Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 highest-paid players in the Premier League

• 07-12-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

The top 20 highest paid players in the Premier League according to the Daily Mail.

1: PAUL POGBA (MAN UTD)
    £290,000 a week

2: WAYNE ROONEY (MAN UTD)
    £260,000 a week

3: ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC (MAN UTD)
    £250,000 a week

4: SERGIO AGUERO (MAN CITY)
    £240,000 a week

5: YAYA TOURE (MAN CITY)
    £220,000 a week

6: EDEN HAZARD (CHELSEA)
    £200,000 a week

7: DAVID SILVA (MAN CITY)
    £200,000 a week

8: DAVID DE GEA (MAN UTD)
    £185,000 a week

9: RAHEEM STERLING (MAN CITY)
    £180,000 a week

10. KEVIN DE BRUYNE (MAN CITY)
    £170,000 a week

11. CESC FABREGAS (CHELSEA)
    £170,000 a week

12. MESUT OZIL (ARSENAL)
    £140,000 a week

13. JUAN MATA (MAN UTD)
    £140,000 a week

14. BASTIAN SCHWEINSTEIGER (MAN UTD)
    £135,000 a week

15. ALEXIS SANCHEZ (ARSENAL)
    £130,000 a week

16. DIMITRI PAYET (WEST HAM)
    £125,000 a week

17. WILLIAN (CHELSEA)
    £120,000 a week

18. VINCENT KOMPANY (MAN CITY)
    £120,000 a week

19. DANIEL STURRIDGE (LIVERPOOL)
    £120,000 a week

20. THIBAUT COURTOIS (CHELSEA)
    £120,000 a week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4008396/Paul-Pogba-290-000-week-Yaya-Toure-220-000-Eden-Hazard-200-000-Arsenal-superstar-Alexis-Sanchez-15th-best-paid-player-Premier-League.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Or, if you prefer, in euro (at current pound:euro rates):

1: PAUL POGBA (MAN UTD)
    €340,000 a week

2: WAYNE ROONEY (MAN UTD)
    €305,000 a week

3: ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC (MAN UTD)
    €293,000 a week

4: SERGIO AGUERO (MAN CITY)
    €281,000 a week

5: YAYA TOURE (MAN CITY)
    €258,000 a week

6: EDEN HAZARD (CHELSEA)
    €234,000 a week

7: DAVID SILVA (MAN CITY)
    €234,000 a week

8: DAVID DE GEA (MAN UTD)
    €217,000 a week

9: RAHEEM STERLING (MAN CITY)
    €211,000 a week

10. KEVIN DE BRUYNE (MAN CITY)
    €199,000 a week

11. CESC FABREGAS (CHELSEA)
    €199,000 a week

12. MESUT OZIL (ARSENAL)
    €164,000 a week

13. JUAN MATA (MAN UTD)
    €164,000 a week

14. BASTIAN SCHWEINSTEIGER (MAN UTD)
    €158,000 a week

15. ALEXIS SANCHEZ (ARSENAL)
    €152,000 a week

16. DIMITRI PAYET (WEST HAM)
    €146,000 a week

17. WILLIAN (CHELSEA)
    €140,000 a week

18. VINCENT KOMPANY (MAN CITY)
    €140,000 a week

19. DANIEL STURRIDGE (LIVERPOOL)
    €140,000 a week

20. THIBAUT COURTOIS (CHELSEA)
    €140,000 a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

About 8 of those 20 aren't regular starters for their clubs this year. Interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You'd feel shafted if you were Ozil and Sanchez when you see some or the chumps ahead of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You'd feel shafted if you were Ozil and Sanchez when you see some or the chumps ahead of them.

They should leave for a club that will pay those salaries then.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

United with the 3 highest earners and looking like its gonna be a struggle to get 4th.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Pogba and Rooney are robbing United blind. That's sick money for what they're producing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How accurate are these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Those United lads better be shifting a LOT of jerseys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

godtabh wrote: »
    How accurate are these?

Well, they're from the Daily Mail, who I wouldn't generally be a big fan of (see link at base of first post).

On the other hand, they're one of the biggest newspapers in the world and have a vast amount of sources, data and articles to draw upon when compiling the figures. In the article itself, they do give themselves the out-clause of "All [are] estimated figures pre-tax".

We're never going to get absolutely definitive figures unless the clubs or players themselves (i.e. the actual parties to the contracts) offer up that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's just sick how much these players and all top sports starts in major sports are earning these days.

