Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet for possible ibs

• 07-12-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please recommend a food for a medium sized dog (staffy/lurcher x) with possible ibs, hasn't been diagnosed, getting him down to the vets can be a bit stressful for him and me. He vomits sometimes, normally in the morning and his poop can go from fully formed to paste like (never full on diarrhoea). He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but the farting out of him even disgusts my 8 year old and she loves farting.
    His diet at the moment is aldi chicken kibble with a mix of raw/cooked chicken and fish.

Would just like to try him on a food that is aimed at dogs with sensitive stomachs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

any supermarket brand kibble is rubbish quality

There are dozens of threads on here about decent quality food, do a search.
    Where are you based - is there a good pet supply store near you?

I would suggest going for a grain free good quality kibble -
    ARCANA/Taste of the wild/James Wellbeloved/Orijen/Marcus Muhle are some good ones.

The fact that its a lurcher x will mean its naturally skinny/light, Im sure that some more knowledgable folks for diet will be along soon with more advice.Messy poo, farting and vomiting would certainly indicate you need to do something about his food. Have you taken him to a vet for testing, to ensure that there is nothing seriously wrong. That should be your first step.

I feed home cooked and started many years ago when I had an elderly dog with allergies/bloat issues. I take any chicken or fish or beef - whatevers on offer - boil it up enough water to make it soupy, with brown rice, bit of potato, veggies. Take the bones out. Let it cool. I cook enough for a week/time. I use chicken thighs, or frozen white fish from Tesco, or mince for variety, occassionaly liver or other offal.

Remember it'll take a couple of weeks on a new food before you see any lasting improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aonb wrote: »
    any supermarket kibble is rubbish quality

Actually you now can get Lily's Kitchen, Barking Heads, Naturo (not sure if i spelled that right - the wet trays!) and Harrigtons in Tesco/Dunnes these days.

I personally wouldn't feed dry food to a dog with a sensitive tummy just because of it swelling up in their tummy and sitting there. I raw feed myself but if the dog is throwing up you have the hygiene issues of them throwing up raw meat and then the stink factor as tripe is the preferred food for sensitive/upset tummies and it smells even worse when it comes back up(!):eek: I'd go for a sensitive wet food e.g Rocco Sensible from zooplus or even home cook as aonb suggested.

Just about the morning vomiting - is it undigested food or watery/foamy bile? If it's bile then it's probably hunger pukes. I have to give Bailey a supper in the evenings or he'll throw up during the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Our dog had big enough digestive problems when we got her, all kinds of nastiness when she did her business.
    After getting a couple of different medications it dawned on me that if grains are terrible for some people then surely after sharing our diet for 30 000 years maybe it's an issue for dogs too.
    I was right cutting out all grains sorted most of the problems. Then what cured it FULLY was cutting out tap water, turns out dogs can't handle bleach, who would've guessed?!
    Thanks Irish Water!

Advertisement