Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microchip Cert?

• 07-12-2016 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just recieved an email from Fido.ie informing me that although my dog is chipped and registered with them (for the past 5/6years), I'm expected to purchase a certificate of this. Naturally this is due to new regulations etc. and I'll need to fork out €7.50 for admin fees etc..

Are they taking the piss? Why would I bother - the dog is registered?? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is the fee gone up to €7.50? It was €4.50 for dogs already on the Fido database.
    It's not really Fido's fault op... By law you must produce the Certificate of Microchipping if requested... This is an official, legal document. The old receipt from Fido from days of yore is not enough, and neither will the warden scan your dog to prove it's chipped... You must produce the official cert.
    Fido need to do some background checks, print the cert and post it out to you, hence the fee. They are one of a small handful of organisations licensed to issue the certificates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Got the same. Who is going to be asking for a microchipping cert, just out of curiosity ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Got the same. Who is going to be asking for a microchipping cert, just out of curiosity ?

The dog warden or the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So noone then

Zulu wrote: »
    So noone then

Depends on where you live... some wardens are more pro-active than others on license and chip checks.
    It's also, I'd imagine, one of those things that won't matter until it matters. If you happen to draw the warden's attention to yourself (say... a complaint from a 3rd party, or an unmuzzled RB, or not picking up poop, etc etc), and your dog isn't chipped, it'll just add to your list of woes and fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I find the whole microchip registration confusing.

My dog was chipped in 2013, before it was mandatory. I have a Certificate of Registration from Pet Trace, with a postal address for DSPCA in Rathfarnham. You can't check the chip on DSPCA website, but you can on Europet, which then tells you that the chip is registered with DSPCA.

If my dog is lost or stolen, and scanned somewhere, are all databases checked, or do I need to register again with Fido.ie? I would just like to be sure that the chip shows up somewhere.

If DSPCA is all that comes up on a Europetnet search, then that's the only database the chip is registered to.
    Without any doubt, Fido is the most "rescue-friendly" database, in that trusted rescues, pounds, and vets can immediately access the database to enter a found pet's details, and get the owner's contact details straight away. With the other databases, you may have to wait til the next working day to get a human on the phone to search for you.
    So, I'd suggest that you register your dog with Fido. In doing so, they will automatically issue you with a Certificate of Microchipping in the post, once you've done the bits you have to do to register. The certificate you have now is not the legally required Certificate of Microchipping.

Advertisement