The ordinary man on the street really needs to cop on and stop paying for the likes of Sky and BT Sports. You'll have more money in your pocket if you do and they'll be earning less and for me they are both good things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

£185k is some coin for a goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

9 of the top 10 are in Manchester. Apparently you need to pay people well to live in Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's just sick how much these players and all top sports starts in major sports are earning these days.

The ordinary man on the street really needs to cop on and stop paying for the likes of Sky and BT Sports. You'll have more money in your pocket if you do and they'll be earning less and for me they are both good things.

And what will this change? It just means you dont get to watch the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

sturridge letting the side down..
    he should be on a pay per play instead of just turning up on a thursday just to cash his 140k giro.. then back to jeremy kyle

Pogba be like,
    'stand in middle of pitch few times, get 340k a week'
    'Repeat'
    'Profit'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

They should leave for a club that will pay those salaries then.

As an Arsenal fan I'm going to assume that Sanchez and Ozil will be offered improved contracts and they fully deserve to be paid in the top bracket. If Arsenal don't offer it than someone else will and they only have themselves to blame.

Players will go for the money as can be seen by the top earners on this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not at all convinced by the accuracy of some of those figures, but if the point is that footballers get paid too much then yeah I agree. Its sick, but thats sports these days, huge revenues = high salary.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

While I can't begrudge the players getting paid that much money, they deserve a share of the pot, you could definitely begrudge a few of those players for the sum they're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Christ, United pay some money for garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jive wrote: »
    £185k is some coin for a goalkeeper
    De Gea has some influence for a goalkeeper too though, if life were fair he'd probably by Man Utd's highest earner having quite comfortably been their best player for a good half decade now.

• Advertisement

Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) £33.4m 640k a week
    Fernando Alonso (McLaren) £32m 615k a week
    Lewis Hamilton (Mercedez) £31m 596k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

If that list is true then Sanchez is criminally underpaid!

Ardent wrote: »
    If that list is true then Sanchez is criminally underpaid!

I think the word 'relatively' is BADLY needed in that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) £33.4m 640k a week
    Fernando Alonso (McLaren) £32m 615k a week
    Lewis Hamilton (Mercedez) £31m 596k a week

Yeah but their goals per game ratio is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I must be in the minority that doesn't mind at all how much the players are paid.

Surely it's just a reflection of how popular the game is? And it is entertainment at the end of the day. I never hear anyone begrudging a movie star earning millions, if anything they tend to get admired for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I can never understand why people go mental over how much footballers are paid yet people seem to have much less issue with how much big movie stars are making, athletes from other sports, musicians ect. True unlike other sports half decent footballers get paid a fortune, the guy ranked number 150 in tennis isn't getting millions but the 150 best footballer will be. Athletes from most sports, Musicians and major film and tv stars are all paid crazy money why is it people take such an issue with footballers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It takes players like Pelle that go to China for about 250k a week, that make these contracts seem some what normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mata on half of what Pogba earns but is IMO Uniteds best player this season. Crazy money spent on Pogba overall. United payout some amounts in fairness but the return isn't quite there. You'd have to imagine if results dont improve they'll have to feel that financially at some point. Probably won't get to a point where it will hurt them too much though in fairness.

Arsenal done some great business with Ozil and Sanchez.

Sturridge being on so much is also a bit of an eye opener also. He is no longer the number one player at LFC he was when he signed that contract though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Some people have an issue with players earning big money because some of them put in **** all effort once they get their big contracts, Schweinsteiger, Pogba (he'll probbaly eventually justify his wages),Rooney ,Yaya Toure,Sturridge of those on the list are basically stealing a large part of their living at the moment.

I don't begrudge Messi,Ronaldo,Aguero etc the huge money they are on but so many players within soccer I think are overpaid compared to what they deliver (partly because there is no salary cap) and there never seems to be any punishment for not delivering on the field.I guess that pisses people off.

Also the reason people don't complain about movie stars getting paid so much is firstly they are generally paid relative to the income they generate for a movie and if they are consistently shown to not be able to generate revenue they won't get good offers and so they are punished for their lack of appeal and also movie stars have never been sold as being representatives of the working class whereas soccer players have.There has always been glitz and glamour attached the movie stars whereas up until the last 20 years or so soccer players were portrayed as being more down to earth and more on a par with the supporters.Attending professional soccer is much more expensive than going to the cinema and so it probably feels like more of a rip off if a player under performs.

