everywhere i went since it launched and haven't had any issues so far. I have encountered nearly every shop worker being either a little bewildered or surprised that it works. Retailers should really brief their staff and issue them with their policy on it.

I've started saying "I'll pay with a card" to shop assistants so they activate the machine and then hold my phone on the terminal, I can see them about to say something to me but it's already beeped and approved before they get the chance :)

I find it incredibly fast! It's very convenient as I'm always on my phone while standing in the Q (like nearly everyone else) and all I have to do now is hold the phone up to the terminal and carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Woodies don't take it

Very odd, their POS' have the Apple Pay logo on the screen? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Of course, I doubt anyone in Woodie's stuck it there, but it's odd that the software would display the logo yet not accept it. I'm not surprised, just confused as to where the decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

OU812 wrote: »
    Woodies don't take it

Would they not allow you to try or did the machine reject it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just used in Molloys Off License, I was there 1st Apple Pay customer. It was like I was given the staff a demo on how it works a funny 30 seconds.

Arbie wrote: »
    Would they not allow you to try or did the machine reject it?

Tried it against the machine & nothing happened.

Did they try turn it off and back on again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was the terminal definitely on and ready? The operator would have to press the button for card payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I updated the App and I don't see the Apple Pay option.

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    Did they try turn it off and back on again?

LOL, no.
    Was the terminal definitely on and ready? The operator would have to press the button for card payment.

Yeah she did, there was a big android pay sticker & it was on the terminal screen also. Nothing for AP, held the phone up against it & nada. Ended up using a CC.

I updated the App and I don't see the Apple Pay option.

Odd have you gone into your bag and or logged into your account?

CVBiVq1.jpg

Odd have you gone into your bag and or logged into your account?

CVBiVq1.jpg

Strange I have added the same as in the picture and it doesn't show the Apple Pay option.

Maybe it because I'm not set up for Apple Pay.

Maybe it because I'm not set up for Apple Pay.

I think that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Anybody any idea when we can use AIB or BofI cards with apple pay?

AIB are in talks so they say no timeframe so it's anybody's guess.

Could be in 3 months or in 3 years, no-one knows (the blocker is more commercial than technical, they could find an agreement quickly or they could be negotiating for another few months/years).

So in short if you definitely want to use Apple Pay in the short term don't count on AIB or BoI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Given than they already support Android Pay and have said they are in talks with Apple, I can see AIB following shortly. BOI don't seem bothered about anything including losing customers so it will probably be a while.

I'm actually surprised Apple lancuhed without the 2 'big' banks in Ireland. I had assumed a prerequisite was AIB and BOI onboard, AIB at a minimum as it's fairly dominant. Apple tend to hold back on things until they are happy with them and can boast things like "Apple Pay is available to 90% of the population on day 1 of launch"

I guess they decided to run with KBC and Ulster Bank as they didn't want to be too far behind Android Pay.

It also gives them leverage with the remaining banks as they won't want to be left behind and I can see them getting hammered on social media with "when is Apple Pay coming"

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised Apple lancuhed without the 2 'big' banks in Ireland. I had assumed a prerequisite was AIB and BOI onboard, AIB at a minimum as it's fairly dominant. Apple tend to hold back on things until they are happy with them and can boast things like "Apple Pay is available to 90% of the population on day 1 of launch"

I guess they decided to run with KBC and Ulster Bank as they didn't want to be too far behind Android Pay.

It also gives them leverage with the remaining banks as they won't want to be left behind and I can see them getting hammered on social media with "when is Apple Pay coming"

Aside from the UK, if you look at the other European countries where they have launched in the past year they don't have many major retail banks on board (in France they only have one of the large banking networks, and in Spain and Switzerland to my knowledge they don't have anyone them and only rely on smaller financial institutions).

Advertisement