I couldn't care less what the players are paid however I can under stand how fans are pissed off with the money certain under performing players earn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kirby wrote: »

The thinking would be that if lots of people don't pay sky and BT subscriptions. The next TV deal would be worth less to the clubs and then wages would drop. On the list Sanchez deserves to be much higher. A brilliant attitude , rarely misses games through injury and is one of the best if not the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I can never understand why people go mental over how much footballers are paid yet people seem to have much less issue with how much big movie stars are making, athletes from other sports, musicians ect. True unlike other sports half decent footballers get paid a fortune, the guy ranked number 150 in tennis isn't getting millions but the 150 best footballer will be. Athletes from most sports, Musicians and major film and tv stars are all paid crazy money why is it people take such an issue with footballers?

I can see what you mean but it would make me have a slight less interest in the premier league looking at how much some of them are on. I think it makes it harder for some fans to connect with the players, if I was living in Manchester earning £400 a week and spending a decent chunk of this going to watch United play and then you see the likes of Rooney and Pogba putting in crap performances and the whole team underperforming it would really make me question my support.

It's not my money at the end of the day so I don't really care what clubs pay for players or pay them a week, as you said it's a sign of how popular the game is - but it has made me lose some interest in it as a whole. I will watch games between the top clubs or the big games as a source of entertainment but I find myself caring about elite level football less and less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a rich man's game - on the pitch and in the stands corporate boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

godtabh wrote: »
    How accurate are these?

I've seen Pogba shoot and it hasn't been pretty this season. Rooney hasn't been the same for about 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't you know that if these players were paid less then nurses would magically get a big pay raise, and the miners would all get their jobs back, because thats how economics works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For a year or two and then all of a sudden there will be no sports channels and all this stuff returns to terrestial tv who won't pay those ridiculous sums to show football which means less for the players because the money isn't there anymore.

Meanwhile the ordinary man on the street has more money in his pocket because he doesn't have to play for sports tv.

I'm not just talking about one sport here btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A large amount of the Pogba, Rooney and Zlatan wages will be image rights based I'd say too.

Not that it matters too much, they should be doing better to justify their cash but the 3 biggest names at the world's most marketable clubs are going to have inflated wages these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pogba is a world superstar in fairness. We as old farts probably don't realise it but all the youngsters love him, that dab thing is absolutely everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder who the highest paid Irish player is in the Premier League. i would think Long or Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder who the highest paid Irish player is in the Premier League. i would think Long or Coleman.

Probably Coleman alright, as he signed his extension in 2014 when there was interest from bigger clubs.

John O'Shea could be a dark horse though...probably got a good deal when he signed with Sunderland from United, and was their captain and a fairly key player for them when he signed his last extension with them a few years ago.

I'd still say Coleman by a fair bit though, and his next deal (be-it extension or move) will probably be double any other Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Cannot get over how much the F1 guys get paid.

Lost interest in it years ago but wouldn't have thought it had the money in it for those salaries anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Danger money

Maybe because one wants to feel an affinity. There was never a connection between, say, Hollywood stars and the common man, going back decades. Whereas many will remember the early 80s when it seemed like all a decent footballer wanted to earn was enough money to buy a pub. In fact, the £20 cap existed into the early 60s, so what has some a little concerned is how much the wages have increased, and increased exponentially. The increase in wages symbolises a growing disconnect, so while of course it can be said in their defence that wages are higher elsewhere, in few other disciplines can people retort with "it wasn't so long ago they weren't".

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Laughing since i read this at 5 o clock,swiney is taking 135k a weekout of the coffers at OT,:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Laughing since i read this at 5 o clock,swiney is taking 135k a weekout of the coffers at OT,:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Other articles have him on up to 200k,contract till 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Other articles have him on up to 200k,contract till 2018

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Pogba is a world superstar in fairness. We as old farts probably don't realise it but all the youngsters love him, that dab thing is absolutely everywhere.

Had to Google dab. Apparently it's a dance.

Hope it's just not me that never heard of it until now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pretty sure Cam Newton in NFL made the dab a thing. But I could be wrong.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Had to Google dab. Apparently it's a dance.

Hope it's just not me that never heard of it until now!!

In the school where I work you see kids as young as 4 and 5 'dabbing' constantly.

It's quite odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fans not complaining about those salaries but at the same time are forced to share 1 season ticket with 3 friends otherwise they cant afford to see a match in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

the guy ranked number 150 in tennis isn't getting millions but the 150 best footballer will be.
    Just checked, the guy ranked 150 in the world in tennis made $95k this year. When you consider the fact he has to fly around the world and pay for hotels, he's probably earning not much more than the average industrial wage. Mad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement